How do you value a TR250

Any opinions on what a really good LHD TR250 is worth?, not concours but certainly one of the very best and origionally a "black Plate" californian car (ie when it was imported 20 years ago there were plenty of really good cars availible in california and this was one of them).

As well as being "splendid" I have also updated vital parts in that it has wilwood 4 pot calipers and vented discs with alloy finned drums, quick engine (much faster than a std TR5) and generally all the good bits one would expect after 20 years or so of ownership but this is not the time to go into the minutest detail.

In summary It looks the part and has all the right bits.

So with the market for our cars being somewhat resilliant to the general malaise elsewhere does anyone have any current market information from which to deduce a value?

No points will be awarded for the following or similar

1. Its worth whatever somebody is prepared to pay

2. I'll bid you £x cos i've got to offer a warenty

3. Anything else I have not thought of with the exception of a market value :rolleyes:

Any opinions on what a really good LHD TR250 is worth?, not concours but certainly one of the very best and origionally a "black Plate" californian car (ie when it was imported 20 years ago there were plenty of really good cars availible in california and this was one of them).

As well as being "splendid" I have also updated vital parts in that it has wilwood 4 pot calipers and vented discs with alloy finned drums, quick engine (much faster than a std TR5) and generally all the good bits one would expect after 20 years or so of ownership but this is not the time to go into the minutest detail.

In summary It looks the part and has all the right bits.

So with the market for our cars being somewhat resilliant to the general malaise elsewhere does anyone have any current market information from which to deduce a value?

No points will be awarded for the following or similar

1. Its worth whatever somebody is prepared to pay

2. I'll bid you £x cos i've got to offer a warenty

3. Anything else I have not thought of with the exception of a market value :rolleyes:

I for one do not need points thank you, are you seriously asking opinions on here as to it value? you need to provide pics etc and more information :o and are you selling or just testing the water?

I for one do not need points thank you, are you seriously asking opinions on here as to it value? you need to provide pics etc and more information :o and are you selling or just testing the water?

Your quite right about the pictures, I will try and post some but really this is a water testing testing post as I am a bit out of touch with current values.

Your quite right about the pictures, I will try and post some but really this is a water testing testing post as I am a bit out of touch with current values.

Hi Red, there was a very nice one advertised in one of the Classic mags earlierthis year @ around £20K. It wasn't in the next issue so I assume it sold. Also, things are not that bad. A good friend of mine lives close to a major TR supplier and was told by one of the partners that the supplier's major problem is finding cars to sell. He says good stuff flies out and price is not an issue but quality is.Hope this helps?

Good TR250's should fetch near as damn TR5 money, cos they are nearly a TR5, A California one without the crusty rusty bits between

every spot weld that all english TR5's have, must be worth a bit more.

A good Body is Vital to any car, and a rustfree one these days is very desirable to those who know.

Good TR250's should fetch near as damn TR5 money, cos they are nearly a TR5, A California one without the crusty rusty bits between

every spot weld that all english TR5's have, must be worth a bit more.

A good Body is Vital to any car, and a rustfree one these days is very desirable to those who know.

^^^^ for sure.

But, being LHD in the UK - will that have a negative effect on the price?

I can confirm there is a certain surrealism attached to having a 42 year old car with no crusty bits.

I did think about converting it to rhd, I assembled all the bits to do it but have always had a lefty in the garage, of course the real drawback is swmbo refused to drive it! so fewer beers on a hot daytrip to the seaside.

Having thought about it would not take long to convert to RHD and fit PI and then change the badge and bingo its a 5, mind you there are LHD 5's.....................no must desist no more spannering.

Californian black plate cars are always worth a premium to my mind. (Not usually 100% rust free as it does still rain in California, but with no road salt they certainly have a far better chance of being 100% better than UK cars despite the multitude of areas of unpainted metal on 250s/5s/6s due to the way the factory painted the shells fully built ;)) Even allowing for L/Hand drive the car is worth probably around 10%/15% less than an equivalent 5. (i.e. a £35k fully restored 5/ £29.75K to £32.5K for a fully restored 250) remember prices across the channel are far higher than here and its just as quick to come over from France to the south of England as it is for me to come up from Cornwall these days.(Especially summer time fighting your way though the traffic ;))

Stuart

Stuart you have made your first Mistake on the Forum

It never rains in California (was it southern, got me thinkin now) because the beach boys told me, and they live there I think.

I am living in hope that my 250 now on the sea is totally rust free, it better had be or I cant describe the thrashing it will get!

No cars are rusy in CA, no there not, tell me they cant be Oh Lordy..................................................................

Hi Peter,

California, it's green, they grow fruit for heaven's sake . . . . never read The Grapes of Wrath ?

It's not a desert or a dustbowl, or at least some of it isn't.

Not that I've ever been there, the tales from my rock'n'roll mates of years ago put me off, they couldn't get out fast enough . . . . if they were that keen on England, I couldn't see the point in going to California. My son was there earlier in the summer, it pissed down, and they have smog - just like we used to get in Manchester ! :P Hollywood he tells me is a dump, and the natives not much better. Arizona and Nevada rated higher in his estimation though.

If the 250 isn't up to scratch, we'll just have to take a trip over there and demonstrate the finer points of Mancunian clog dancing and knuckle butty munching ? ;)

Cheers,

Alec

Stuart you have made your first Mistake on the Forum

It never rains in California (was it southern, got me thinkin now) because the beach boys told me, and they live there I think.

I am living in hope that my 250 now on the sea is totally rust free, it better had be or I cant describe the thrashing it will get!

No cars are rusy in CA, no there not, tell me they cant be Oh Lordy..................................................................

Dont panic Peter! My last California black plate car was a 57 TR3 bought out of a scrap yard in San Diego for 250 dollars by the previous owner and apart from some perforations in the front of the footwells from some water laying there(Sidescreen cars do sit nose down when the springs get a bit tired) and a 50p size hole in the front end of one inner sill it was amazingly good in the shell and chassis. Even the wings would unbolt without any problem at all. Mind you the trim could only be described as "Crisp!"

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Well spotted, I have just phoned my cousin to go and have a look at it! Unfortunately he lives 600 miles away and has refused.

The current bid of $24k would make the car about £27k landed with duties paid (adding a bit on as bidding is yet to finish).

Peter I asked him about the rain in california and he confirms it was not raining.

Well I wouldn't get too excited.

The bonnet stripe isn't centered, and I'm told the overriders are the wrong way round, which makes me wonder what else is wrong.

For market value though, this is a fair representation - the price is what someone's willing to pay.

Me too.

Look at the photo of the rear showing the n/s reversing light - looks like body filler there to me. Rust in the boot seams... Not a resto, just a tarting up excercise to sell IMO.

I'm always suspicious when someone recently resores a car, then puts it up for sale!

Watch the paint bubble in a few months ;)

Adding on quite a bit at the current exchange rate - are shipping & taxes likely to equate to £12k?

You have to get it to the port in the first place dont forget which if its in Nebraska can be V expensive. John Sykes always used to reckon whatever you paid in dollars over there was about what it would cost in pounds by the time you got it home and that was a few years ago. Shipping costs have escalated by quite a lot over the last few years and the import duty and VAT payable has been hiked by this bunch of robbing ba****ds (sorry current government ;) )

Stuart.