lifting body off tr6

all body to frame bolts have been removed. wires, hoses,etc. have been disconnected. able to separate body from frame. my question is..... can six guys lift this off.my first impression is no,but i thought i i read on the forum that it had been done. how much of the shell need s to go.do i need to remove the fuel tank(it's been drained),the convertable and hardware,and anything else someone might suggest.garage is small so body has to go in driveway.any suggestions are appreciated.thanks

Hi Mark,

if your lifting off by hand it is best to reduce the weight as much as possible (but not compulsary) boot lid, bonnet, doors, seats etc.

Putting it back is more tricky and time consuming so again the lighter the better.

If you remove the doors don't forget to brace the door openings.

The other way of course is to make a frame on wheels whereby you can raise the body off the chassis (Ropes and pulleys) and then you can move the body and chassis in and out your garage as you wish with one over the top of the other. It worked in my small garage for best part of 5 years

Roger

Hi Mark,

if your lifting off by hand it is best to reduce the weight as much as possible (but not compulsary) boot lid, bonnet, doors, seats etc.

Putting it back is more tricky and time consuming so again the lighter the better.

If you remove the doors don't forget to brace the door openings.

The other way of course is to make a frame on wheels whereby you can raise the body off the chassis (Ropes and pulleys) and then you can move the body and chassis in and out your garage as you wish with one over the top of the other. It worked in my small garage for best part of 5 years

Roger

Roger shared some of his pictures with me a while ago. His body trolley is something to behold and once you have finished with the TR project you could lay siege to a small city with it afterwords.

If you are short of space (and who isnt) it is a great way to go.

Stan

FWIW a bare shell is a 2 man lift! However with outer panels its best with 4. If its still a fully fitted out shell then 6 will do it easily. To make it less of a lift take the wheels off and drop the car as low as possible onto wood blocks.

Stuart.

Mark,

Don't forget to have one spare person to watch everything and to also be on hand to undo the last forgotten cable/clip/whatever else it could be!

A cunning plan may be to get the car onto your driveway and then have the team of helpers lift up the body whilst the rolling chassis is pushed back into the garage.

Once the rolling chassis is out of the way, it will be easier to to move into the correct storage position as the chassis will not be in the way of the team of helpers.

Good luck.

David

Mark

I put my body onto a home made mobile base.A couple of wooden pallets with wooden cross pieces for the sills to sit on.Some heavy duty castor wheels with a stop lock, did the trick.A big sheet tarpulin over the lot until the chassis was stripped,cleaned,checked and reassembed with the refurbished suspension bits, brake / petrol lines , etc.

Bob

post-1021-1225186676_thumb.jpg

If your intention is a restoration, you might as well strip it down as far as you can while it’s on the chassis. I’ve attached a picture of mine & you can tell how long ago it was by the haircuts (I’m taking the picture) & the girls managed 2 corners without any problems & the wife regularly helped me turn it over on trestles on her own. The tub went out through the fence panel in front of the Fiat, along an alleyway at the side & through another fence panel & into the rear garden where it lived on trestles under a large tarpaulin for some time. It was totally stripped & restored as much as practicable in the garden, prior to going off to be blasted & sprayed with industrial Zinc Chromate primer. Additional bracing was introduced across the car & diagonally as the deck & sides were stripped back & it went off for painting with this in situ.

The rolling chassis was restored & built up in a single garage, carefully wrapped in heavy duty polythene & decked with a plywood base so it became a sort of mobile work platform; the primed tub sat on that (on trestles when upside down) while it was seam sealed, stone chipped & finally sprayed in body colour. It was then fitted to the chassis & built up with the remaining inner & outer panels which were fully fettled to fit & sprayed off the car before welding the sills, final assembly & internal fit out.

post-1021-1225186676_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark

Six lifting no problem but I would suggest you not only brace the door opening's but also brace diagonally as all will not lift at the same time.

Regards

Neil

thanks for replying everyone,but let me clarify what i'm doing.the body is being removed for frame work (Trail arm box sections ). THe shell is intact meaning i have removed only the doors, hood,trunk,seats and front bumpber (rear was impossible to remove,the car has the rubbers can't get to bolts.still on body but not to frame.)the windshield,conv. top, dashboard (with all instruments,heater etc. are intact ),and all body skins are on. not to beat a dead horse but as described above, six should be able to remove the body ? thanks for a reply.

thanks for replying everyone,but let me clarify what i'm doing.the body is being removed for frame work (Trail arm box sections ). THe shell is intact meaning i have removed only the doors, hood,trunk,seats and front bumpber (rear was impossible to remove,the car has the rubbers can't get to bolts.still on body but not to frame.)the windshield,conv. top, dashboard (with all instruments,heater etc. are intact ),and all body skins are on. not to beat a dead horse but as described above, six should be able to remove the body ? thanks for a reply.

Yes, four to lift and two to pour the beers.

Ivor