TR2 wire wheels

I would like to put a set of painted wire wheels on my long door 2, instead of the 6" steels currently fitted. i would prefer something a bit wider than the standard 4",but less than 6".I would appreciate any advice before starting the hunt. Thanks

Keith

My 3a is fitted with 70 spoke 5.5" J tubeless rims and 165 x 15 x 80 tyres - totally non purist but works for me.

I do have an illegal 155 spare on a 60 spoke rim but I also have a can of tyre sealant in the boot. Fingers crossed neither are ever needed.

I suspect my spare wouldn't fit in a TR2.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

60 spoke 4.5" wheels will be fine and will look pretty standard. 72 spoke 5.5" wheels are usefully stronger, a bit heavier, look a bit more purposeful and will only be noticed by the sharp eyed enthusiasts. 165 tyres are the biggest you will need on either before the disadvantages start kicking in.

Second hand wires are usually a false economy :rolleyes:

Ive got 60 spokes on my TR3 and 72 spokes on my TR4 although they have been swopped around on occasion. :D

I do have an illegal 155 spare on a 60 spoke rim but I also have a can of tyre sealant in the boot. Fingers crossed neither are ever needed.

Ian (and a question to all) I'm running 5.5j rims with 185/175 tyres. I also have a 4.0j steel with a 1.45 as a spare (gives more beer space in the boot) I have also painted it yellow and black as per major manufactures space saver wheels (when they had the decency to supply/fit them)

As far as I am concerned I am doing nothing illegal due to to major manufactures doing the same for about the last 10-15 years.

I'm fully aware that we were all taught that you should never run with different dia or widths of tyres in the past but I can confirm that I owned two Vauxhall Omega estates and they both had a 15" steel wheel fitted with a 185 tyre whilst the cars were shod with 16" & 17" alloys ranging from 215 235 tyres........I did look into this and found that the spare wheel well was the same pressing as the Carlton which ran 15" as standard and they never changed it!

165/80-15 on 4.5 in / 60 spoke road wheels here, with 155/80-15 on 4 in / 48 spoke spare.

No issues with fitting in the well or compliance as far as I know.