Guy,

It seems you are in a similar situation as we were a few years ago. My TR3A had been off the road for about 16 years and needed work and skills way beyond my basic mechanical expertise. Eventually we bit the bullet and had the work done by trusted professionals, which rapidly turned into a full-scale rebuild when we all realised how much worse it was under the skin than appeared from the outside.

So while this was happening, and after many years talking about it, we finally bought Lynda a TR4A which just happened to have a Surrey top. So now we have two TRs to choose from for trips or just days out, but the selection is not too difficult.

If I'm alone and it's not pi$$ing down or forecast to do so, I take my TR3A which is generally topless (as was its predecessor). If the weather is poor and Lynda is on board, then her TR4A is much warmer and more waterproof with the steel hardtop which she insists on keeping fitted. I was a bit aghast at her decision at first but have to admit that it does really look much better with it on and provides us with a different type of TR motoring from the TR3A.

During the week, if I need to go anywhere that doesn't require an estate car and where I can park in relative safety from shopping trolleys and low-lifes, or just fancy some motoring therapy, I take either one, more or less in rotation, simply to give them both a bit of exercise and prevent the seizing-up of brakes, clutch-plates, etc., which are a feature of cars cossetted during the winter.

Thanks Stuart , Peter and BrianC,

I must be a southern softee,cant find the North Devon Body thread, but although tempted with the North Devon Body, get a chassis and buy a parts car,

its not for me ......this time. :unsure: I already have two other cars sitting patiently outside my garage awaiting my attention.

So i will just sit and wait for the right Smallmouth to appear, got a few winter jobs on the Tr6.

Cheers

Guy

Found the thread, the body is a 3a, i was after a 3 , so i dont have to think about that one anymore :rolleyes:

Edited by Jersey Royal

I'm with you Guy, in that although I own a complete 4 and an almost complete 2 my favourite side screen is a TR3. I was tempted for a short while to put the smallmouth TR3 grille on the 2 but as it is a long door 2 I thought better of it. TR3s seem relatively hard to come by as I was after a 3 originally but gave up trying to find one and acquired the 2 restoration project instead. Be paitent however a TR3 will appear in due course, and the search can be interesting.

I'm with you Guy, in that although I own a complete 4 and an almost complete 2 my favourite side screen is a TR3. I was tempted for a short while to put the smallmouth TR3 grille on the 2 but as it is a long door 2 I thought better of it. TR3s seem relatively hard to come by as I was after a 3 originally but gave up trying to find one and acquired the 2 restoration project instead. Be paitent however a TR3 will appear in due course, and the search can be interesting.

Not much luck this far re smallmouth.

Although have a couple of leads. <_<

How about this.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C67479#

Any one know it.

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Not much luck this far re smallmouth.

Although have a couple of leads. <_<

How about this.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C67479#

Any one know it.

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy, That car is in great condition, looked at it last weekend along with three TR3a's. The green is not as light as the rear photo shows, but is dark like the front view photo. Brakes were a little scarry on the test drive, but probably me being use to servo assist. Only main problem is that it has a TR3A rear panel, I have seen several 2's with them fitted. Oh, one other problem, I am picking it up tomorrow :D .

You need to be quick to get a good side-screen ;) I am glad I can now stop looking for one, its just too much like hard work. I was starting to get sick of the disapointment of traveling hundreds of miles to see piles of filler covered rust.

Jack

Oh, one other problem, I am picking it up tomorrow :D .

Jack

Looks like a very nice car Jack, well done! On the subject of the back panel being a later one, a lot of 2s were converted to take indicator plinths anyway as its a damn sight safer with them than without and the later type panel was all that was available for many years. Drum brakes do need careful adjustment but they are fine when you get used to them. My last early 3 would lock all four in a straight line when hard pressed.

Stuart.

Hi Guy, That car is in great condition, looked at it last weekend along with three TR3a's. The green is not as light as the rear photo shows, but is dark like the front view photo. Brakes were a little scarry on the test drive, but probably me being use to servo assist. Only main problem is that it has a TR3A rear panel, I have seen several 2's with them fitted. Oh, one other problem, I am picking it up tomorrow :D .

You need to be quick to get a good side-screen ;) I am glad I can now stop looking for one, its just too much like hard work. I was starting to get sick of the disapointment of traveling hundreds of miles to see piles of filler covered rust.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Cheers Mate :lol:

Looks nice car , recieved an e mail from the owner advising me thats its sold and due to be picked up this weekend.

Good Luck with her and enjoy.

Brian,

I am really after a Tr3, as i do like the smmallmouth front, saw the Tr2 like that too.

Have even though of buying a Tr3a and having a Smallmouth front fitted, :o but i suppose it would be equally difficult to find that panel. Sorry if that upsets anyone, i would of course keep the original front for future re use if needed.

Anyway i am still looking.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Guy, Have you seen this add.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classi...php/carno/35463

What about the two TR3's in the classified adds of the xmas TRAction?

