Seats for the longer trips

• 7 months later...

On the subject of seats I have a 4A and temporairily fitted TR6 seats which are ok and are a direct fit but they need refurbishing so I am considering an alternative, I have had many MGBs and found the seats very comfy on long runs and they also recline and have headrests, personally I dont think the MX seats look attractive in a TR but understand from the comfort angle however HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY FITTED MGB SEATS IN A TR4A ? If so are they a good fit and do they still recline?

Thanks guys

Charles

On the subject of seats I have a 4A and temporairily fitted TR6 seats which are ok and are a direct fit but they need refurbishing so I am considering an alternative, I have had many MGBs and found the seats very comfy on long runs and they also recline and have headrests, personally I dont think the MX seats look attractive in a TR but understand from the comfort angle however HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY FITTED MGB SEATS IN A TR4A ? If so are they a good fit and do they still recline?

Thanks guys

Charles

I think you will find they are too wide.

Stuart.

... HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY FITTED MGB SEATS IN A TR4A ? If so are they a good fit and do they still recline?

Thanks guys

Charles

Yes, Ive just fitted leather recliner MGB seats to my 4A, and yes, they fit well and do still recline. I believe they are this type:

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=17663

Other MGB seats may be different. These need to be fitted close to the transmission tunnel otherwise the backrests foul the hood frame when the hood is lowered (probably not an issue with Surrey rear windows). Some creativity is required to provide satisfactory floor mounting points. Due to the thicker backrests, legroom is more limited when fully retracted, but at 59 ( I typed 5 ' 9 " without spaces) thats not a problem for me. If inertia reels are fitted, this may complicate things further, but I dont have them so not a problem for me. I would post a picture, but Ive already wasted an hour of my life trying to add a photo without success, so PM me if you want more details. And sorry for the missing apostrophes which I typed in, but don(')t appear in the post proper.

Have fun,

Graham

Yes, Ive just fitted leather recliner MGB seats to my 4A, and yes, they fit well and do still recline. I believe they are this type:

Other MGB seats may be different. These need to be fitted close to the transmission tunnel otherwise the backrests foul the hood frame when the hood is lowered (probably not an issue with Surrey rear windows). Some creativity is required to provide satisfactory floor mounting points. Due to the thicker backrests, legroom is more limited when fully retracted, but at 59 ( I typed 5 ' 9 " without spaces) thats not a problem for me. If inertia reels are fitted, this may complicate things further, but I dont have them so not a problem for me. I would post a picture, but Ive already wasted an hour of my life trying to add a photo without success, so PM me if you want more details. And sorry for the missing apostrophes which I typed in, but don(')t appear in the post proper.

Have fun,

Graham

Those arent actually original MGB seats, they are the Moss aftermarket ones which will fit a TR but I dont find them as comfortable as MX ones.

Stuart.

Have fun,

Graham

Those seats were, I think ex TVR style/fitment of the 1980's that happened to fit MGB. Could be having a senior moment though....

Peter W

I too am looking at different seats but will keep the originals as well. I fitted TR6 seats which are better in that they have headrests and recline, they also fit directly onto the existing runners with no alteration. Personally I don't find the MX seats attractive and was wondering if anyone has tried the Suffolk classic seats from Rimmers they are pricey but look very good in a TR?

Charles

Hi guys, sorry for the dupication but for some weird reason my post only appeared after I just posted my new one??

Anyway, thanks for the comments, I should say that I was considering circa 1970 MGB seats rather than the Moss type aftermarket ones and would like to know if they would fit. The TR6 seats are ok but not as good as the MGBs.

Thanks

Charles

For a long time I wanted Ridgards for the 4A but just could not get him to return calls or emails so I went elsewhere & bought a pair of Cobra Classics which have proved to be pretty good & obviously much cheaper. When I purchased a 4 earlier this year, it came with guess what, yes Ridgards in leather! As expected they have proved to be very comfortable but not 100% happy with the build quality for the price they must have cost but hope they will last well. I now have a good comparison. The Ridgards are marginally more comfortable but I think the Cobras will outlast me & are better value (& easier to buy!).

Cheers.

Just to add my $0.02...

I don't have a direct comparison on replacement seats (unlike Monty's very useful one above) but I can say that Revington's rally seats (in leather) are truly excellent for long distances.

I know that rally-style bucket seats can be a pain in the arse ('scuse the pun) to get in and out of, and I'm also aware that Ridgard are generally seen as being the gold standard; however, on my recent (very) long rally both myself and my navigator (female, different shape from me) found my Revington's seats to be unbelievably comfortable over long hours in the saddle. We were in the car for c. 500 miles a day for 8 days out of 9 which meant up to 10 hours a day in the seats (and never less than 8) with very few breaks. We had absolutely zero discomfort (at least from the seats - we will gloss over any discomfort from rallying "debate" while on the move...). Following the rally I immediately drove a further 4,000 miles over 7 days and still found the seats perfectly comfortable. I'm not sure there's a much better real-life test than this. My only caveat is that it's best to keep the back pockets of your jeans (or whatever) empty; but then doctors' advice seems to indicate that this probably goes for sitting on a bar stool too...

