tr4 pedal box

hi has anyone got a picture of a tr4 pedalbox i have found a box and am not sure what it is are the 4a ones the same are there differant ones i need one for a 1962 car rhd cheers i have a lhd car is it possible to use this box and change just the pedals

Edited by gaz2trs
hi has anyone got a picture of a tr4 pedalbox i have found a box and am not sure what it is are the 4a ones the same are there differant ones i need one for a 1962 car rhd cheers i have a lhd car is it possible to use this box and change just the pedals

Easiest way is to reuse your L/H one and warm the pedals up and bend them slightly to the right. Its usually best to trial fit the unit a couple of times and get them into a nice line to suit your own driving position especially the distance off the clutch pedal to the dipswitch. I did that on my 4a when I converted it and its just right to suit the fact that I wear size ten steel toe caps most of the time! :o

Stuart.

When I converted my first TR (an ex US TR4) from LHD to RHD I did as Stuart did... Measured the offset from the vertical, then heated and bent each of the two pedals the other way... for the accelerator I checked how the RHD was rigged and copied that using steel bar of the same diameter...

Rgds

Hi

The Moss catalogue 08A March 2008 page 27 shows the later type master cylinder bracket which has a switch mounting bracket to accept the electrical brake switch ( shown on pages 60/61).

Earlier cars had a brake switch which was operated by the hydraulic system, plate 3-201 Triumph TR4 & TR4A Workshop Manual, and therefore didn't need the additional switch support bracket.

I've got a spare of each type.... so depending on "what you have got " please PM me if you have the wrong one. (I need to weld on a captive nut on the early type )

Bob

Hi

The Moss catalogue 08A March 2008 page 27 shows the later type master cylinder bracket which has a switch mounting bracket to accept the electrical brake switch ( shown on pages 60/61).

Earlier cars had a brake switch which was operated by the hydraulic system, plate 3-201 Triumph TR4 & TR4A Workshop Manual, and therefore didn't need the additional switch support bracket.

I've got a spare of each type.... so depending on "what you have got " please PM me if you have the wrong one. (I need to weld on a captive nut on the early type )

Bob

hi bob ive got a lhd tr4 ct 10515 L and this came with a a spare pedal box and also a steel rh dash after looking at the spare box its nothing like the tr4 one in the moss book i think it is a lhd tr5/6 box it looks like the one on my tr5 the car is in storage at the moment not at my house so it not easy to say whati have got im collecting parts to convert to rhd and when the car came with a spare box i never realy looked at it and just thougt it was correct i also think that the dash is a tr4a not a 4 in not sure if this can be used i dont no if you can understand any of this cheers gary

The pics are of a late 1962 TR4 RHD pedal box. Mine was LHD, but I am putting it to RHD. By the way, I have the original pedals and the support, that I have heated and bent and I have welded and re-drilled the clevis pin hole in the clutch pedal. Yours for £12 plus p an p - not the master cylinder bracket though, they swap over.

Gary

During a restoration parts are acquired to "fit the bill" .Like so many, myself included,these priceless acquisitions sometimes prove to be "surplus to requirements".

My advice , for what it is worth, is to check out the TR5 ( ? ) pedal box against your own car to be absolutely sure and then review the TR4 situation.

Has it got an electrical switch or hydraulic, this will to some exent dictate which pedal box you need.Do you have the pedals already.Are you happy to

adapt your own /or purchase Rhodri's to make life easy.

The implication in the Moss catalogue is that if it is a TR4A dash you have it can be used for a TR4 with a little fettling.I expect someone like Stuart would be able to be more precise as to the work required.

Bob

Gary

During a restoration parts are acquired to "fit the bill" .Like so many, myself included,these priceless acquisitions sometimes prove to be "surplus to requirements".

My advice , for what it is worth, is to check out the TR5 ( ? ) pedal box against your own car to be absolutely sure and then review the TR4 situation.

Has it got an electrical switch or hydraulic, this will to some exent dictate which pedal box you need.Do you have the pedals already.Are you happy to

adapt your own /or purchase Rhodri's to make life easy.

The implication in the Moss catalogue is that if it is a TR4A dash you have it can be used for a TR4 with a little fettling.I expect someone like Stuart would be able to be more precise as to the work required.

Bob

You can use the 4a dash but it will need the veneered front obviously (As fitted to most later US 4s anyway) and you will need the switch plinth as they are the other way up and the top extends slightly into the veneer. You may have to do a little adaption between the "H" section and the dash as the earlier ones sit slightly different at the top. Its not difficult to do and if you arent too worried about originality then its certainly cheaper than trying to find an early metal dash as they are now commanding a premium in right hand drive form.

Stuart.

• 15 years later...

Hi All

Does anyone have a photo of the pedals and box for a RHD 4a please.

My LHD 4a looks like the photo.

Do I need to bend both to the right to create mirror image of LHD?

But the brake pedal is almost straight so clutch would hit the brake pedal..

Thanks, Steven.

Please wait while image is uploading...

IMG_1514.jpeg

Edited by Steven Whitaker
1 hour ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Hi All

Does anyone have a photo of the pedals and box for a RHD 4a please.

My LHD 4a looks like the photo.

Do I need to bend both to the right to create mirror image of LHD?

But the brake pedal is almost straight so clutch would hit the brake pedal..

Thanks, Steven.

Please wait while image is uploading...

IMG_1514.jpeg

Steven - have a look at the photos in my ad in Classifieds - I'm sure they will help - link here:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/classified/6414/For-Sale-Outright-RHD-Pedal-Sets-for-TR2-4A-Fully-Refurbished

If not, then PM me with your contact details and I'll send further photos 

Cheers Rich

11 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Have you considered changing to the TR6 system with brake booster etc.

Lot of metal work changes required.

Stuart.

On 9/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, rcreweread said:

Steven - have a look at the photos in my ad in Classifieds - I'm sure they will help - link here:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/classified/6414/For-Sale-Outright-RHD-Pedal-Sets-for-TR2-4A-Fully-Refurbished

If not, then PM me with your contact details and I'll send further photos 

Cheers Rich

Thanks buddy.  Very useful.  I’d have bought a set off you had I known, but already too far on for that to make sense.

I appreciate your help.  Cheers.