chroming

Guest james67

Guest james67

Halo All

I am looking to get some rechroming done on my 4A bumper and some other stuff and was wondering if any one out there could recommend some one preferably in the Sussex area.

Regards James B)

Edited by james67
Halo All

I am looking to get some rechroming done on my 4A bumper and some other stuff and was wondering if any one out there could recommend some one preferably in the Sussex area.

Regards James B)

Not Sussex James, but S&T in Bristol collect and deliver to you all very well packaged, a super job , not cheap though.

john

Hi James,

Another option for you. Best Electroplating, small plating company in Crawley - (01293) 532843 (they have a website if you want full details).

They rechromed the windscreen surround and stanchions on my 3A. £200 (cash in hand). Very satisfied with the results.

Regards Bernie

Hi

My tr4 got bumped in the rear at Le Mans last year and have been waiting for all this time a new one which are still not available. Found a guy at the classic car show at the NEC who can repair and re chrome the original.

He quoted £165 for the re chrome plus repair which the ins co are going to pay.

Unfortunately he is in Coventry but postage only cost about £10.

The stuff he had on show looked good but my bumper not back yet (still with the tinny man being re shaped) so cant tell you the result.

CHROME RESTORATION SERVICES

Bob Cooper 02476 364004

Home 01785 212878.

Might be worth a call got a quote from a company in Alton, Hants of £250 for chrome only no repair

Phil

Guest james67

Hi Pill

A friend I no through the harley world recommended Ashford Chroming www.ashfordchroming.com in Kent to me I gave them a ring and spoke to a martin webb they quoted me

1 Bumper £180.00 2 Overiders £90 Carriage & Packing £20 they will pick up from me and 10 to 15 days later get them back to me for this cost.

I had a good look at there web site and they seem to no what there are doing so I was going to give them a go

James

Halo All

Regards James B)

Hi James,

I appreciate you have been given an address in Crawley which must be favourite, but if it doesn't work out I would suggest:-

Silva Bronze/Kingsley Chrome,

Unit 19B,

Caker Stream Rd,

Alton,

Hants.

GU34 2QF

01420 80880

They did a good stripping/chroming job (plus a couple of dents!) on my front over riders last year - £90.

Geoff

• 2 months later...
Guest james67

Well just to bring you all up to date I can recommend to you all to give Ashford Chroming www.ashfordchroming.com the biggest widest berth as you can. After all this time all I have achieved is an emptying of my back account and I am now having to take Ashford Chroming to court to recover my property and money.

James,

I am sorry to hear you are having 'difficulties'.

I use Derby Plating for chrome work every time.

Not cheap but certainly (one of) the best.

Generally in life you tend to get what you pay for.

I would rather pay more and do it once, rather than have a cheaper job done much more frequently....it will work out to cost less in the long run!

David

James,

you may also wish to consider the new Stainless Steel bumpers from Harrington Group. Just brought a pair for my TR4A, including ovcer riders for £638 including delivery. Really good finish, hard to tell from original, plus being S/S they won't rust. Follow the bumper blade topic under the TR4/4A thread.

Cheers

Bully

Hi James

As an add on to my previous info, rear bumper came back repaired and re chromed from bob cooper looking like new.

I have now sent him the front bumper and both over riders which he is charging £165 including return postage.

The rear repair and re chrome for the rear bumper came to £250 with postage which seems pretty good value only downside is time the front has been away for about 4 weeks should be back soon..

Cheers Phil..

London Chroming 735 Old Kent Road will do bumpers and also repair them which a lot of them dont.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I hope you don't mind my picking your professional brain. I am restoring a TR3A and will need to re-chrome some parts when the time comes. I am very interested in this thread. I hope to send all the parts off together to get the best value. Some of the parts have small pits e.g. the windscreen stanchions. Is it possible to replate this type of part with good results oris it necessary purchase new?

Regards,

Martin

Hi Stuart,

I hope you don't mind my picking your professional brain. I am restoring a TR3A and will need to re-chrome some parts when the time comes. I am very interested in this thread. I hope to send all the parts off together to get the best value. Some of the parts have small pits e.g. the windscreen stanchions. Is it possible to replate this type of part with good results oris it necessary purchase new?

Regards,

Martin

The stanchions and widscreen frame are brass so dont suffer the same problems as the Mazack door handles etc which are mostly the problem areas.. I usually discuss any parts that are badly pitted with the chromers first. Successive coats of copper and then repolishing will eliminate the pits before the nickel/chrome layers are applied but it all adds up. Their finish is first rate (albeit expensive).

Stuart.

Hi Phil

Spoke to bob on the phone this morning all sounds good could you let me have his address

Regards James

Hi James

I am suprised he didn"t give it to you, anyway.

Home address is where you need to send parts as his wife deals with that side of it

38 Coronation rd

Stafford

ST16 3JR

Tel 01785 212878

Work address is 34L Baton rd

Exhall Coventry

CV79EJ

I sent parts and phoned to ensure she had them, as i said before he is not quick and i can only say i was happy with the work done but obviously cannot absolutely recomend him thats your risk

I live in portsmouth if you wanted to view my bumper please do contact me,..

Any body tried

London and Brighton Chroming - in Brighton, nice and local.

http://www.lbplating.com/companyhistory.htm

Who a local time served mechanic told me ' you won't go far wrong with'.

Or alternativly

Croydon Electroplaters Ltd

Bridge Parade, 2 Waddon Rd, Croydon, CR0 4JH 020 86884709‎

who quoted me £90 to fill and chrome the front bar on my 4A if I was in not particular rush.

• 1 month later...
Well just to bring you all up to date I can recommend to you all to give Ashford Chroming www.ashfordchroming.com the biggest widest berth as you can. After all this time all I have achieved is an emptying of my back account and I am now having to take Ashford Chroming to court to recover my property and money.

Hi James,

Couldn't agree more, just had an awful experience with that lot.

They had my parts for over 13 weeks for triple plating, the finish is dreadful, one item is badly pitted, the other has chrome peeling off and to top it all they butchered a set of titanium screws.

I was lucky in getting my stuff back but not without having to pay for it.

If you require any support, ie evidence of my situation, I'll gladly help.

In January I sent some parts to Ray Hodge in Essex, the chap who trades as Flying Finch on eBay.

On some the finish is poor, pitted, well OK they were pitted to begin with, but on two parts chemicals not cleaned off, rusty already, and one other is peeling.

Waiting to see what he will do about it but ....... Well, he was cheap, my fault.

As has been said, buy cheap buy twice. <_<

Ivor

Now all you lot have discovered that cheap aint no good stop messing about and send your parts to London Chroming 02076396434. First class work and they do repairs as well. No connection just a very satisfied customer of many years standing.

Stuart.

Hi James,

I appreciate you have been given an address in Crawley which must be favourite, but if it doesn't work out I would suggest:-

Silva Bronze/Kingsley Chrome,

Unit 19B,

Caker Stream Rd,

Alton,

Hants.

GU34 2QF

01420 80880

They did a good stripping/chroming job (plus a couple of dents!) on my front over riders last year - £90.

Geoff

Just to add my tuppence worth to the chroming debate, I was wondering how Geoff was finding his chromed over riders now. I too took my over riders and a rear bumper to those fellows at Silva Bronz. This was about three years ago. Whilst I was quite happy with the finish on the over riders, I was a bit disappointed with the rear bumper... over the past two years a few pinhole rust spots have appeared in the surface