Engine drain problem

Hi all,

I've got the engine drain plug out but no oil is coming out. Not even a drop. Took filler cap off too, no change. Dipstick still showing topped up to the top.

Any ideas or TR quirks I should know about please?

Thanks!

Eli

Hi Eli

Has the drain plug been fitted with some sort

of sealant to stop drips etc, it could have caused

a seal in the drain hole. Try poking a thin screw driver

into drain hole to feel for any resistance. If its oil

sludge you need to remove sump & clean it out

it will only contaminate any new oil you put in.

Bob K

There are 2 engine drain plugs!

Theres one on the side of the block above the starter motor for the water,and one right at the bottom edge of the sump for oil.

Forgive me if you already know this,but I have come across this mistake being made before.

If you have removed the sump drain plug,then do as Bob K suggests! Its probably crud or sealant blocking the hole!

Hi all,

I've got the engine drain plug out but no oil is coming out. Not even a drop. Took filler cap off too, no change. Dipstick still showing topped up to the top.

Any ideas or TR quirks I should know about please?

Thanks!

Eli

I would drop the oil pan and see what is going on.. If too much non setting gasket sealant has been used in the past to fit the oil pan gasket for example, it oozes out and sits in the sump like chewing gum. That could easily block the drain hole but I would expect to see something come out initially. Another thought is that a magnetic drain plug might attract a lot of ferrous crud and that might block the hole if there was a lot of it and it gathered into a mass. In any case you need to know what is preventing the oil from exiting and even if you manage to drain it by poking something in the hole (which would make removing the oil pan easier and may yield some further clues) you should probably investigate further. Good time to also check the crank end float and the thrust washers.

Stan

Thanks guys for the replies

I had the wrong plug, doh! New oil in, new (spin on) filter on and hey presto! I've just spent a couple of hours ragging the cr*p out of the TR on French country roads. It's been a good day!

We parked in Le Touquet by the beach next to a beautiful blue TR6 (owned by a fellor Register member) and a green spitfire. I'll put some photos up shortly. Always nice to make chance encounters like this!

Happy Sunday!

Eli

Hi Eli.

Glad to hear youve sorted it!

Would of loved to give my 6 a blast today, but the weathers been **** :(

Am off this week,so if the weather gets better,I am off for a blast in Wales to pick up a TR6 grille and enamel badge ive just bought.

So if there are any members around Abergavenny,I may pop in to say hello?

Cheers Dave

Thanks guys for the replies

I had the wrong plug, doh! New oil in, new (spin on) filter on and hey presto! I've just spent a couple of hours ragging the cr*p out of the TR on French country roads. It's been a good day!

We parked in Le Touquet by the beach next to a beautiful blue TR6 (owned by a fellor Register member) and a green spitfire. I'll put some photos up shortly. Always nice to make chance encounters like this!

Happy Sunday!

Eli

Eli, glad you got it sorted out and good job Dave !

Stan

Sound like there may be some sicky muck present in the bottom of the sump which is blocking the drain hole.

Try the following - Refit the drain plug and then run the engine up to operating temperature. Then turn off the engine and leave for 10 minutes. Now remove the drain plug and try poking a small screwdriver into the drain hole. But keep well clear, plus cover your hand and arm as you could get covered with hot oil. Be carefull.

Sound like there may be some sicky muck present in the bottom of the sump which is blocking the drain hole.

Try the following - Refit the drain plug and then run the engine up to operating temperature. Then turn off the engine and leave for 10 minutes. Now remove the drain plug and try poking a small screwdriver into the drain hole. But keep well clear, plus cover your hand and arm as you could get covered with hot oil. Be carefull.

:unsure: UM??!! ER!! :blink:

Glad to hear you've sorted it, but I'm confused (well - I don't have a six-cylinder engine) as to what plug you actually removed, and why nothing (oil or water) came out.

The six cylinder motor has a big brass water drain plug on the side of the block, just above the starter motor. They often get blocked with crud and after removing them you get nada. I dont quite understand why it is at that location as clearly you wont drain the block by removing it. Perhaps it is there so that you can partialy drain the block in order to remove the head.

