The engine component (and block ?) are rotating, not the "head", so how do they solve the problem caused by the "engine to head" joint ?

Edited by Chris59

Hi Chris,

I think there is an 'internal' block containing the pistons that sits inside an external block that has the head attached.

The internal block and external block would need to be sealed somehow (that's the clever bit) - haven't a clue.

Roger

A very clever development of the axial or swash plate pump as patented by Lucas Aerospace - Design as used for the engine driven constant pressure variable displacement HP fuel pump on the Rolls Royce Dart Turbo prop. c 1950's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_piston_pump

http://www.google.com/patents/US4999020

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/lucas-eyes-military-power-by-wire-applications-14379/

Cheers

Peter W

These swash plate Hydraulic pumps were used in many walks of life, in the crane industry they were used on Hoist motors at the "high" end, i.e. very expensive machines.

Known as piston motors they were very efficient, much more so than vane or gear pumps, but were also very very expensive to manufacture. Nice idea though.............................

This design has been floating around for quite a few years but as stated very expensive to produce and I believe in combustion engine form there is an inherent weakness somewhere that they have yet to solve hence why there arent any more than prototypes running around.

Stuart.

Swash plate motors are common in hydraulic "hydrostatic" motor mowers, because the transmission is just a pair of hoses, and no need for a gearbox.

But for alternative ICE designs, the Wankel/Mazda rotor was much simpler. It went out of production because in that iteration, it could not pass US emission standards. Mazda are said to be still working on the next stage.

John

Always interested in developments in IC engines, as always there are few totaly new ideas:

Good luck I say.

I like the following idea, a doouble expansion IC engine, I was wondering for a bit of fun as a project to try to make one from a 4 cylinder engine:

There is a company recently developing this with 3 cylinderss, just can't seem to find their site, any ideas?

Mke