windcreeen wiper switch

my windscreen washer switch fell apart on my TR5 and i know that the two speeed wiper switch is also ropey(clear hooters type)

does anyone have or has any one fitted another type of either switch that does not look too out of place and does not require cutting the dash about if so from where would you recomend?

also i still have not managed to get my wipers too park dispite some instruction on the forum it does not seam to apply to my wiring or i just need extra join the dots instruction!

After deliberating at length I finally went for the Lucas switch which requires removal of the adaptor plate and grinding away some of the metal dash behind ( hence dash removal, at least partially ). Refitting the original type can be done in future by refitting the adapter plate.

The Lucas switch will not provide the low-speed function on the original wiper motor; this requires connecting all (3) leads to each other.

In my case, all gauges and vent bezels were chromed so the chrome-edged Lucas switches were complementary.

*** There are 4+ hours left on the NOS switch from SIRMATT on ebay as of this posting ***

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=016

It's easy enough to remove the chrome finish from the Lucas switch using a cutting compound if you want to get nearer to original appearance. It's best to dismantle the switch first to avoid erasing the painted wiper graphic on the front of the switch, it's easily prised apart. The Lucas item parks at the same angle as the Clear Hooters original.

If the washer switch has to be relaced with the Lucas item it parks at the same angle as the washer so doesn't look totally original.

Blimey that switch on EBay made £151.55 plus postage.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
Blimey that switch on EBay made £151.55 plus postage.

Stuart.

looks like we had better be careful where we park with the top down......! or maybe I'll do a conversion and flog mine off.......offers invited C.£125.00..... :blink:

john

Absolutely bloody barmy . . .

it's only a blessed rocker switch. For a tenner tops you could make a perfectly functional and reasonable substitute.

Cheers,

Alec

It seems sure the Lucas switch can't be wired to operate both speeds of the TR5/250 wiper motor. It would be nice to have something worked out which would do the trick; I've thought about a second switch discreetly mounted to work in conjunction with the Lucas one...as it stands it's the sole item in my newly wired car which doesn't work exactly as it should <_<

It seems sure the Lucas switch can't be wired to operate both speeds of the TR5/250 wiper motor. It would be nice to have something worked out which would do the trick; I've thought about a second switch discreetly mounted to work in conjunction with the Lucas one...as it stands it's the sole item in my newly wired car which doesn't work exactly as it should <_<

What part No. is the Lucas switch referred to? is it a single pole changeover or something else.

What is required to get the two speed operation... connect all together?

The required functions could no doubt be realised with a simple logic 'circuit ' black box' tucked away behind the switch...

what is the likely demand and is it worth pursuing?

can I help with producing something? (electronics eng.)

john

John,

The available Lucas switch which looks the same as the original ( if you polish off the chrome on the flange ) is part no. 158453. I don't know its circuit logic. The original wiper motor will run at full speed with the high speed lead connected to ground, and low speed when BOTH high and low speed leads are connected to ground, i.e. all (3) connected. It is a no-no to connect the low speed lead only to ground as this will fry the winding in the motor.

I'd love to get a discreet little black box which would interface with the above Lucas switch to give the low speed in the other position :rolleyes:

Hi folks,

Sorry to disagree but it is possible to use a four position TR6 wiper switch in a 3 wire environment on the TR5/250. I've done it on my 5. Unfortunately I do not know the number of the TR6 switch but it has WIPE written vertically on the front. Either it came with a black bezel or I re-used the Clear Hooters one, can't remember.

OK, so how did I wire it? As I don't have a scanner I cannot draw a diagram and share it with you, but basically I used a two pole make/break relay. The fast speed goes through the switch as normal and the slow speed goes through the relay.

If I remember correctly, the four connections on the TR6 switch are helpfully numbered 1-4 and 1&2 are connected when one speed is needed and 3&4 when the other is.

I hope this is enough info for one of you electrical bods to work it out, but in the meantime I will try and see if I can draw a diagram in, say, Word.

regards

Ray

Edited by raydrink
Sorry to disagree but it is possible to use a four position TR6 wiper switch in a 3 wire environment on the TR5/250. I've done it on my 5. Unfortunately I do not know the number of the TR6 switch but it has WIPE written vertically on the front. Either it came with a black bezel or I re-used the Clear Hooters one, can't remember.

Most TR6 4 bladed switches have the same graphic logo as the TR5 item. If you use one of these (and can get it to work) the original appearance of the TR5 dash can be preserved. If I've got this right, the WIPE & WASH text was only used on NAS 1972 model year cars.

this should work IF the lucas switch is wired like this internally (3 seperate single pole switches) if not, then circuit can be modified with a single pole 12Volt relay...

John

I've now done a pretty crude diagram, in Word, complete with notes which should allow you to make the TR6 switch work in a TR5/250 environment, by copying my working example - not necessarily the only solution, but I've trialled it for 12 months now and the UK has been seriously wet this year!

If anyone wants a copy please let me know and I will send.

regards

Ray

Most TR6 4 bladed switches have the same graphic logo as the TR5 item. If you use one of these (and can get it to work) the original appearance of the TR5 dash can be preserved. If I've got this right, the WIPE & WASH text was only used on NAS 1972 model year cars.

Hi Mark,

I'm sure you're right. Quite by chance I had the relay in a box of spares and the switch was supplied by a friend when I came to do this modification. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions possible but this was cheap and quick.

Ray

• 1 year later...

On the original TR5 switch, are you sure the "slow speed" position connects all three wires (black-brown-red) and the "fast speed" position connects black and brown only?

In Dan Masters' Triumph TR250-TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook , he puts it the other way (slow = black to brown only, fast = black to brown and red)

Which is right?

Edited by Brett
I've now done a pretty crude diagram, in Word, complete with notes which should allow you to make the TR6 switch work in a TR5/250 environment, by copying my working example - not necessarily the only solution, but I've trialled it for 12 months now and the UK has been seriously wet this year!

If anyone wants a copy please let me know and I will send.

regards

Ray

Hi Ray,

yes please, send to tony@qeito.co.uk

TT

Ray, I just wanted to make a public BIG THANK YOU for your diagram and explanations you sent me by PM!

I will use your precious advice to make the right connections, by the way I will at the same time include a Smartscreen box to add an intermittent wiper function.

Edited by Brett