DR2 wiper motor identification?

Can anyone please help with the identification of the DR2 wiper motor? TuRK (TS 30411) has fitted (I think from new), what I believe to be a DR2 single speed wiper motor - the self park mechanism housing is different to those shown as a DR2 in Bill Piggott's books (example below) which has a flat surface and external wiring as fitted to the TR4.

The Moss catalogue show TuRK’s to be a DR2 and the one in Bill's book as a DR3A - which is correct, as I'm trying to refurbish mine and if all else fails get the right one on exchange?

PS - what size spanner fits the three nuts that hold the thing on?

231899899a16a234c58476734e65cf1566f8c1f331680e3d14b569e58b086d6c5c0dd690.jpg

44552838702875749da0cbe32c15b64e4612f4c229f336d05bf2c3dfdb84facb0ec76246.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

That's a Lucas DR2. Look at the gearbox cover , upon which the model number a date of manufacture should be stamped. For example, in the photo below, 359 indicated the 3rd week of 1959. This one from a BMC car I believe.

Sidescreen TR's had motors painted either wrinkle black or grey hammerite.

lucas-wiper-motor-dr2_crop.jpg

Edited by angelfj

That's interesting then Frank, as the cover plate on mine reads ‘DR2 458’ and a spare I've had a few years for scavenging parts (thanks to Paul Hodgkinson - UVC 166) reads ‘DR2 258’ - both are the same type, and both don't work........:rolleyes:

According to the Moss catalogue, the type in your photo is a DR3A, and the one I have is shown as the DR2 :unsure:

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

The wiper motor that you have fitted looks like a very early DR2 type.

What are the actual part numbers stamped on the flat top plate - these will fully identify the unit and Lucas very helpfully marked all items with the week number and year it was produced.

I have a few Lucas equipment catalogues, 1955, 1959 and 1961, thus and can look up the various part numbers.

Regards, Richard

Andrew, The wiper motor that you have fitted looks like a very early DR2 type. What are the actual part numbers stamped on the flat top plate - these will fully identify the unit and Lucas very helpfully marked all items with the week number and year it was produced. I have a few Lucas equipment catalogues, 1955, 1959 and 1961, thus and can look up the various part numbers. Regards, Richard

Richard,

The numbers are 75296D DR2 458 V167 and the spare one is 75212D DR2 258 A208.

David,

Thanks, Ken Cox refurbished my Regulator and Dynamo - they are an excellent outfit!

Cheers

Andrew

Richard,

The numbers are 75296D DR2 458 V167 and the spare one is 75212D DR2 258 A208.

David,

Thanks, Ken Cox refurbished my Regulator and Dynamo - they are an excellent outfit!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

In the 1959 Lucas catalogue it states the motor fitted should be 75296B and the photo of it shows the same flat sided switch cover which means that the wipers do not self park.

Thus yours having a date stamp of 1958, it would appear to be the original part.

To obtain the correct sweep of the blades on the screen, the gear inside that top cover should be stamped 130 degrees.

I cannot find a match for the other unit, the closest is 75213 which was fitted to Morris Minors and A-H Sprites.

Regards, Richard

Richard,

That's very useful info and going by the date stamp on Frank’s photo it seems that Lucas changed the top cover design (at least) either late 58 or early 59. Interesting about the non-parking function on the early DR2, as it was connecting up the light green live feed that buggered the motor - so I'll sort out the problem and just park the wipers with the on/off switch through the green/black, as it was connected before - that's the trouble with a new loom, you feel compelled to connect all the wires to something!......... :rolleyes:

Viv,

Thanks for the spanner size (picked a few up tonight from Baldrick) - Linda rolled over earlier and sends her love! ;)

Don,

Thanks for the photo, it seems I wasn't going mad. :wacko:

TuRK was born on 25th April 58 which ties in nicely with the date on the wiper motor; the 25th April is also my wedding anniversary, but in 1981! :unsure:

Thanks all

Andrew

Just to confuse things TS27538 has wiper 75296B 258 and does not have the raised cover as found on Don's and Andrew's cars. It would be interesting to know whether Don's motor self parks.

My Lucas/Standard-Triumph catalogue from 1960 says the TR wiper motor should be 75371A/B and 75296B as found on mine should be from a Vanguard or Ensign. Perhaps the factory had a large bin of wiper motors and the fitters just took the first one they came to!!

Mike