I am looking at a Brian James clubman flat bed trailer, seen a couple on Ebay but noticed the prices from the manufacturers seems to be cheaper, can anyone recommend the clubman ?

I have not towed a car trailer for 25 years, what do you tow with ? should I go van or range rover, the latter seem to be ten a penny at the moment.

And BTW in the market for both so if you need to sell let me know.

Chris

I am looking at a Brian James clubman flat bed trailer, seen a couple on Ebay but noticed the prices from the manufacturers seems to be cheaper, can anyone recommend the clubman ?

I have not towed a car trailer for 25 years, what do you tow with ? should I go van or range rover, the latter seem to be ten a penny at the moment.

And BTW in the market for both so if you need to sell let me know.

Chris

Hi Chris

The clubman trailer is a cracker tows superb I would not buy second hand they are not expensive new,and the tow car depends on the spares required a good old transit van is well up to the job and cheap as chips better fuel use

Regards

Neil

If you can find one, I'd recommend the Minno Sport from BJT.

10" wheels and two axles; it takes my Vitesse with ease, and stores almost as easily.

Before you scoff, a Vitesse has a longer wheelbase than a TR6, has a track less than an inch narrower and weighs more in original trim - mine is 860kg.

After several trailers and a homemade one, all of which snaked like the Devil unless I used an antiSnake device, this tows steady as a rock up to 70mph.

Trouble is, the Minno Sport seems to have been almost a prototype that BJT made few of and never marketed to any extent. It's no longer on their product list, so you may have to hope for a 2nd hand one off ebay.

Either way, BJT are a good firm. EG; I have just asked for and received, FoC, full printed details on trailer maintenance as I bought mine 2nd hand with no instructions.

Good luck!

John

Hi Chris,

Brian James trailers are good, well made and do the job nicely.

Bear in mind that a rallying TR7 is no lightweight - at least Bert's ex-works cars aren't ! You're looking at around 1200kgs.

The weight is also fairly well forward, so you need a trailer of reasonable length to sit the car back a little - otherwise you'll suffer hugely excessive nose weight.

Range Rovers eat fuel like there's no tomorrow, whatever engine they have. Transits aren't so bad, but I find that a lwb Trannie tows much better than the swb version. We used to tow behind a 820 Vitesse, but the rear suspension wasn't really up to it - hence replaced by the 530d Touring 'Panzer Lorry'.

Make sure that the tow vehicle is adequately rated to haul the total weight (trailer+TR), and for that matter that the trailer is adequately rated for the TR - otherwise you're at risk of no insurance, and a criminal record.

Trailer tyres take a hammering - I'd go for commercial van tyres, given the option.

See PM if you have any more queries !

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Chris,

Brian James trailers are good, well made and do the job nicely.

Bear in mind that a rallying TR7 is no lightweight - at least Bert's ex-works cars aren't ! You're looking at around 1200kgs.

The weight is also fairly well forward, so you need a trailer of reasonable length to sit the car back a little - otherwise you'll suffer hugely excessive nose weight.

Range Rovers eat fuel like there's no tomorrow, whatever engine they have. Transits aren't so bad, but I find that a lwb Trannie tows much better than the swb version. We used to tow behind a 820 Vitesse, but the rear suspension wasn't really up to it - hence replaced by the 530d Touring 'Panzer Lorry'.

Make sure that the tow vehicle is adequately rated to haul the total weight (trailer+TR), and for that matter that the trailer is adequately rated for the TR - otherwise you're at risk of no insurance, and a criminal record.

Trailer tyres take a hammering - I'd go for commercial van tyres, given the option.

See PM if you have any more queries !

Cheers,

Alec

Chris

I tow 3500 kg most of the time at work including this for leisure ,the advise I gave you was sound

Edited by ntc

Nearly decided to go for a new Brian James tilt bed rated at 1500kg load capacity, my rear track width is just over 5ft 11in running wets, from what has been said I will look out for a LWB transit but will check on weights first. Just need to check on the length for the nose heavy comment.

The other advantage of a transit is being able to chuck it all in and go, leaving most of it there when not in use. and loads of sticker space for the charity.

Thanks for the PM Alec but I think you have given me all I need to know. Hope to get this thing up and running soon to raise some cash, waiting for Alzhiemers research PR dept to get their finger out and decide if they want to run with my plans, if not then I go it alone.

Nearly decided to go for a new Brian James tilt bed rated at 1500kg load capacity, my rear track width is just over 5ft 11in running wets, from what has been said I will look out for a LWB transit but will check on weights first. Just need to check on the length for the nose heavy comment.

The other advantage of a transit is being able to chuck it all in and go, leaving most of it there when not in use. and loads of sticker space for the charity.

