Hi everyone

The time has come to sort out the seats on my tr4. They are the original early type (type 1) made from vinyl, black with white piping, and the covers are somewhat tatty.

Not sure what to do, so may fit some more myself, in which case the questions are: Is this easy, where is the best place to get the covers from and how much do they cost?

or should I just pay someone to do it, in which case the question is who can do it properly , and how much will it cost (live in Midlands)? I think I would prefer to keep it original, but any thoughts about whether is worth fitting different seats, or leather covers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for replies, Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I refurb'd my 4A seats back the 90's. Leather covers from John Skinner foamy inserts and rubber spring pan from Moss. It all went together well but takes some effort.

Firstly make sure all the frame work in in good order. Spend time cleaning and remove rust etc. Give it a good coat of paint as you will not be seeing them for a very long time.

You will need an assortment of pliers, big and small bulldog clips, welding clamps etc (to hold things in place), upholstery adhesive.

Everything will be tight initially so you have to persever with the covers to get the piping in correct allignment and toget the foam even.

The satisfaction when you have finished a good job is the final reward for the sweat and foul language.

Roger

Hi Kevin,

I refurb'd my 4A seats back the 90's. Leather covers from John Skinner foamy inserts and rubber spring pan from Moss. It all went together well but takes some effort.

Firstly make sure all the frame work in in good order. Spend time cleaning and remove rust etc. Give it a good coat of paint as you will not be seeing them for a very long time.

You will need an assortment of pliers, big and small bulldog clips, welding clamps etc (to hold things in place), upholstery adhesive.

Everything will be tight initially so you have to persever with the covers to get the piping in correct allignment and toget the foam even.

The satisfaction when you have finished a good job is the final reward for the sweat and foul language.

Roger

Don't forget a hair dryer to gently soften the Vinyl or leave the covers out in the sun for a couple of hours. Normally it is only the facing that is leather the rest is good old vinyl

Edited by Kiwifrog

One thing I would add is for the early type seats where the upright portion of the cover is one piece a plastic bag put over the foam will make it much easier to slide the cover down over it.

Stuart.

There's a fellow offering MX5 seats on the Forum (see Sales). I can say from experience - to & from Sicily in Roy Macgregor's TR4 in a really baking June 2005 - that the MX5 seats are far superior to standard TR4. But not original, of course!

Ian Cornish

There's a fellow offering MX5 seats on the Forum (see Sales). I can say from experience - to & from Sicily in Roy Macgregor's TR4 in a really baking June 2005 - that the MX5 seats are far superior to standard TR4. But not original, of course!

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian

Do you know if they are straightforward to fit?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

try the search facility, there are reams of posts on MX5 seats.

Very nice and comfortable seats they are too, and even more so in an MX5 where they belong.

Whether or not nippobox or eurobox armchairs are appropriate in a classic British sports car is an open question - once you start mongrelising, then where do you stop ? And what do you get ?

Or of course you could start with a TR, and go the whole hog and turn it into a hot rod - which is something else entirely, a long-standing and honourable motoring niche, and perfectly reasonable.

Cheers,

Alec

Whether or not nippobox or eurobox armchairs are appropriate in a classic British sports car is an open question - once you start mongrelising, then where do you stop ? And what do you get ?

Surely you're not becoming an originality evangelist Alec? ;)

Hi Brian,

I'll refer that question to Monty Python's "Life of Brian". As in there's only one appropriate fate for an evangelist . . . and no, I'm not a martyr. :rolleyes:

I like TRs, I like hotrods, I like specials, I don't like mongrels masquerading as classics . . .

And if the economy gets that bad, I'll flog the house, live in a caravan, and keep the TRs. Fortunately I have a spare house, so I'm not getting worried yet ! :P

Cheers,

Alec

• 4 weeks later...

If this is still of interest,

I have a pair of TR4 leather seats (Black)

They cost me £300 on ebay three years ago, but they are not right for the TR4A.

If you want them for the same price please let me know.

They have been used, by the previous owner, but they are in good condition and I have kept them in my garage covered in polythene since buying them.

Tony Thomson