Regulator Mounting

Have started putting things back on my restored bodyshell,unfortunatly I did not dismantle it myself but bought an abandoned project. Can any one tell me how the regulator is attached,I can identify the two holes one above the other in my case but they are about 1/2 inch diameter,do some sort of inserts go in here?. If so can you point me towards them in the Moss catalogue please. I can see that if nuts bolts and washers were used it would be awkward to remove the regulator once the dashboard etc is in place. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Norman,

I think you'll find that the regulator is affixed by nothing more exotic than

a couple of screws into spire nuts - that's how I remember it, anyway !

Cheers,

Alec

Large head, slightly rounded and slotted.

AlanR

That's no way to talk about 'Mr P' Alan.......... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

I didn't get the description fully correct - see Stuart's post.

I should have said :

Large slotted pan head, slightly rounded.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi Norman,

The fixing concept for the voltage regulator and starter solenoid was for one man assembly.

A factory hand could push the spire nut into the bulkhead from the engine bay, then screw the component into place without needing someone standing on their head inside the car to hold a spanner on a nut.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Norman,

The fixing concept for the voltage regulator and starter solenoid was for one man assembly.

A factory hand could push the spire nut into the bulkhead from the engine bay, then screw the component into place without needing someone standing on their head inside the car to hold a spanner on a nut.

Regards,

Viv.

Viv: You never cease to amaze me. When you explain something it always sounds like you had actually been there!!! Don't have a TARDIS, do you?

Frank

Have started putting things back on my restored bodyshell,unfortunatly I did not dismantle it myself but bought an abandoned project. Can any one tell me how the regulator is attached,I can identify the two holes one above the other in my case but they are about 1/2 inch diameter,do some sort of inserts go in here?. If so can you point me towards them in the Moss catalogue please. I can see that if nuts bolts and washers were used it would be awkward to remove the regulator once the dashboard etc is in place. Thanks in anticipation.

Norman: if you really want the details, here you go. I must admit , it has been some time since I reviewed these details, and I thought that the screws were "round head", but this reference clearly indicates, "mushroom head".

Good luck!

control_box_parts_list.jpg

screwdetail-1.jpg

screw.jpg

fixnut.jpg

Edited by angelfj

Thanks Frank.

Some people are brilliant brain surgeons......others are inspired by spire nuts. rolleyes.gif

Tragic isn't it !.

Actually, if you know of someone willing to part with a good used Tardis, I'm in the market. unsure.gif

Nothing at all on ebay. wink.gif

Sure would help with the current rather complicated rebuild.

Hope the Grey Lady is progressing well, and happy New Year.

Viv.

Angelfj Great help that picture of "Simmonds nut" have found 4 in a box of rusty bits that came with the car the other 2 must be for the solenoid. Thanks again progress is being made!