windscreen centre bracket

Does anyone have any close up photos they can post of the centre windscreen bracket that bolts to the scuttle at the base of the screen. I want to fabricate one and am interested in seeing its relative size and shape. along with how the buffer attaches i assume that it touches the windscreen and provides the resistance to the wind pressure on the screen. Cheers

Does anyone have any close up photos they can post of the centre windscreen bracket that bolts to the scuttle at the base of the screen. I want to fabricate one and am interested in seeing its relative size and shape. along with how the buffer attaches i assume that it touches the windscreen and provides the resistance to the wind pressure on the screen. Cheers

I know it was a couple of years ago now but I don't recall having a centre bracket when I dismantled my car. Do all TR3As have them?

Rgds Ian

I know it was a couple of years ago now but I don't recall having a centre bracket when I dismantled my car. Do all TR3As have them?

Rgds Ian

Yes they should be fitted to all cars although with any distortion of the bulkhead(and I have seen a lot :blink:) they can be a pain to fit with the screen on. I have a specially made up screwdriver to fit them with.

Stuart.

I know it was a couple of years ago now but I don't recall having a

centre bracket when I dismantled my car. Do all TR3As have them?

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

The answer to your question is No, but they all should have!

AlanR

Okay, I'm puzzled here! I understood that you were looking for the hook-shaped bracket behind the mirror. Now it appears that you mean something elso. I really don't know what part you mean and I can understand that I'm very interested to see what you mean! (I'm learning every day!)

Menno

Okay, I'm puzzled here! I understood that you were looking for the hook-shaped bracket behind the mirror. Now it appears that you mean something elso. I really don't know what part you mean and I can understand that I'm very interested to see what you mean! (I'm learning every day!)

Menno

Dont panic Menno you were correct in your first assumption about the centre bracket that fits behind the mirror.

Stuart

Hello Jim,

As you requested hereby some pics of my centre bracket.

There's maybe a little confusion in the first picture, nothing wrong with the bracket it is only the bracket reflection into the chromed surface of the windscreen frame.

Hope this will help you to continue !

Regards,

Yes they should be fitted to all cars although with any distortion of the bulkhead(and I have seen a lot :blink:) they can be a pain to fit with the screen on. I have a specially made up screwdriver to fit them with.

Stuart.

I would love to see this special screwdriver!!! :D

Phew! I'm on track again!

When I bought the car, there was no bracket behind the mirror. And it's such a tiny detail, that I didn't notice that it wasn't in place. Back then, I took the car out for only one drive (to get a licence plate at what's called the RDW in Holland). I noticed that the windscreen moved backwards when I drove the car hard... Later, I found out that there's that item that Raymond showed us. I got one from the Dutch Moss branch and I took the w/screen off to install the item. I agree with Stuart that you really need a one off screw driver to get this item installed.

Menno

I would love to see this special screwdriver!!! :D

I will try and post a picture of what I use tomorrow.

Stuart.

...they can be a pain to fit with the screen on. I have a specially made up screwdriver to fit them with.

Too right Stuart :( - that's why mine never got fitted. I'm waiting until I replace the current screen assembly with a rechromed frame and new glass (that will probably be another major hassle - do they fit?).

In the meantime, perhaps details or photo of the special screwdriver might encourage me to have another go.

Edited by BrianC

THe screwdriver sounds like the easy option, ......thanks for the photos Raymond next question It looks in the photos as though your bracket is secured/held by the screws holding the mirror, Is the bracket also sequred by two additional screws. I have 4 screw holes with captured nuts attached on the scuttle. Two that match up to the mirror fixing points and two more between these holes and where the bottom of the screen is. althought they are slightly wider apart. I assumed two held the mirror and the other two held this screen bracket, but your photo s look to me as though the braket is held/partially held by the rear view mirror screws.

Can you elaborate????

Hi Jim,

Just checked this in Bill Piggott's book The Original TR2,3,3A, I'm shure you will have this book as well ! It's there on page 46 & 47 and very clear to see that the bracket use to be placed between the scuttle and the mirror.

In your case, the two extra holes are maybe "done" for unknown purposes by one of the previous owner(s) ?

Regards,

...the two extra holes are maybe "done" for unknown purposes by one of the previous owner(s) ?

Some of the competition cars I saw in the '70s had the standard mirror replaced by an aerodynamic racing mirror which presumably required fixing points further forward, so perhaps Jim's car has some track history.

Thanks guys, I wish I had a copy of Bills book/s I intend to get one of his recently released books probably from the states via amazon or ebay. I havn't seen any for sale in New Zealand. At least now we have part of the answer, just not sure what the extra holes where used for. can't imagine the car had any track hisory but who knows. Thanks everyone

Too right Stuart :( - that's why mine never got fitted. I'm waiting until I replace the current screen assembly with a rechromed frame and new glass (that will probably be another major hassle - do they fit?).

In the meantime, perhaps details or photo of the special screwdriver might encourage me to have another go.

New screens are slightly better than they were (at least they have more of a point in the bottom corners now :blink: than they used to) Check also the bottom edge as I have had one with a ripple in it! But be aware that some of the seals are too thick (1.5mm instead of the original 0.8mm) 1mm is just acceptable. If not you will seriously struggle (Ask Baldrick how long it took me to fit TRKs new rubber :blink: ).

Looking for my special tool now and will picture it later.

Stuart.

Picture of special tools to fit mirror heads. Tape is used to stop damage to mirror head at the final tightening stage. Phillips headed screws are easier to fit ;) although not original.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart - looks a step up from my attempt with a standard (Halfords) double-ended bent screwdriver. I gave up as it looked in danger of chewing up the original-type screws. Never thought of making up my own though, especially with socket bits, so may well try this approach.

Special tools.....now you're talking secret men's business Stuart. :rolleyes:

Reckon I've got half a drawer of them, but haven't a clue what the heck some of them were made for. One or two might have been to do a break and enter on various beer cans and stubbie caps over the years !!.

Suppose you've got one for the large brass nut on the overdrive !. And a slightly different version if you've rebuilt Jags. There's ground down sockets and allen keys, and weird shaped spanners for triple compound corners. The 1/4" drive socket solution for TR rear shock mounts !.

Then there's the restorer's trick handshake.......grease my palm. :P

Regards,

Viv

Special tools.....now you're talking secret men's business Stuart. :rolleyes:

Reckon I've got half a drawer of them, but haven't a clue what the heck some of them were made for. One or two might have been to do a break and enter on various beer cans and stubbie caps over the years !!.

Suppose you've got one for the large brass nut on the overdrive !. And a slightly different version if you've rebuilt Jags. There's ground down sockets and allen keys, and weird shaped spanners for triple compound corners. The 1/4" drive socket solution for TR rear shock mounts !.

Then there's the restorer's trick handshake.......grease my palm. :P

Regards,

Viv

Oh yes Viv I have a fair collection including one spanner bent into a "Z" with the ears ground down :blink: to remove the caliper bolts on IRS "S" Type Jags and a ring spanner with a small slot cut into it to remove temperature sender bulbs ;)

Stuart.