Thanks for the PM Alec but I think you have given me all I need to know. Hope to get this thing up and running soon to raise some cash, waiting for Alzhiemers research PR dept to get their finger out and decide if they want to run with my plans, if not then I go it alone.

Sounds like a good plan to me you tell them the weights required and they will sort it from there. Ref Lwb v Swb no difference providing it is rear wheel drive aim for 100 or more for the engine if possible

Ps and good luck with your fund raising

Neil

Edited by ntc
Sounds like a good plan to me you tell them the weights required and they will sort it from there. Ref Lwb v Swb no difference providing it is rear wheel drive aim for 100 or more for the engine if possible

Ps and good luck with your fund raising

Neil

Why RWD, more weight at the back and more stable ?

Not public yet and not functional but my fund raising efforts will start from Lostmemories.co.uk I have raised £690 so far this year through Ebay sales, I dont realy have a monetery goal but hope to help raise awareness. Will let the forum know when it all kicks off.

Chris

Edited by V8again
Why RWD, more weight at the back and more stable ?

Not public yet and not functional but my fund raising efforts will start from Lostmemories.co.uk I have raised £690 so far this year through Ebay sales, I dont realy have a monetery goal but hope to help raise awareness. Will let the forum know when it all kicks off.

Chris

Stability and traction plus the front wheel drive vans tend to have low power engine output

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris- I currently run an '03 Mitsubishi L200 pick-up with a full rear canopy( mobile dog kennel ). It has coped with towing a number of trailers, inc car trailers & twin-axle caravans. The towing weight is 2700kg( the later model 3000 ) & MPG just under 30, well worth considering.

Richard

I bought a Fountain trailer because of its lightweight construction and had a lightweight soft cover / frame made for it .... its fantastic. Trailer is about £1700 with all the bits for a TR plus 4 feet for tyre rack etc. Cover adds about the same again.

Had it for 3 years now and absolutely no problems whatsoever, used at least once a month.

I now tow it fully laden with a BMW 530 diesel estate - 40mpg with the TR4 and all kit aboard and its just a superb thing.

Tony

I bought a Fountain trailer because of its lightweight construction and had a lightweight soft cover / frame made for it .... its fantastic. Trailer is about £1700 with all the bits for a TR plus 4 feet for tyre rack etc. Cover adds about the same again.

Had it for 3 years now and absolutely no problems whatsoever, used at least once a month.

I now tow it fully laden with a BMW 530 diesel estate - 40mpg with the TR4 and all kit aboard and its just a superb thing.

Tony

Thanks Tony I have had a look, do you have a tilt bed C200 ? My only problem is that Brian James have a stockist near me in Sussex but worth considering.

Whilst watching trailers on Ebay I spotted a couple of guys desperate to find their stolen trailers, as we are like minded and national perhaps we can keep an eye out.

Stolen trailer no 1

Stolen trailer no 2

Edited by V8again
Whilst watching trailers on Ebay I spotted a couple of guys desperate to find their stolen trailers, as we are like minded and national perhaps we can keep an eye out.

Slight thread hijack - trailer security:

I keep my trailer in full view of a (quiet) suburban road.

I have a clamp (an "SAS"!) on one wheel, covering up one wheel nut, and a padlocked chain securing a spare ball into the hitch.

Apart from chaining the thing to an expanding bolt in concrete, in the ground, I can't see any other way of making it immovable.

What do you do about trailer security?

John

Hi John,

use a cutting torch to burn identification into the trailer metalwork - this evidence is very difficult to remove !

Reverting to the earlier discussion re towing vehicles, specifically commercial vehicles. One aspect to watch out for is Kerb Mass compared to Gross Train Mass. LWB Transits for example have ample towing capacity, some MWB and most SWB versions do not . . . .

And don't be fooled by some manufacturer's rated 'towing weights' - which can be achieved on private roads, but not on the public highway. Rated 'towing weight' may be 2000kgs for example, but in reality the empty van and driver (no payload) may be able to pull no more than 1500kgs before GTM is exceeded.

A 3500kgs GTM and a KM of 1700-1900kgs leaves a remaining capacity of 1600-1800kgs - that's the loaded trailer, van payload and personnel. A 7V8 will weigh at least 1100kgs, plus say 500kgs for the trailer and that's your 1600 ! Two blokes plus tools, spares, camping gear etc etc can easily add another 300kgs.

If you do get pulled by 'the men from the ministry' and checked on a weighbridge, the discretion factor is usually nil. The penalties are not funny, don't be surprised at 6 penalty points and several hundred pounds fine for being just 100kgs over weight. Not to mention the knock-on effect on your insurance premiums for the next few years.

Caveat emptor, as ever.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi John,

use a cutting torch to burn identification into the trailer metalwork - this evidence is very difficult to remove !

