Hi All,

I have always wanted to add a Tr3 to my stable, i have been seeing whats about, am not in an immediate rush, timescale within twelve weeks or so.

Problem for me is living on a rock in the English Channel does not make it easy for me to

simply jump in the car and drive down the road or take a trip to see any cars, so prior to me going to see any vehicle

i want to try and find out if any members know the car/s, good or bad.

So heres two

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C62258

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C59179

Any opinoins

Thanks Greatly appreciated

Guy

Hello Guy, depends which way you want to go, red car looks original,proper steering,nice interior and underbonnet,probably not original registration number. nice hard top. Green car not so original, Rand P steering, altered underbonnet, looks more racy, original number plus history, both cars fairly priced, you pay your money scenario, in my opinion red car wins.

Cheers Paul.

Guest colinTR2

Guy

Lenham Sports Cars are close to where I live in Kent. The owner also runs a TR2 and we see him from time to time at a Group meeting. I would be happy to go and have a look at the car, please contact me by e-mail.

I would say that the red one would be my choice. It looks nice except that the wires under the dashboard need to be tidied up. The engine area has been re-sprayed and re-assembled with bolts which have not been painted over.

The rear wings on the green TR3 have been replaced with repro wings. Notice how the correct curve from the rear brake lights straight down to the bottom is not there. See also here.

Guy neither are particularly clean under the bonnet and it does look as if they both have R&P. The green one was on a while ago I think. Both around the right price but I would be inclined to investigate the green one further. Dont forget earlier 3s still had drum brakes although It looks as if the red one has been converted to Girling masters so should have discs as well. Best time to buy will be end of January when the Christmas bills start rolling in ;)

Stuart.

That looks better Stuart, £2K dearer.

Cheers Paul.

In the current climate money talks ;) Im sure a sensible offer may well buy it!

Stuart.

Hi All,

Thanks very much for all of your replies. :rolleyes:

I will take advise on board, problem with me is that sometimes i can be impulsive :unsure:

and rush into a decision, i do like the blue one looks very clean, tidy and sorted. I also like the red one.

But i am determined that this purchase will not be a rush decision.

Regards

Guy

Actually the one I would go for is this one on US ebay, needs finishing but I think it would be a better car at the end of the day.

TR3

and easy shipping from its current location.

Stuart.

...i do like the blue one looks very clean, tidy and sorted.

If you decide to pursue this, let me know - I live near Stevenage and could go look at it.

Might also be worth contacting Jon Marshall (Lea Valley Group leader) as it may be a known car.

If you decide to pursue this, let me know - I live near Stevenage and could go look at it.

Might also be worth contacting Jon Marshall (Lea Valley Group leader) as it may be a known car.

The car is known by Bill Pigott, it was one he rescued and sold two years ago to the present seller. I went and looked at it last weekend. The original reg was TYR2.

Good sidescreen cars are selling like hot cakes at the moment, it seems every one I call about has sold. :(

The car is known by Bill Pigott, it was one he rescued and sold two years ago to the present seller. I went and looked at it last weekend. The original reg was TYR2.

Good sidescreen cars are selling like hot cakes at the moment, it seems every one I call about has sold. :(

Jack

You aint Joking, Lenham one just been sold,

Did you buy it?

Cheers

Guy

Good Lord! TYR 2. How one's past comes back. I did not own it, but a work colleague did, some 35 years ago. He introduced me to the TR Register. It is hardly surprising that I would never have recognised it. It was (un-original) yellow at the time, with the number stuck on across the front apron and driven without mercy as is correct.

I know this does not contribute much but please allow an old codger a bit of dribbling reminiscence.

Nick Webster

Edited by Nick Webster

No I didn't buy it. He has not got the seats in yet , so you can't test drive it.

Car was stood for a long time and Bill never had it running so he could not comment on the engine. The dynamo needs replacing as its making lots of noise and feels rough. Paint work was nice, but not an original colour for a TR3 (ok for 3a) if that bothers you. I love that blue myself. Both door bottoms have been replaced and the fronts of the inner wings. Boot lid also replaced. He only needed to weld a small area on the front of the chassis.

Its an expensive game traveling all over the country to look at cars. Last week was a 400 mile round trip to see one car. But there will be others. So come on guys sell your cars. ;)

Hello Guy,

just to throw my 2 pennorth in, The USA California car looks a bargain, my TR3A came from there, you would not believe how good the body was.

