Question for Webmaster

Hello Web Guy,

Is there any chance you could change this forum to the TR2/3/3A/3B Forum?

Just a thought... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks in advance.

Good point George. The magazine added recognition for the TR3B some time ago but the main Web site and the forum has yet to follow suit.

Stan

Here's a fine example, from our group, a 1962 TR3B

DSC_0039.jpg

But TR3B's or TR3A do not exist ! They all left the factory as TR3 ;) . ( Sit back watch for ruffeled feathers then run and hide) :lol::P:P

I'll get me coat

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog
But TR3B's or TR3A do not exist ! They all left the factory as TR3 ;) . ( Sit back watch for ruffeled feathers then run and hide) :lol::P:P

I'll get me coat

Alan

You are quite right Alan but the web site/forum has already started down that slippery slope with the TR3A. Main site says TR3A production ended in 1961 but here we are with a bunch of TR3's that were made in 1962, overlapping with the TR4... So the options are to hit the undo button and re-state the TR3 production through 62 or give the killer B's the recognition they deserve alongside the 3A.

Stan

I have to laugh at Alan's reponse. Only a TR4 owner would call a 1957 TR3, a 1959 TR3, a 1962 TSF-series, and a 1962 TCF-series car, the same car; irrespective of what Standard-Triumph called them!

Hindsight being a perfect science, the September 1957 TS22014 SHOULD HAVE BEEN designated the TR4, as it was clearly a bigger change than the TR2-TR3 change. Even after the start of the TR4 in August 1962, they could have continued to call the TSF series the TR3, as it had no change from the TS series. However, when the 2138 engine and synchromesh tranny were added, they HAD to make some distinction, which they did not.

Here is how I would have done it:

Actual Nomenclature.................................George Nomenclature

TR-2......................................................................TR-1

TR-3 thru TS22013..................................................TR-2

TR-3A thru TS82346................................................TR-3

TSF-series..............................................................TR-3, continuing from TS82347, ending at TS82876

TCF-series..............................................................TR-3A, continuing from TS82877

TR-4......................................................................TR-4, continuing from...

TR-4A....................................................................TR-4A, continuing from...

This would coincide the NUMBER changing when the BODY changed, while granting an alpha code designation to a major engineering change (synchromesh, IRS, fuel injection, et al). In this vein, there would have been no TR-250 designation: there would have been a TR-5 and a TR-5A. The commission numbers would have remained in sequence, so that TS500000 was the "half-millionth" Triumph Sports car. TS1 and TS60000 are cool; CT43211 doesn't tell me squat.

To quote Steve Martin, "But, N-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O."

Back in the USA, in September 57, a BIG distinction was made on the YEAR of your TR3, as the "A" designation had not been conceived yet, and many of us LOVED the wide-mouth (1958) front and HATED the narrow-mouth (1957). Personally, I liked the TR-2 front, but detested the grill put on the front of it on the first TR3. But, to each his own.

Most of the members in my local club are owners of multiple TRs, including Glorias, Roadsters, Triumph 10s, you-name-it. Unfortunately, on my civil servant pension, I will remain a single-car owner. However, if I won a lottery, I would probably try to find a TR-2. Then, and MGA, as IT was the car, owned by a friend, that introduced me to sports cars, in my senior year of high school.

Do many of you own multi cars? Tell me what you have!

Edited by TR3BGeorge
I have to laugh at Alan's reponse. Only a TR4 owner would call a 1957 TR3, a 1959 TR3, a 1962 TSF-series, and a 1962 TCF-series car, the same car; irrespective of what Standard-Triumph called them!

Hindsight being a perfect science, the September 1957 TS22014 SHOULD HAVE BEEN designated the TR4, as it was clearly a bigger change than the TR2-TR3 change. Even after the start of the TR4 in August 1962, they could have continued to call the TSF series the TR3, as it had no change from the TS series. However, when the 2138 engine and synchromesh tranny were added, they HAD to make some distinction, which they did not.

Here is how I would have done it:

Actual Nomenclature.................................George Nomenclature

TR-2......................................................................TR-1

TR-3 thru TS22013..................................................TR-2

TR-3A thru TS82346................................................TR-3

TSF-series..............................................................TR-3, continuing from TS82347, ending at TS82876

TCF-series..............................................................TR-3A, continuing from TS82877

TR-4......................................................................TR-4, continuing from...

TR-4A....................................................................TR-4A, continuing from...

This would coincide the NUMBER changing when the BODY changed, while granting an alpha code designation to a major engineering change (synchromesh, IRS, fuel injection, et al). In this vein, there would have been no TR-250 designation: there would have been a TR-5 and a TR-5A. The commission numbers would have remained in sequence, so that TS500000 was the "half-millionth" Triumph Sports car. TS1 and TS60000 are cool; CT43211 doesn't tell me squat.

