Late TR4-6 Top Ball Joints

Always purchase safety-critical items, such as this, from suppliers one knows and trusts.

Like James Christie, this is what I have been doing for years, and it saves a lot of grief.

When one is driving a car worth thousands of £, why stint on maintenance?

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian

I don't think stinting on maintenance is the issue here, certainly I have no problem paying a few pounds more for quality goods made to the right spec. The issue here for me is knowing who and what you are buying from. We all know who the suppliers to be careful of and check before you buy. I've always had Quinton Hazel down as an aftermarket supplier towards the top of the good list in terms of parts both correct in Quality & spec.

It maybe these TBJ are of top quality, but spec....... and that's the conundrum, why go 90% of the way in terms of spec, and then change something as simple as the thread size?

In the meantime I'll take your advice and check out James Christie.

Cheers

Ian

Ian (meesonia) - to save you digging out posts from James, I'll tell you that both James and I purchase from an outfit in Middlezoy, Somerset!

Ian Cornish

James joined the TRR early on (member #981), was a member of the Committee and a member of the Chiltern Group - until he upped sticks and moved, with family and TR, to France some 35 years ago. Lives on the Gulf of Morbihan. We saw him at Malvern this year. He posts on the Forum from time to time, but I can't recall his user name.

Ian Cornish

Hi Folks,

I think there is a confusion going on.

James is a forum member. He and Ian use a particular supplier -Revington.

Neil Revington supplies some very good stuff and tries to source OE problematic items

Roger

James Christie here, aged guy with grey hair, slightly overweight, speaks with a funny accent. I think you are all Thursday you better go and have one down the pub.

Like everybody I am all too aware of the varying quality of parts, their prices and the lack of knowledge of our cars that identifies what I will call politely the telephone salesmen of the bigger retail parts outlets. Living some distance away from these complicates matters a little more.

Long ago I gave up buying from their likes and have built up a good relationship with Neil Revington and his employees. Their knowledge is second to none, they may be a little more expensive than others but they don't overcharge. When you get get your order you know it's going to fit. And Most of the Revington lads run TRs of one type or another.

James

Hi Andrew,

here is a relevant joke for you that I made up three or so years ago

Man arrives at a venue and apologises for his late arrival -

First man - Sorry I'm late but my car had a punctuation.

Second man - don't you mean a puncture

First man - No!. It came to a full stop.

Ho Ho Ho

Roger

Hi Folks,

I think there is a confusion going on.

James is a forum member. He and Ian use a particular supplier -Revington.

Neil Revington supplies some very good stuff and tries to source OE problematic items

Roger

Agreed Roger but still a pity we can only get some items that are made in China or Taiwan, even from Revington. I guess if that is all there is then we have to accept it. I do always try & buy important items from the likes of Revington on the basis that they race, rally & own these cars. They & say TR Enterprises are always helpful & ready with advice on these matters which is reassuring at least. Just a pity we cannot always get made in UK by a well known name!

Hi Andrew,

here is a relevant joke for you that I made up three or so years ago

Man arrives at a venue and apologises for his late arrival -

First man - Sorry I'm late but my car had a punctuation.

Second man - don't you mean a puncture

First man - No!. It came to a full stop.

Ho Ho Ho

Roger

:lol: