Any recommendations for restoration services as I want to restore my Long Door TR2 number TS 450. I have done some home work and got some very mixed information. It is moth eaten but not a basketcase by any means.

So far indications are

Lots of complete horror stories. Long period of work 6 -12 months like my project would be secondary and a budget of 30k needed. Some people are complete dreamers.

Criticism of some well known restorers

E.g poor fitting wings, narrowed scuttle so bad screen doesn't fit, complete shell as no useable parts deemed repairable. Old bits skipped before you get there.

Come guys good, honest, restorers needed, realistically priced.

Edited by Rodbr
Any recommendations for restoration services as I want to restore my Long Door TR2 number TS 450.

I have done some home work and got some very mixed information.

It is moth eaten but not a basketcase by any means.

So far indications are

Lots of complete horror stories. Long period of work 6 -12 months like my project would be secondary

and a budget of 30k needed. Some people are complete dreamers.

Criticism of some well known restorers

E.g poor fitting wings, narrowed scuttle so bad screen doesn't fit, complete shell as no useable parts

deemed repairable. Old bits skipped before you get there.

Come guys good, honest, restorers needed, realistically priced.

Congrats on acquiring such an early long door 2. A most worth

project.

Restoration - obvious, really, but the more you do yourself, the cheaper

it will be - by a long way. Professional restorers have to charge, what,

£40 per hour? plus VAT so if you go down that road totally, then £30,000

for sure.

I have my own opinions on some restorers where I have some experience,

but it's really not appropriate to post too much on the Forum.

I can say that TR Enterprises did a great job on my TR4, and also on TS2,

and I would certainly be happy to use them again, but that's no criticism of

anyone else.

If you did choose them, I reckon you would have to wait anything between

12 and 24 months before they could start, but that should be taken as an

indication of their work. Once started, your project would not be secondary.

Some garages can do restorations a bit cheaper if it's a fill-in job when they

are not busy with something else - but so often they prefer to do work that

will give a quicker return and your project then becomes secondary.

Fit of wings - you're in the hands of the quality of repro parts which can be

a problem and not just for wings.

AlanR

I endorse Alans comments.

If you want to choose someone and get a realistic estimate, I would first go to visit a shortlist of restorers and get some idea of the work they do, cpacity and any recommendations.

Proce will depend on the state of your project and how far you want to go..standard...improved etc etc.

Not sure where you are in the country, but if you can let us know, I'm sure you'll get other info as well.

If you come to Malvern, talk to the owners of cars which you admire for workmanship, fit of panels, finish etc (bearing in mind when the the job was completed - it could be a year or, as in my case, 16 years ago) and find out whether they used a service and, if so, who was the provider.

If you can't make it to Malvern, tackle the people in the local group.

A car which was re-built 10 or 15 years ago, get a decent amount of use (not just brought to Malvern once a year!) and still looks good today, says a great deal for the quality of the original work.

Ian Cornish

As has been said congratulations on owning such an early car. My long door TR2 is October 54, and had it set off on the production line a few days later than it did it would probably have been a short door car.

It's always trickey recommending someone for such a big job, as experiences of firms can differ between customers, as customers expectations are never the same. If you were drawing up a short list of people to approach, personally I would certainly include Manvers Triumph ( Clive Manvers) in Elmswell Suffolk, (you'll find their web site via Google) although your location will have a bearing, as I think it is important to keep dropping in to your restorer to check on progress and to dicuss any potential issues as they arise and hence agree on the way forward. In my personal experience Manvers have a goods customers service ethos and you certainly wouldn't be considered secondary. I think they restore more 4-6 cars than the earlier ones but that is possibly true of others also.

I think l you need to visit anyone on your shortlist and have a good talk with them and view the facilities, as I think it helps if you have a rapport with your chosen provider.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how you get on.

I would go along with kiwifrog, give Stuart a call - you will not regret it, unbiased and genuine advice.

Nigel (with TS952)

Great to have another early 2 on the road sometime in the future.

Edited by Nigel Lay

I have owned the car for years but never had the time to get it out of storage. Discovered recently that it needs a complete rebuild. It does have some unusual features.

3 branch manifold, triple wipers and washers, manual throttle, along with original fitting wires, heater and overdrive and steel hard top. The engine has twin thermostat housings and Stuart thinks it may be the original. It certainly was much quicker than my Tr 4's at the time. It may have been breathed on at some time but time will tell.

I have spoken to Stuart and benefitted from his advice and enthusiasm, he knows the cars and in principle I would probably send it to him but visitation rights might be difficult, wrong end of the country as I am in the West of Scotland.

I also have a "Barn find" new chassis that has never been used so it will be the first job to be done. Looks like a careful strip down is the next on the agenda back to a bare shell so we can see what really needs to be done.

In the meantime any suggestions what to put in the bores as the engine turns but has not run in 25 years just want to keep it lubricated till I strip it down.

During my discussions with Stuart I mentioned I had found some Armstrong "Adjustaride" shock absorbers. Just got them out and they are still in the original Gold paint. Don't think they have ever been fitted. Both work perfectly when in the vice and nurled knobs turn easily. I understand these are rarer than hen's teeth.

Advice is not to be too hasty with the full dismantling of the car.

Off to start some photographic history.

You are a bit short of options up here I am afraid . Where in the west are you? I am about 30 mile from Glasgow , If you are not too far I am more than happy to pop over and see you .

The options which come to mind up this way are the car restoration garage in Alyth ( nr Couper Angus) They have an excellent reputation and display thier work at both Glamis & NEC . I looked at the SS Jag they had down at the clasic car show at the NEC in Oct . The work appeared superb . There is also Dave Barnett in Inverkielor ( Nr Arbroath) who is an expert on TRs although most of his work is D & E Type Jags . The only other I can think of is Richard Larter the Scottish group co-ordinator who is based in Balfron nr Glasgow . I dont know what each charges as I do all my own work but if you can afford a pro to do the work thats 3 options , I am sure there are more up here .