Reverting to the earlier discussion re towing vehicles, specifically commercial vehicles. One aspect to watch out for is Kerb Mass compared to Gross Train Mass. LWB Transits for example have ample towing capacity, some MWB and most SWB versions do not . . . .

And don't be fooled by some manufacturer's rated 'towing weights' - which can be achieved on private roads, but not on the public highway. Rated 'towing weight' may be 2000kgs for example, but in reality the empty van and driver (no payload) may be able to pull no more than 1500kgs before GTM is exceeded.

A 3500kgs GTM and a KM of 1700-1900kgs leaves a remaining capacity of 1600-1800kgs - that's the loaded trailer, van payload and personnel. A 7V8 will weigh at least 1100kgs, plus say 500kgs for the trailer and that's your 1600 ! Two blokes plus tools, spares, camping gear etc etc can easily add another 300kgs.

If you do get pulled by 'the men from the ministry' and checked on a weighbridge, the discretion factor is usually nil. The penalties are not funny, don't be surprised at 6 penalty points and several hundred pounds fine for being just 100kgs over weight. Not to mention the knock-on effect on your insurance premiums for the next few years.

Caveat emptor, as ever.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec

You are making me twitch with this. Could you define what KM and GTM are?

The handbook of my Audi A3 gives a max towing weight of 1500kg and the trailer with all the clobber and the TR weighs 1465kg. Are you saying anything that goes in the Audi including the driver is counted?

Regards

John

Hi John,

"re towing vehicles, specifically commercial vehicles" . . . .

Commercial vehicles list a gross train mass (formerly gross train weight) on their plates, which is a legal limit. Some commercials also advise in their handbooks a maximum safe towing weight, which may be appropriate off road but doesn't influence the GTM limitation for use on the public road.

The point that many of us miss is that LWB commercials almost invariably have a significantly higher GTM than their SWB counterparts with the same engine specification.

Private cars are another matter, and the situation is not always so clear. Most car manufacturers only offer a recommended maximum towing weight or mass, as has been the case since the early 1990s. This is for all practical purposes a legal limit.

Some cars are not manufacturer-specified for towing at all, (eg BMW Z-series), and a few are apparently starting to show a GTM - which presumably will be a legal limit as per commercials.

Meanwhile, there is a generally accepted principle for caravan towing, that weight of the caravan should not exceed 85% of the weight of the towing vehicle. Whilst ony a guideline, this is one accepted by most insurers.

The main logic behind the limits with reference to private cars is their ability to perform a hill start with caravan or trailer in tow.

The situation regarding 4x4 vehicles is similar - commercial variants will quote a GTM, private car type 4x4s may have a recommended towing maximum or in some cases may quote a GTM.

As far as any commercial is concerned - check the plate on the vehicle ! As far as cars are concerned, check the handbook, and to be on the safe side check the plate as well !

Cheers,

Alec

The other thing with towing a lot of weight is how much it will push you on into corners etc when its wet. With the trailer weight right up on the limit Its not funny to find the trailer trying to overtake you sideways. Also you have to remember individual axle weights as well so the spread of the weight needs to be equal . The men from the ministry (Wheeltappers in commercial parlance) are very hot on that as well and the fines go up for every extra kilo over :(

Stuart.

The previous model Ford Transit 330/115 SWB had a gtw of 5400kg. Our company often tow 1500 kg mini digger's on Ivor Williams trailer's (670kg) as do many utility companies . We have been checked often with weight's and never had a problem. You should always check the vehicle specification.

Regards

Neil

Right enough Neil,

current 330 SWB range are rated at 4500-5300kgs GTM depending on model. Good tugs !

The problem comes with the more common 300, 280 and 260 SWB ranges which are only rated at 3500kgs, as is the 280 MWB.

300 and above MWB, and all LWB models, are rated at 4500kgs or greater GTM.

Cheers,

Alec

Any Range Rover will pull that load with relative ease, and perfectly legally.

Bear in mind that a Rangie and trailer needs to be treated with respect. You can't take liberties ! And you won't pass too many fuel stations without making their acquaintance . . . .

Back in the 70s I had a P5 Coupe 3litre Rover and a 3.3litre Vauxhall Viscount as tow cars - both brilliant with a single axle trailer and single seater race car. Lean them over on the bumpstops, and a 6-wheel drift no problem. The big mistake was acquiring Range Rover replacements - fuel consumption 10mpg rather than 15, and arriving late at the circuit and back home too late for the pub. The Rangies just couldn't make the average speeds of the big saloons. Needless to say soon replaced ! P5 V8 and Chrysler Valiant V8 - they could both cut the mustard.

Cheers,

Alec