If you zoom this picture you can just see the brass plug shining at the rear of the block, just above the solenoid.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/fos.../DSC_0004-1.jpg

I imagine you could replace the brass plug with a valve/tap if you wanted to. I think the 4 cyl cars may have had them.

Stan

Thanks for the explanation and photo Stan.

That is indeed equivalent to the coolant drain tap on the 4-cylinder block - carefully positioned to drown the starter motor (once you've poked a bit of wire in to unblock the hole :( ). Oviously, in order to drain the coolant, you need both this and the radiator tap/plug open (and cap removed), but I can't understand why anyone would think you could drain the sump from there, but I guess we all have our moments (me more than most) :blink:.

Edited by BrianC
The six cylinder motor has a big brass water drain plug on the side of the block, just above the starter motor. They often get blocked with crud and after removing them you get nada. I dont quite understand why it is at that location as clearly you wont drain the block by removing it. Perhaps it is there so that you can partialy drain the block in order to remove the head.

If you zoom this picture you can just see the brass plug shining at the rear of the block, just above the solenoid.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/fos.../DSC_0004-1.jpg

I imagine you could replace the brass plug with a valve/tap if you wanted to. I think the 4 cyl cars may have had them.

Stan

Nice slippers Stan :P ....... That's interesting, my TR250 came with a brass tap that wouldn't seal, so I replaced it with a new one, It does make draining the coolant easier with a hose, but should it be a plug on the 250 too?

john

Nice slippers Stan :P ....... That's interesting, my TR250 came with a brass tap that wouldn't seal, so I replaced it with a new one, It does make draining the coolant easier with a hose, but should it be a plug on the 250 too?

john

Thanks John, I'm going to start selling TR Register branded workshop slippers. You should see my Lay-Z-Boy rolling garage recliner with magnetic parts tray and tool storage :-)

The Moss catalog only shows a plug for the 250 as they only have one section for the 250/6 motor but who knows, the TR 250/5 was a bit of a hybrid so maybe some/all had the TR2/4 drain tap or perhaps a PO got PO'd like the rest of us with soaking the starter in an attempt to drain the engine.

Re the comment about how could anyone think they could drain the oil out from that location, I have done equally daft things in my time including draining the power steering sytem on a Toyota when I thought I was draining the engine oil and wondering why the oil looked/smelled funny.

Stan

Re the comment about how could anyone think they could drain the oil out from that location, I have done equally daft things in my time including draining the power steering sytem on a Toyota when I thought I was draining the engine oil and wondering why the oil looked/smelled funny.

Having made that comment, I guess I had better own up to a similar faux pas whilst working as a fuel pump attendant in my summer holiday between school and further education :o .

Being the first and last filling station next to the ferry port in Dover, we got loads of foreign vehicles filling up with cheap British petrol (those were the days :) ). One day a lady pulled in with a Renault and asked me to fill it. Being an unfamiliar car, all I knew was that the engine was in the back but also assumed the fuel filler was there as well. Wrong!!!. I found a likely looking filler cap and removed it, stuck in the pump nozzle and found it only took a couple of pints. I informed the driver that this didn't seem right for a 'fill-up', but she never indicated that anything was amiss.

When I related this strange incident to the garage mechanics, they fell about laughing and informed me I had topped-up the cooling sytem with Esso Extra :mellow:.

I often wonder how far she got before either running out of fuel or vanishing in a puff of smoke and steam.

Stan, do these slippers have steel reinforced tips, :huh: might happen that you drop the engine on your feet :( and a nice clean garage you have, not comparable with mine

No steel toecaps and I do have to move fast if I drop my socket wrench. The garage is a mess, you cant see the floor in these images but the other bay of the garage is covered in carboard boxes with bits that have not yet made it back onto the engine or into the engine bay. One of my first jobs when the TR finally moves under its own steam is to kick everything out of the garage and see if I can clean up the floor with a pressure washer as my attempts to keep it clean using plastic sheet only worked up to a point.. The floor is concrete.

Stan