Using an engine stand - is it ok?

Today I was hoping to mount my engine on a Sealey engine stand. You have to mount it via four gearbox housing bolt holes - this put a huge force on the casting but how elese can it be done - is this going to be okay? Thanks

ES550.jpg?20100227152704000

Well I have had a TR6 engine on one and no damage was caused . Unless you get it really well balanced though , they are not easy to use in regards turning the engine over .

I've got my TR3a engine hanging on one at the moment and it seems to be OK although I didn't like the idea of it hanging on four itsy bitsy gearbox studs holes with the top two in tension so I drilled a piece of pressed channel which was about 4" x 1" and about 1/8" thick which I happened to have in the garage so that it fitted across the top 4 mounting holes and I then bolted that to the upper holes in the stand.

It is a b*gg*er to turn over so I made sure that the rotating part was well greased.

That said it works a treat and I would hate to try and rebuild a TR engine without a stand - they are just too heavy.

Rgds Ian

Heavy aint the half of it.

Today I (along with my son and the seller) moved two TR4A engines 50 yards down a muddy back alley and into a tail lift transit.

To make life easier we got the engines onto a trolley and using 2 off 4' x 2' x 1/2" ply we run the engines down the alley on the ply - moving the rear to the front and on and on.....

This was unbelievably back breaking for all three of us.

Roger

i have a tr6 engine on one at the moment , try to useas big a bolts as possible . oh ! and you cant leave the fly wheel on.

gary

Edited by bograt

I use a spare engine backplate. See pic.

Strain taken by all the normal bolts, though of course the front of the engine is unsupported.

Any bend that develops in the plate doesn't matter - I'll use it for nothing else, and I've painted it red to remind me!

A detail that may not apply to TR4 engines - I've enlarged the centre hole to give access to the rear crank oil seal housing, that would inaccessible with the normal plate in place.

JOhn