I stress, however, that these are bucket seats with relatively high sides - they are not for everyone.

One more note: Revington's say that these seats are made to their own design and, presumably, are exclusive to them; I have absolutely no reason to doubt that but I would note that they are made by Cobra - they came in a cobra box, with cobra stickers inside and I cannot say what, if any, differences there are from TR4-sized seats you might buy direct from Cobra.

Just to add my $0.02...I don't have a direct comparison on replacement seats (unlike Monty's very useful one above) but I can say that Revington's rally seats (in leather) are truly excellent for long distances.I know that rally-style bucket seats can be a pain in the arse ('scuse the pun) to get in and out of, and I'm also aware that Ridgard are generally seen as being the gold standard; however, on my recent (very) long rally both myself and my navigator (female, different shape from me) found my Revington's seats to be unbelievably comfortable over long hours in the saddle. We were in the car for c. 500 miles a day for 8 days out of 9 which meant up to 10 hours a day in the seats (and never less than 8) with very few breaks. We had absolutely zero discomfort (at least from the seats - we will gloss over any discomfort from rallying "debate" while on the move...). Following the rally I immediately drove a further 4,000 miles over 7 days and still found the seats perfectly comfortable. I'm not sure there's a much better real-life test than this. My only caveat is that it's best to keep the back pockets of your jeans (or whatever) empty; but then doctors' advice seems to indicate that this probably goes for sitting on a bar stool too...I stress, however, that these are bucket seats with relatively high sides - they are not for everyone.One more note: Revington's say that these seats are made to their own design and, presumably, are exclusive to them; I have absolutely no reason to doubt that but I would note that they are made by Cobra - they came in a cobra box, with cobra stickers inside and I cannot say what, if any, differences there are from TR4-sized seats you might buy direct from Cobra.

Just to add my $0.02...I don't have a direct comparison on replacement seats (unlike Monty's very useful one above) but I can say that Revington's rally seats (in leather) are truly excellent for long distances.I know that rally-style bucket seats can be a pain in the arse ('scuse the pun) to get in and out of, and I'm also aware that Ridgard are generally seen as being the gold standard; however, on my recent (very) long rally both myself and my navigator (female, different shape from me) found my Revington's seats to be unbelievably comfortable over long hours in the saddle. We were in the car for c. 500 miles a day for 8 days out of 9 which meant up to 10 hours a day in the seats (and never less than 8) with very few breaks. We had absolutely zero discomfort (at least from the seats - we will gloss over any discomfort from rallying "debate" while on the move...). Following the rally I immediately drove a further 4,000 miles over 7 days and still found the seats perfectly comfortable. I'm not sure there's a much better real-life test than this. My only caveat is that it's best to keep the back pockets of your jeans (or whatever) empty; but then doctors' advice seems to indicate that this probably goes for sitting on a bar stool too...I stress, however, that these are bucket seats with relatively high sides - they are not for everyone.One more note: Revington's say that these seats are made to their own design and, presumably, are exclusive to them; I have absolutely no reason to doubt that but I would note that they are made by Cobra - they came in a cobra box, with cobra stickers inside and I cannot say what, if any, differences there are from TR4-sized seats you might buy direct from Cobra.

Hi Tim,

I think they are the same, certainly look alike. I got mine from Merlin Motorsport @ Castle Coombe in Wiltshire. Very reasonably priced.

Cheers.

• 4 months later...

Thanks again for all the suggestions.After much deliberation I contacted Paul Bishop and we are going to opt for a pair of reconditioned MX5 Mk2 seats on Mk1 runners, which is what he suggested was needed. Not sure of time scales as I write but when I have them and they are fitted I'll post a quick update and pic if anybody interested.Steve

Hi Steve did you go ahead with the seats? Are they good? Do you have any pics? Thanks

Charles

Graze,if you look at the back of the Drivers MX5 seat from behind you will notice that it's shaped a bit like an Old Milk Bottle but on the Righthand Side of the Seat it's cut away more at Shoulder Height,this is what allows it to Recline and pass the B Post,if you PM me your Email I will take a few Photos and send them on to you if that Helps.

Niall

A year later I know but with apologies for the late reply, I obviously missed your offer last year - many thanks

Have sourced a good set of NC series MX5 seats and they do fit and re brilliant. I designed and had made the brackets to tilt the seat slightly to the centr of the car which misses the hood frame fixings. They even look good ( my opinion) with the individual roll hoops my 4 has

Anyway thanks again for the offer

Graze

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.

Having started this post over 18 months I have now covered a few thousand miles in the MX5 seats I fitted and I'm more than pleased to report that for me MX5 was the right decision. It's fair to say that I have not encountered a single problem and the seats have provided the comfort and support I was looking for, allowing that all important enjoyment of the TR on the longer trips!

Happy motoring

Steve.b

Edited by Steve.b