Removing oil filter o ring

Hi, on my last oil change I couldn't get the o ring out (standard set up). Eventually I decided to leave it and thankfully it remained oil tight. This time I want to get it out, does anyone have any good tips?

andy

A needle

And Andy, another option is a meat skewer from the bottom drawer in the kitchen, or put a sharp point on a short length of suitable wire and a loop for a handle on the other end, and keep it in the "special tools" bin.

I've even heard of a pointy compass tip being used.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi, on my last oil change I couldn't get the o ring out (standard set up). Eventually I decided to leave it and thankfully it remained oil tight. This time I want to get it out, does anyone have any good tips?

andy

Two words: dental probe.

Chat with your dentist on the next visit. The tool he or she uses to poke all of the teeth that you said hurt is ideal for this job and they must discard old ones occasionally.

Stan

The alternative, if there has been little or no leakage from the joint, is to leave the old ring in there.

I ran my TR2 for 5 years and some 65,000 miles, with regular oil changes - and I never changed the sealing ring.

Ian Cornish

Ian's advice is good ... if its a quality O ring leave it in there as some of the replacement ones are made of very poor quality rubber.

If you need to take it out a needle scribe seems to be the tool for the job.

Regards

Tony

At a flea market (auto jumble) I bought a couple of dental picks for a dollar each. The one with the curved spiral pointy tip is the best.

The problem with leaving the old rubber seal there the next time you change the oil filter occurs when you try to put in a new seal with the old one still there. It'll leak. So between removing the old filter and replacing it, I trust that you are not yet suffering from "Alka-Seltzer" disease.

I can't explain why, but I find I am have forgotten the right name.

I trust that you are not yet suffering from "Alka-Seltzer" disease.

I can't explain why, but I find I am have forgotten the right name.

Don

I think you mean "JACOBS CREAM CRACKERS DISEASE" :lol::lol::lol:

Best wishes

Sue :rolleyes:

Thanks all, I used an awl in the end. Ever the Scotsman, my main concern was that I was about to fill it with expensive oil - Millers semi synthetic Classic Sport 20w50 - so didn't want to take the risk of a poor seal. I find after a long high speed run - Glasgow to Edinburgh at 3900 to occasional 5000 RPM in direct top, my oil pressure is 5 - 10 PSI higher at tickover with this oil.

Andy

Edited by 67_gt6