Modern space saver-spare tyre?

Hi

I want to utilise the boot space as much as possible-I have 5 Minilites one of which is housed in the boot spare wheel well.

The spare wheel cover has been modified (lifted to accommodate the deeper wheel) so that the wide alloy fits-this does however make the load space uneven.

I am therefore after a modern wheel/trye combo that will neatly. Therefore what modern vehicle has the same PCD as a 4A?

I know I could use a 4A steel wheel-however I cannot get hold of one? :blink:

How much would you actually gain????

I have some bags that fit very well and then have utilised the space in the minilte as well - Total result is probably not much difference all in all.

...but I have become the Zen master of packing a TR now and it's always easier on the way out than on the way back!!

Good luck Glasshopper

How much would you actually gain????

Not a lot, I would think.

Why not mount a lockable spare wheel carrier on the bootlid for transporting the spare with a bootful of holiday/camping luggage and then transfer it to its normal location on arrival at your destination? Personally, I prefer the Bootbag solution, or even a boot-rack for heavier or bulky items.

Hi

I want to utilise the boot space as much as possible-I have 5 Minilites one of which is housed in the boot spare wheel well.

The spare wheel cover has been modified (lifted to accommodate the deeper wheel) so that the wide alloy fits-this does however make the load space uneven.

I am therefore after a modern wheel/trye combo that will neatly. Therefore what modern vehicle has the same PCD as a 4A?

Hi Shezbo

I have both options and there is a lot of space to be gained http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....75&hl=space

Regards

Neil

Edited by ntc

Shezbo,

Have a look at Saab 900 wheels as I believe they have the same pcd as TRs.

I am not too sure of which vintage but would think that something like this may do the trick.

In fact I just looked on ebay and there are also space saver wheels for Saab 9000 which are apparently the same as for an early Saab 900.

Don't forget that you will need sufficient space in the boot to stash the removed wheel and damaged tyre in there, or be able to stash it somewhere else, and also that your maximum speed will be limited until you replace the correct wheel and tyre.

The final point would be that it will be necessary to disclose this to your insurers should you have an 'incident' whilst the space saver is fitted. They may try to wriggle out of paying out on any claim if you don't declare this.

David

Edited by david ferry

Hi David

That is what I have done re insurance,well pointed out I use the space saver on long away trips and get the damaged one repaired. Normal use I keep the minilite as the spare

Regards

Neil

Not a lot, I would think.

Why not mount a lockable spare wheel carrier on the bootlid for transporting the spare with a bootful of holiday/camping luggage and then transfer it to its normal location on arrival at your destination? Personally, I prefer the Bootbag solution, or even a boot-rack for heavier or bulky items.

Hi Brian

It is the total look of "tidiness" I am after-the extra depth of the Minilite raises the board making the levels in the boot uneven. A space saver would mean I could actually "pack" items in with the space saver as there would be more room. I like the idea of the boot bag-I do have a boot rack fitted and may combine the two??

Thanks

Hi Shezbo

I have both options and there is a lot of space to be gained http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....75&hl=space

Regards

Neil

Spot on Neil-just to confirm did you get the steel wheel sorted-if so what spec and what spec of tyre (the thread got quite in depth...for me!) :P

Some 1990s Rover Vitesse had a silly little spacesaver spare that might fit a TR . . . . 15" rim and skinny, 4.5"pcd, but the centre hole is only 2.5" diameter. Tyre fitment is 115/70 Michelin Tex, 50mph rating. No I haven't tried it, and I haven't a TR hub conveniently to hand . . . .

But if anyone wishes to try their luck, I do have a new unused wheel and tyre in the garage ! Yours for the carriage and a pint !!

This topic was discussed at length last year, as Neil points out. Since then I've had some thoughts from a local traffic bobby. His understanding was that spacesavers are a different construction and compound from the average tyre, and have a much longer potential service life when stored in the boot. Not a suggestion I've researched or seen elsewhere, but someone might know the proper answer here ?

Said bobby also had some thoughts on spacesaver fitment. He didn't seem to have a problem with a pukka spacesaver wheel/tyre, even on older cars, providing the vehicle was being driven gently and under the speed marked on the tyre. However, a conventional wheel/tyre of smaller dimension than the remainder might well be more of a problem, at least from a legal viewpoint. Especially in an accident/insurance situation . . . . But that's guesswork !

Cheers,

Alec

Re Alecs last post - my Fiesta with 15" rims as standard has a 14" spare with a normal 175/70 tyre fitted to it. This is as supplied by Ford. They have stuck the 50 mph sticker on it, but the tyre is a standard road tyre. From that I would deduce that they are legal. Having said that the overall diameter of a 195/50 x 15 may well be the same diameter as a 175/70 x 14 ?

Rod

Hi Shezbo,

My Maserati 3200GT came without a spare wheel or tyre, though it does have a space for one (optional extra). Instead it is equipped with an aerosol sealant that is used to re-inflate and repair a tyre. It is a relatively small item and although I have never needed to use it, I am assured that it is perfectly adequate and legal. I figure if I can use it on something that delivers 370 BHP then it should be fine for a TR. My maserati is with a dealer with the intention that he should sell it, otherwise I would have given you details about the aerosol manufacturer.

TT

Hi

I think the aerosol sealer will probably mend punctures, but will it mend a 2" gash? The early aerosols used to ruin the tyre inside apparently, making a "proper" repair almost impossible. We used the stuff on our trials bikes in the 70s.

Rod

The use of the aerosol sealer is a great way to p*** tyre fitters off and will totally ruin an otherwise repairable tyre. It makes a hell of a mess and even more so on a wire rim.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, Rod,

I never had cause to use it so I wasn't aware of the problems associated. Thanks for the forewarning.

TT

The use of the aerosol sealer is a great way to p*** tyre fitters off and will totally ruin an otherwise repairable tyre. It makes a hell of a mess and even more so on a wire rim.

Stuart.

Take it from someone who has spent over 30 years working for Fords and then Fiat before retirement 3 years ago, there was only one reason for the space saver tyre and later the can of "Goo" and that was to save money and maximize the profits for the company.

Many cars, Mazda RX8 for example supply no spare tyre, but surprise surprise, you can buy one from them as an extra for a not unsubstancial sum.

Previous comments regarding problems with the "Goo" are valid -avoid at all costs.

The best solution is to use a boot rack or carry less baggage and use the laundry service available in most good Hotels.

However if most cars were fitted with tyres similar to the original size then space may not be at a premium.

Having used tyres from 185 down to my current 165 profile I question the advantage especially on cars used for long distance touring.

Best Regards Chris