I have now sorted out the best plugs to use (thanks to everyones help)and as my distributor cap which is the cheap top entry type looks very worn, I have bought an original Lucas side entry type and want some advice as to suppliers of HT lead (red would be nice) and I notice the NGK/champion type plug caps can be straight - 90deg -or 60deg what does anyone recommend

Thanks Lee

Black copper leads (still available!) last for ever and are not subject to sudden failure.

Straight connectors should avoid arcing to fuel and heater pipes.

Ian Cornish

Could I recommend that after you have it all set up you check each lead for continuity with your multimeter.

I was rather stunned when I found a couple of my leads, including the the one to the centre of the cap weren't conducting at all.

I had to get a new cap and at least one new lead.

Just means you can't put all the pretty new components together and assume all is well.

Yep solid copper, never had one fail yet and you can make them up to suit the exact length required (Not like some so called ready made sets that arent even close ;) )

Stuart

I seem to recall that solid copper is said to fritz some electronic ignition systems unsure.gif or have I misremembered ?

Ivor

I have always used copper leads, and 4VC has been running with Newtronic (Piranha) electronis ignition and Sports coil for over 16 years with no ignition problems other than failure of two of the Lucas repro rotor arms. Now, I have Distributor Doctor's rotor arm installed, so should never have to worry about that happening again.

Pray, what is a radio - is it the same as a wireless? If so, what is it doing in a TR?

Ian Cornish

I used to use copper leads years ago in the Mini, I found them a bit primitive what with the little pointy screws and difficult to waterproof effectively. But a heck of a sight better than the hateful carbon efforts. However I do think, as with most other things, technology moves on and the better-quality purpose-made stuff available nowadays takes some beating on performance.

My TR4 came with Magnecor competition leads and they work just fine. Had a bit of a shock when I checked the price in the Revington catalogue though! They have to use the later top-mount dissy cap.

Can't comment on the Marconi set situation as there's no room for one in WKE's dash and I probably couldn't hear it anyway......

Nigel

Edited by Nigel 628