air flow to the radiator

hi guys

I have bought a lovely stainless steel cover for the boxing in to the radiator that is normally made of cardboard, my question, in the top of the cover there is a cut out the letters and number TR6 looks good. When the car is travelling at a rate of nots some of the air will go up through the cut out and not through the radiator is this a problem ? I am thinking of sticking some plastic underneath the cut out to stop the air passing through any opinion thankfully received

pinky

hi guys

I have bought a lovely stainless steel cover for the boxing in to the radiator that is normally made of cardboard, my question, in the top of the cover there is a cut out the letters and number TR6 looks good. When the car is travelling at a rate of nots some of the air will go up through the cut out and not through the radiator is this a problem ? I am thinking of sticking some plastic underneath the cut out to stop the air passing through any opinion thankfully received

pinky

Hi Pinky,

I would think the loss of air would not be worth worrying about, especially if your cardboard one was as good as mine.

If i was in your position i would cut a piece of ally spray in black or even red and stick it underneath.

Reckon it would look very smart.

Guy

hi guys

pinky

Nothing to worry about. There is more than enough airflow over the fins and tubes to take away the heat when the car is moving. The key is getting the air to stay across the tubes long enough to take away as much heat as possible without the hot air staying in to get so hot that it raises the temperature. There are a number of radiator constructions, mostly gill on tube (most older radiators are this) and pack construction (newer design, more efficient but not as strong) g. o .t needs to be thicker to allow for more water flow and increased surface area of the fins. Pack has greater fins per inch (14 - 18) and the radiator is often slimmer. Also if you look at the fins very closely you will see they have little louvers cut in to them to make the air contact more of the surface. The most suitable radiator construction for your average classic is g.o.t construction with staggered rows made from seamless tube and fully dipped with F.P.I of around 10. This gives the best combination of cooling, durability and enough room for contaminants to pass through the fin gaps. As you may expect this is the more costly option. Most radiators are made to a price and so often compromise on durability or performance.

Sorry for the wordy answer. I got carried away.

Geoff

If the TR6 letters are actually cut out of the shroud, I too would cover from underneath with

some sort of material, but I might use body color to add a unique look.

If everyone with one of these took your advice they wouldn't be unique!!! :lol:

Pinky, the engine is probably gratefull for a little fresh breeze :) I would not worry about it. More to worry about, is fitting the registration plate in front of the lower airduct as it covers almost half of the radiator ;)

Pinky, the engine is probably gratefull for a little fresh breeze :) I would not worry about it. More to worry about, is fitting the registration plate in front of the lower airduct as it covers almost half of the radiator ;)

good point Jean were would you suggest I put the plate, no its not going up my a---- seriously though it is a good point

Dear All

I think my colleague and I are responsible for the stainless steel cowls with the various logos cut out from the top of the cowl.

We've attended the Stoneleigh show for the past two years and the Malvern weekend for the first time last year.

The loss of air transfer through the cut out logo is minimal - I run this version on my 6 without any over heating problems.

On the powder coated aluminium versions we adhere a stainless plaque to the under side of the cowl simply to highlight the logo.

Very pleased to say that in the show cars from the International, 4 out of 6 had our cowl fitted.

I'm conscious that cold, clean air is the best for the engine and we are currently developing a modification for the PI cars, removing the standard air filter and using a high performance filter, situated behind the grille. Hopefully sorted by July if we can manufacture the parts ok.

Hope I'm ok to say all this on the forum! Its only a bit of a hobby!

Regards

Richard

hi guys

pinky

I have had my stainless cover for a year without any issues, the temperature is well below the central mark on the gauge even when doing the legal limit !!!!

Hello

My stainless shroud also holds a large K&N filter from which the air is fed to the carbs via a 2'' tube and air box.

I would have thought that sucking great gobfulls of air from the 'airflow' would be much greater than the escaping air from the logo and I've had no over heating problems as such ... (If you excuse a very quick run down from Calais to Le Mans on a VERY hot day with a dicky fuel pump so the engine was very lean...)

I wouldn't worry - divert attention to UJs, drive shafts, diff carrier mounts, shocks and the other various ways the TR6 will attempt to empty your bank account...

Geoff

I have a couple of Richards cows, both black coated the one on the 4 did have the logo blanked underneath, but when I flexed it to fit it-the logo cover popped off!

This looke dfine I thought, and has caused no troubles at all.

Richard, if you're reading this, can I buy another one off you for the buggered 6? Stainless I suppose, as the car is so shiny.

Another matter, those of us with carbed sixes have probably noticed how much better they go in cold weather, Racetorations market a fibreglass duct fitting to cut into their cowl, how about an add on, or even integrated air duct about 6 inches diameter in the os of the cowl?

I for one would love to have extra cool air blowing onto my Webbers.

Rob Geeves.

RCT124inst.jpg

RCT124_5AFA.jpg

Edited by robgeev

Racetorations market a fibreglass duct fitting to cut into their cowl, how about an add on, or even integrated air duct about 6 inches diameter in the os of the cowl?

I for one would love to have extra cool air blowing onto my Webbers.

Count me in, I've been thinking of getting the Racetoration system for a while, at present I have a 4in pipe feeding air in under the cowl to the webbers not ideal but better than nothing.

Cameron.

The problem is that this kind of ducts only work when the car is travelling at speed, no effect when the car is stopped. On the original configuration air is sucked in by the engine, but this requires a closed inlet. Some time ago I was thinking about fitting a small 12v fan on the side of the radiator to blow some fresh air into the engine bay ;) For my 6 I have now constructed an large air intake that follows the curves of the grill and takes up the grill space between radiator and light unit.