To quote Steve Martin, "But, N-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O."

Back in the USA, in September 57, a BIG distinction was made on the YEAR of your TR3, as the "A" designation had not been conceived yet, and many of us LOVED the wide-mouth (1958) front and HATED the narrow-mouth (1957). Personally, I liked the TR-2 front, but detested the grill put on the front of it on the first TR3. But, to each his own.

Most of the members in my local club are owners of multiple TRs, including Glorias, Roadsters, Triumph 10s, you-name-it. Unfortunately, on my civil servant pension, I will remain a single-car owner. However, if I won a lottery, I would probably try to find a TR-2. Then, and MGA, as IT was the car, owned by a friend, that introduced me to sports cars, in my senior year of high school.

Do many of you own multi cars? Tell me what you have!

Hey what about us BETA owners then ?

Hi George

Actually I have to admit to owning a 1955 TR2 basket case and a 1962 TR3(A) TS series which is also waiting to be restored. As much as I love my TR4 I am contemplating selling it to get some money and space together to get he side-screens on the road, I am busily getting together parts for the 2 as that is my Favorite TR even though I would love a late TR7 or TR8. As for other cars I think the MGA is the nicest looking popular sports car of the 50's with reasonable steering thanks to the rack and opinion but seriously let down on the go department by the morris oxford 1500/1600 engine I would still love to own one if money was no object though

Cheers

Alan

Alan, actually, MGAs can be found at very reasonable prices! eBay always has 10 or 15 on at one time.

For all of you, here is a Triumph Auction Site that Don put me on to last year, along with it the corresponding MG Auction Site. You click on the model you want, down the left side, then click on Cars for Sale. You can find some neat stuff on the "spare parts for sale" and "books for sale" links also. Nothing profound here, the link is a direct link to eBay. The owner is a very nice guy, who only has eBay on his site, so far:

www.triumphauctionwatch.com

and

www.mgauctionwatch.com

When I have some time to kill, I love surfing thru these sites. I have a friend who just got a 53 MGTD, and an old girlfriend from high school who had [who MIGHT be looking for] an MGA.

Alan, we tend to forget: the MGA might seem anemic by today's standards, but, at the time, it was a QUANTUM LEAP from the MG-TF!!! Like I said in a post before, the TR-2 caused a PROFOUND change in British sportscar products! Here sits Cecil Kimber, with his TF, across the table from Sir John, with his TR-2...

Interesting footnote: Both Cecil and John knew what side their bread was buttered on....they BOTH married Hillman daughters. Dang, I should have married Natalie Wood when I had the chance.

Good heavens George, if Natalie Wood, why didn't you ?.

Of course that wasn't her real name......Natalie Wheelbarrow or something wasn't it ?

We've all wondered where the TR3A/3B non-factory model identification came from, and the most likely explanation is that it was started by the dealers. Having both small mouth and wide mouth cars known only as TR3's would have been confusing for parts identification, and with servicing and repairs. For instance if you ordered disc brake pads for a 3B, you needed to quote which series to determine if your car needed TR3A (TSF series) or TR4 (TCF series) pads.

A similar thing happened with non factory naming of one of the front engined Ferrari's, the 365GTB/4. Who'd have a clue which model that was if it hadn't become famously known as the Daytona. Dreadful truck of a thing to drive in town, awesome on the highway, but that's another story.

Now with all this MG stuff floating around, I'd better disinfect the PC at once, lest I catch something nasty. :P

Regards,

Viv.

Hi, George: it's time for me to get my anorak; here goes: Kimber was killed in a freak rail accident just North of King's Cross, in, I think, February 1945. So he didn't get to see the TD or the TF (which I believe may have been penned by a chap called Gerald Palmer).

Cecil's daughter Jean has been/was a good mascot for MG fans over the years. It was her or (more probably) her sister whom I met in London in the early 70s, the consequence of being at College with Cecils' grandson, Lindsay. Linds at that time was not a car-bore like me, unfortunately (he was v. much into being a budding glamrock star); but he was very proud of his grandfather (rightly so, in my view) - and was actually the spit of him (with the exception of Linds's shoulder length hair...).

I had a 1960 MGA coupe at the time and it was OK. However I had already been bitten by the TR bug, having bought and briefly run a TR2 (before it broke its crank, naturally - it was 1970), and it was only a matter of time before I returned to the fold (never left it since!).

Tim.

I want a MGA coupé*. Please stop talking about this car :( .

Chris.

*And a TVR 2500 M, a GT6, a Daimler Dart, an AC Ace (a replica with Triumph engine should do the job :rolleyes: ), a Lotus 11, ....... :P