Phoenix Big Bore single box

Hi All,

Seems that my current exhaust, Phoenix twin pipes, has to come out as I need to replace the diff. I was wondering what are the advantages of the single big bore over the twin pipes as I am getting a little fed up with scraping the rear boxes along the floor.

1. Does the big bore box sit up higher than the twin boxes as it seems to me that the single pipe from the manifold will thread between the chassis and scuttle plate like the original system.

2. Is it louder

3. Any noticable improvement on performance.

4. If yes to all three , know of anybody who has a2nd hand one for sale ;)

With Thanks

Jeremy

Hi All,

Seems that my current exhaust, Phoenix twin pipes, has to come out as I need to replace the diff. I was wondering what are the advantages of the single big bore over the twin pipes as I am getting a little fed up with scraping the rear boxes along the floor.

1. Does the big bore box sit up higher than the twin boxes as it seems to me that the single pipe from the manifold will thread between the chassis and scuttle plate like the original system.

2. Is it louder

3. Any noticable improvement on performance.

4. If yes to all three , know of anybody who has a2nd hand one for sale ;)

With Thanks

Jeremy

I have the phoenix twin box system on my 6. I had the diff replaced last year and the system didnt have to be removed.

Having said that i have the same problem as you in that i scrape my drive with the exhaust when i leave my HA.

I have now bought the new design phoenix big bore cross box which looks like the original system but with a bigger bore.

having this fitted on monday.....let you know what its like.

(bought direct from phoenix saved a fortune)

Jeremy

I had a twin box system and frequently grounded it. I now have the latest Pheonix 6/3/1 single bore and although it is higher I have still managed to ground it (just).

The sound though can only be described as "awesome".

Tony

(bought direct from phoenix saved a fortune)

Have you got a website or number for Phoenix? When I Googled it I got Quiller Triumph!

Hi Chris,

Google - Phoenix performance exhausts

Roger

I have the single big bore and yes the box does just as good a job scraping the ground exiting the drive and of course the speed bumps tke even more work and still grounds the exhaust box so guess its about the same

I was looking at replacing my original exhaust to a twin box system but judging by comments on the forum and being surrounded by speed bumps I am now having second thoughts.

Can anyone tell me if the Revington twin system is the best option as it apparently fits slightly higher at the rear.

Hi Folks

You guys may or may not know that Phoenix now do a conventional transverse box (as per original design) with a large twin bore outlet and a single BIG bore inlet, I have one fitted to my 5 and I think its good , Not so the phoenix pulse manifold which though its all you can get in the pulse design, has unequal primaries and is highly resonant at 2500 rpm. However an equal length primary pulse design does not exist for under 1K unless you know diffently

Cheers

Hi Chris,

Google - Phoenix performance exhausts

Roger

Thanks Roger. I assumed that they would have a website. I guess I'll just have to 'phone them!!!

I have fitted several and none have ever grounded.

When fitting you need to tuck the box high into the space under the boot floor and only use a single hanger to locate the system.

The method is to source a length of flexible strap hanger and fit extra bracket through and between the boot floor and the phoenix supplied slip on bracket so that the tail pipe just clears the rear valence. This means drilling a hole through the boot floor to mount the bracket.

Then all you do is rotate the centre pipe to lift the rear of the box towards the underside of the car to a point where the centre pipe will not vibrate on the top of the chassis.

When its all clamped up there should be no possibility of grounding.

A single big bore is quieter than a twin. It is gives a more bass note on tickover.

Edited by Red 6
I have the single big bore and yes the box does just as good a job scraping the ground exiting the drive and of course the speed bumps tke even more work and still grounds the exhaust box so guess its about the same

IMHO opinion the Revington sytem is far superior having had one fitted to my 6 for over 12 years. It fits higher and further forward resulting in far less grounding as is evidenced by the relative lack of scoring in over 60k miles.

Have just fitted the new phoenix big bore transverse system to replace the twin box system which was on my 6.

sounds superb (appears quieter than the twin) and fitted very well with only a couple of monor mods needed.

sits up well above the ground even though i have a slightly lowered 6.

first impressions are good. well worth changing.

If you really want to stop the scrapes then move the silencer forward of the cross tube, fit a longer tail pipe and take a 'bite' out of the rear valance so that you can angle the tail pipe upwards slightly. The only part of my system that ever scrapes is the bottom tube of the manifold which is about 1" below the chassis at the lowest point.

CP62 :)

The Phoenix single pipe sounds cheap and tinny IMHO. If I were to be going through this evolution again I would take the car to a custom exhaust shop and get one made out of SS but a considerably higher wall-thickness than the Phoenix. No "minor mods" required when it fitting either...

The Phoenix single pipe sounds cheap and tinny IMHO. If I were to be going through this evolution again I would take the car to a custom exhaust shop and get one made out of SS but a considerably higher wall-thickness than the Phoenix. No "minor mods" required when it fitting either...
Phoenix Single pipe is a Damn Good exhaust and all SS (the twin box or transverse systen sound flat and dull (boring) - you should here one at 7500revs. Yes a one off is the utimate (what I am doing in at the end of the month), but it is a Grand to do it properly;)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1756653537869383870

I have the SS version of the Phoenix and it is the least tinny thing I have ever heard! It emits a very bassy grumble at idle and wails like a banshee at high revs - love it! :P

Michael.