Tax is only £50 plus say £1250 for shipping.

Save a lot of dosh on a UK job, get a better car and with the money saved go on holiday to Cleethorps!

And it looks a belter.

It's too bad the blue one from California was re-sprayed in a hurry. Look closely at the rubber seal in the boot and the spare wheel opening. Also notice the overspray on the leather straps for the spare wheel and also on the brake fluid reservoir. Maybe I'm too fussy.

The blue is Winchester Blue or Salvador Blue or Wedgewood Blue which would be correct for a TR3 or for a very early TR3A. Stuart's looks somewhat like this.

It's too bad the blue one from California was re-sprayed in a hurry. Look closely at the rubber seal in the boot and the spare wheel opening. Also notice the overspray on the leather straps for the spare wheel and also on the brake fluid reservoir. Maybe I'm too fussy.

The blue is Winchester Blue or Salvador Blue or Wedgewood Blue which would be correct for a TR3 or for a very early TR3A. Stuart's looks somewhat like this.

I would say at a guess that its Salvador Blue. The one in my Avatar photo is done in the same. But sadly that car is no more as after I sold it, it metamorphosed into something else :angry::angry:;)!!!!

I wish I had kept my Black plate 3 as like the one on ebay it was just such a pleasure to work on(worst problem was getting rid of the sand! No rot anywhere even the bottom captives on the rear wings undid without the need for any WD!

As to the cheap respray Don if its cheap enough it doesnt matter ;)

Stuart

I would say at a guess that its Salvador Blue. The one in my Avatar photo is done in the same. But sadly that car is no more as after I sold it, it metamorphosed into something else :angry::angry:;)!!!!

I wish I had kept my Black plate 3 as like the one on ebay it was just such a pleasure to work on(worst problem was getting rid of the sand! No rot anywhere even the bottom captives on the rear wings undid without the need for any WD!

As to the cheap respray Don if its cheap enough it doesnt matter ;)

Stuart

Thanks for all the input.

Had thought of going the above route, but my garage isnt big enough to accomadate my Tr6, and another undergoing restoration. It would mean the Tr6 would have to sleep outdoors. Plus to be honest i havent got the experience to complete a puker job.

As it is am clearing out the accumulated gear, kids bikes (at least half a dozen) old scooters etc etc to make way for my new future purchase, a good time to give the garage a good once over, new floor paint, work bench etc Need to find something neat to put my tools in , they are spread all over.

Am sure you know what i mean.

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Looks as if someone couldnt wait on the Salvador blue 3 in California as its sold already. I knew that would be a good one to buy. I hope it went to a register member.

Stuart.

Anyone know who bought the TR3a restoration Clive Manvers sold on Ebay in the last few days ? I think it went for £3500 and looked to be a very solid basis for a reasonably straight forward restoration although I didn't see the car myself. I take it it wasn't you Guy, but despite your no doubt modest comments I think you may even have been tempted by that one, as it only (!!) looked like it wanted bolting back together.

Anyone know who bought the TR3a restoration Clive Manvers sold on Ebay in the last few days ? I think it went for £3500 and looked to be a very solid basis for a reasonably straight forward restoration although I didn't see the car myself. I take it it wasn't you Guy, but despite your no doubt modest comments I think you may even have been tempted by that one, as it only (!!) looked like it wanted bolting back together.

Well Trevor,

I dont think i would have been tempted, and do appreciate those that are :rolleyes:

I enjoy tinkering and maintenance and fitting upgrades, sorting probs etc. But a full blown restoration envolving everything....... i would have a go and it would be ok, . .. Trouble is i dont want to spend a year or two rebuilding, i want to be out there on the road.

I have a six as you know , when i eventualy find a three , i will have to take them out on alternate days. :lol: Also thought, of other problems...... which one to i drive to the International, which one to Classic Le Mans in 2010, and which to take on my other French trips.

How do you chose....... toss a coin ????

Cheers

Guy

Come on Guy,

get some septic knuckles, a few good welding burns and make freinds with the Pretty Nurse at your local A@E clinic.

Dont be a southern softee, and as for choosing you wont have to decide which to use, the great British weather system will make your mind up for you every

Time