My rebuilt engine and gearbox

Guest Wyn

Just read this Wyn , you seem to be getting treated dreadfully . Do take heart though , you will get it sorted and then you will enjoy your car to the full . I also felt like taking a match to my 6 on more than one occasion at the end of its restoration but got there in the end . I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing the car at Malvern.

Thanks Bob for your support and kind words. To make it clear, I'm not happy with the figures following my visit to the rolling road. This may, or may not be down to the supplier who built the engine, he had dyno figures of 165bhp at the flywheel with a CR of 9.5 : 1, this was subsequently increased to 10.5 : 1 and the fully mapped electronic ignition fitted. I was told verbally at the time that I should then expect approx 200bhp at the flywheel. Of course, I can only have figures at the wheels now. I do not believe he would quote figures he would not expect to acheive, and as stated before, he can build a very good engine if he wants to, I'm mystified. My unhappiness with the supplier is directed more at the service and way in which I was treated. The only other answer would be the incorrect jetting of the webers but I bow to the Rolling Road owners experience here. Having said that, information that I have sourced off the Internet suggest that I should have far larger Idle jets and also different main jets, but who am I to question his opinion, I know nothing about them to be honest. If anyone knows someone who I could phone to discuss this with, someone with a good working knowledge of weber carbs on these cars, please let me know. My priority now is to get the dreaded clutch working properly, run the car for a couple of thousand miles and then maybe have another Rolling Road session. Alec, I may contact you in due course following advice you kindly gave me relating to this in the past.

Wyn

Holy cow. Wyn, that is quite a story and I hope the vendors involved do the right thing.

Re the Weber config, what do you have, 3 x DCOE 40's ?. I am in the process of rebuilding my TR6 engine, 9.5:1 CR, zero decked, Goodparts GP2 cam which is not that far off from the PI cam, 1.55:1 Goodparts roller rockers, goal of getting back to 150 hp. I called Mike Pierce at Pierce Manifolds to get a baseline config for the Webers. He does this in his head based on your engine and goals but this is what he recommend for my setup, I started with a Weber DCOE 40 151 kit, canon manifold:

Chokes 30

Mains 125

Emulsion F11

Air corrector 180

Idle Jets 55F9

Accelerator pump jet 50

From what I have read the idle circuit is doing all the work up to 3000 rpm after which the mains take over. Tom F knows more about this than I ever will and has been a tremendous help to me as I planned my project so I'm just providing this data as a reference point.

What a depressing story.

Stan

[edited to fix formatting issues]

Edited by foster461
Thanks Stan for that information. I will buy a book and learn a bit more about Webers I think.

Wyn

Hi Wyn, certainly recommend getting a Weber manual and there is also quite a bit of info available online. I grabbed some of it while I was doing my own research and I'll be happay to zip that up and email it if you would like to PM me with an email address.

Stan

Hello Wyn,

regarding the clutch, I take it that it is a concentric slave cylinder mounted directly on the gearbox input shaft sleeve.

That makes it simpler as there are less linkage problems to contend with. I would guess that with the amount spent you don't have that horrible plastic pipe between the master and slave, as these can cause clutch problems particularly as it heats up?

To me this leaves either an excess of clearance between the slave and the clutch or too large a capacity slave cylinder? If it is the latter, then the easier solution is to fit a larger bore master cylinder. One other thought, does the clutch pedal go fully to the floor or does it seem to come to a stop before that?

Alec

wyn

was looking forward to teh results but very sad to here the outcome

i have been working so have not been on teh forum for a few months

one of the guys suggested a independent tuning people

i bought the Kas Kastner books and read them did a plan of what i want to do and emailed Kas

he said it should give around 175BHP at the flywheel

i will post the results when i get them

keep your chin up look forward to seeing the car ar Malvern

regards

david

Clutch better now (see my posting under separate heading). Had another Rolling Road session today, three hour drive home and feeling much happier (owner in Cheltenham came highly recommended). Engine is still quite tight but not as tight as it was this morning that's for sure. Cam is probably a little 'hot' for my driving style but that's my fault and no one else's, give it some revs and the power does kick in (I'll just have to remind myself when I'm driving my 2.0 GT TDI Golf which dies at 4000rpm, but flies up to that, and my beloved '5' which kicks in at the same RPM)). This Rolling Road calculates wheel BHP and Flywheel BHP and the flywheel BHP is a little over 170 bhp. On a new engine, that will do me now thanks. I would again say that I do not dispute the engine builder's ability to build an exellent engine, he has a good reputation, which is why I went to him, it's the attitude to customers (i.e. me!) that I got tired of.

Just to add, got home, hail stones and rain, left the car to idle in the drive while I ran into the house to fetch something. It sounded so nice, I could have taken a deck chair out (sod the weather), sat down and listened to it purring for a while. Is it just me that's a little weird, or is it all of us??

Regards

Wyn

I could have taken a deck chair out (sod the weather), sat down and listened to it purring for a while. Is it just me that's a little weird, or is it all of us??

Regards

Wyn

No ........it's just you Wyn. :P

john

No ........it's just you Wyn. :P

john

Agreed, its just you Wyn. I for one would never go searching YouTube in the winter for TR6 video's just so I can hear the sound of that engine or looking for highway underpasses in the summer so I can bring the rpm up to around 3000 and listen to it resonate off the concrete walls..

I for one would never go looking for highway underpasses in the summer so I can bring the rpm up to around 3000 and listen to it resonate off the concrete walls..

You wouldn't :blink: ? You don't know what you're missing :rolleyes: I've got a covered bridge near me which provides the sublime aural experience with these...

Edited by Tom Fremont

:rolleyes: Good news Wyn, you deserved a good drink I am sure that time will tell i.e. Old engines and gearboxes by manufacture needed to be run in. I am sure your beast of an engine having covered a couple of thousand miles and rolling road tuned again you will have a perma-grin! And great to hear you got the clutch sorted.

The above also applies to the gearbox.

Regards,

Neil