For my restoration I've decided to add the optional "occasional seat". I obtained the correct one for my 1959 TR3A from an ebay auction. I have not been able to find pictures of the correct installation however. Don't understands what happens to the old seat back? Is it replaced by a closing plate or does the occasional seat back install in front of it? How are the brackets secured? If someone has any pictures it would be very helpful. Thanks

Will try to add picture of the brackets. Are these for a TR3? Unable to upload pictures.

Edited by tr3aproj

Not sure which body shell you have, but here are some photos of a rear seat back (from a 1960 post-TS60000 TR3A) and of some brackets and seat squab from a 1938 1958 pre-TS60000 TR3A).

TR2-3AOccasionalSeatandPetrolTan-1.jpg

TR2-3AOccasionalSeatandPetrolTankSq.jpg

TR3ARearSeatCushion1-ext.jpg

TR3ARearSeatCushion2-int.jpg

[All currently for sale if anyone needs them!]

Edited by BrianC

For my restoration I've decided to add the optional "occasional seat". I obtained the correct one for my 1959 TR3A from an ebay auction. I have not been able to find pictures of the correct installation however. Don't understands what happens to the old seat back? Is it replaced by a closing plate or does the occasional seat back install in front of it? How are the brackets secured? If someone has any pictures it would be very helpful. Thanks

Hi Anonymous!

I fitted such a seat to my 1958 TR3A recently and I sent an artricle to TRaction about how I did it WITHOUT having to drill any new holes through the floor panels.

If you are interested send me a pm with your e mail address and I will see if I still have the photos during the fitting, but I'm not sure if I kept them or wiped them out.

Dave

I've had several emails about the brackets and seat squab in my earlier post and will respond individually later. Meanwhile, just for general clarification:

The brackets and curved-front squab shown are for a pre-TS60000 car with the sloping rear floor (over the rear axle), shaped like the piece of carpet included in the photo. These brackets are necessary to support the seat.

The squab for a post-TS60000 car has a straight front and although I've never seen the brackets, I suspect these are simple L-shaped angle brackets, as the rear floor should act as the support. I guess most people would make these up and fit strengthening plates and captive nut similar to those used for seat-belt mountings.

I'm sure someone with first-hand knowledge will be able to clarify whether or not this is the case, or whether there are defined mounting points which can/should be used.

The squab for a post-TS60000 car has a straight front and although I've never seen the brackets,

I suspect these are simple L-shaped angle brackets, as the rear floor should act as the support.

Excellent photos, Brian.

I'm not aware of ANY brackets for the occasional rear seat on

later (square floor) 3As.

I thought you just plonked them in place, though maybe they had

a couple of locating pins, a la TR4.

AlanR

Excellent photos, Brian.

I'm not aware of ANY brackets for the occasional rear seat on

later (square floor) 3As.

I thought you just plonked them in place, though maybe they had

a couple of locating pins, a la TR4.

AlanR

I think your right Alan they have locating pins as per early TR4.

Stuart.

Will try to add picture of the brackets. Are these for a TR3? Unable to upload pictures.

Perhaps these pics will help. From my 3A, TS58476 LO

MVC-655S.jpg

MVC-657S.jpg

MVC-678S.jpg

PictureFromNikon995060.jpg

Perhaps these pics will help. From my 3A, TS58476 LO

MVC-655S.jpg

MVC-657S.jpg

MVC-678S.jpg

PictureFromNikon995060.jpg

Very helpful. Confirms that Brian's brackets are correct and mine are?. Would it be possible to have a picture of the brackets standing directly over so I have an idea of the angles.

Thanks,

Robert

Edited by tr3aproj

Very helpful. Confirms that Brian's brackets are correct and mine are?. Would it be possible to have a picture of the brackets standing directly over so I have an idea of the angles.

Thanks,

Robert

Show us yours!!

Could you also confirm whether your car is pre- or post-TS60000? (sloping or square rear floor).

The commission number is important as, according to the Spares Catalogue, the brackets changed at TS22014 from 702091 to 703135. Those in my photo are from TS29xxx.

Bill Piggott's 'Original TR2/3/3A' refers to the post-TS60000 rear seat having clips to prevent it sliding forward.

These are listed in the Spares Catalogue as:

609236 Bracket, seat base retaining

562604 Latch, spring, seat base

Hi Jesus,

Brian will be referring to the original factory parts book - an invaluable aid to any restorer ! They were subsequently reprinted by Brooklands Books - currently shown 'out of stock' at the TR Register online book shop - http://www.tr-register.co.uk/acatalog/Brooklands_Parts_Catalogues.html .

They turn up on ebay fairly regularly, well worth having . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Jesus,

Brian will be referring to the original factory parts book - an invaluable aid to any restorer ! They were subsequently reprinted by Brooklands Books - currently shown 'out of stock' at the TR Register online book shop - http://www.tr-register.co.uk/acatalog/Brooklands_Parts_Catalogues.html .

They turn up on ebay fairly regularly, well worth having . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Also available on Heritage CDROM available from many sources including Moss:

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=3934&SortOrder=24

This is the cheapest way to acquire a full set of manual, parts catalogue and owners handbook. Also very useful for quick searches.

Alec,

Yes, I understand now. In fact I have such a Parts Catalogue. I only believed that it did not contain the modifications introduced in the latest cars, as is the case in the Workshop Manual.

However, I do not find an illustration for those bracket and latches. If somebody could contribute with a photo, it would be highly appreciated.

Jesús

bracket

Show us yours!! Could you also confirm whether your car is pre- or post-TS60000? (sloping or square rear floor). The commission number is important as, according to the Spares Catalogue, the brackets changed at TS22014 from 702091 to 703135. Those in my photo are from TS29xxx. Bill Piggott's 'Original TR2/3/3A' refers to the post-TS60000 rear seat having clips to prevent it sliding forward. These are listed in the Spares Catalogue as: 609236 Bracket, seat base retaining 562604 Latch, spring, seat base
My car is a pre TS60000 with the sloping floors. I have tried several times to post the picture but for some reason it will not let me and I do have the space available. Edited by tr3aproj

bracket

They look like fuel tank straps, although it's hard to see whether for TR2 or TR3/3A.

On second thoughts, unless they have been bent in an attempt to fit them, then perhaps they really are meant to be seat brackets, but not of a pattern I've seen! How thick is the metal?

Edited by BrianC

They look like fuel tank straps, although it's hard to see whether for TR2 or TR3/3A.

On second thoughts, unless they have been bent in an attempt to fit them, then perhaps they really are meant to be seat brackets, but not of a pattern I've seen! How thick is the metal?

Seat brackets are 1/4" by 1" and perhaps they are for TR3 with separate back rest.bracket