Jack

Hi Jack

The two in car and classic are both sold. Wish some advertisers would update there adverts.

Thanks to Trevor he e mailed me the details of those two in Traction, and i await further info.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

£3K buys a fair amount of engine rectification work, which rather begs the question of just what the seller suspects might actually be wrong with the engine . . . . ?

I'd check out the costs of a full engine rebuild and budget accordingly, rather than hoping it'll be something simple.

There ought to be one or two Forum members in the Stevenage area to have an initial look for you ?

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Guy,

£3K buys a fair amount of engine rectification work, which rather begs the question of just what the seller suspects might actually be wrong with the engine . . . . ?

I'd check out the costs of a full engine rebuild and budget accordingly, rather than hoping it'll be something simple.

There ought to be one or two Forum members in the Stevenage area to have an initial look for you ?

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

Thanks,

Jack Horner on this forum, who this weekend should of picked up his new Tr2, has had a look and given me feedback on that car, so lets say its out of the equation.

Don,

I think the owner is having interior redone.

Anyway i just thought as this car was discussed earlier it was of interest to bring it up.

I do have a lead on a Tr3 at present which is not as yet advertised, will see what happens, no point rushing in with both feet.

Cheers

Guy

. i have been offered a MGA which is actually a local car, <_<

Edited by Jersey Royal
Guy,

Picked my TR2 up on Saturday :D

The Blue TR3 advert makes me mad. It gives the impression that they are a proper garage with a workshop etc, rather than a guy working at home in his garage. There's more to that engine story than he is letting on.

Jack,

So hows your new motor?

We expect to see a few photos when you can. :rolleyes:

Congrats

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Jack,

So hows your new motor?

We expect to see a few photos when you can. :rolleyes:

Congrats

Guy

Will do some pics at the weekend. The only problem I have found that needs looking at other than oil leaks, is the handbrake. Nearly ran the wife over when I tilted the trailer and the car rolled off by itself, its funny now, but I was thinking of my bikes which were parked in the garage right behind it. So I am just going to order up a new ratchet and pawl, before I strip it out. It came with new rear brake shoes, so I will need to take a look and fit those before I do anything else.

Jack.

Edited by Jack Horner

Jack - this may be a stupid question to ask, but .... you are aware that TRs have fly-off handbrakes?

Just a thought.

TR2/3/4 handbrakes are normally fantastic - tremendous leverage and should hold the car on any hill.

Ian Cornish

Jack - this may be a stupid question to ask, but .... you are aware that TRs have fly-off handbrakes?

Just a thought.

TR2/3/4 handbrakes are normally fantastic - tremendous leverage and should hold the car on any hill.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian, Not a stupid question, I do know its a fly off handbrake, but its the first car I have had with one. I tried the handbrake on the test drive and found it to be difficult to disengage, but put that down to me not being use to one. After it rolled off the trailer, I have found it hard to get it to engage. So suspect a problem with the ratchet and pawl. I will have it apart at the weekend to find out.

Regards Jack

When I got home after collecting my TR3A from its rebuild, I had the same problem - got out of the car and away it rolled down the gentle slope into the road. Fortunately there was no passing traffic and I managed to stop it without disaster, but found the handbrake seemed to click on but not hold. I couldn't understand this as the car had a new MOT and I was sure the handbrake had been working when we stopped a couple of times en route home. During the next few weeks I carried a pair of wheel chocks everywhere as insurance and found that sometimes the handbrake worked and sometimes it didn't. Since the car was due to go back for a 500 mile check-up and oil change, I decided to carry on regardless and by the time the car went back the handbrake was 100% reliable, so we never did find out what the problem was. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Chaps,

This is creepy,

I have just recieved a Xmas Card from my girlfriends mum, and here it is

img017-1.jpg

The funny thing is, she does not know i am looking to buy a Tr3. :blink:

And yet she finds a card with a classic car on, but also a Triumph , and a Tr3. :unsure:

Apparently she thought, what a nice car, Guy will like that.

Shes never seen a Tr3. :mellow:

Always said she was a witch :lol::lol:

Is it an omen.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Ok Chaps,

This is creepy,

I have just recieved a Xmas Card from my girlfriends mum, and here it is

img017-1.jpg

The funny thing is, she does not know i am looking to buy a Tr3. :blink:

And yet she finds a card with a classic car on, but also a Triumph , and a Tr3. :unsure:

Apparently she thought, what a nice car, Guy will like that.

Shes never seen a Tr3. :mellow:

Always said she was a witch :lol::lol:

Is it an omen.

Cheers

Guy

Fraid so :blink: Now you just have to buy one ;)

Stuart

And it will have to be GREEN.

Hi Don,

Just had a few pictures of a white Tr3 which i thought might have been the one, unfortunately not for me :blink:

So it looks like i could well be looking for the car in the card. :lol:

Cheers

GUY

Edited by Jersey Royal