I'm a very happy Bunny

After a wait of just over 18 Months, last Friday morning I was reunited with THA610G. She's now much much nicer than when I handed her over to Racetorations all that time ago. The work they have done is to the highest standards and to say I'm pleased would be a massive understatement.

513942720_4fbe51ad85_o.jpg

475421465_6c90f9dc98_o.jpg

Even the weather has smiled on me this last week. The words WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO spring to mind, oodles and oodles of torque...Then at 4000 the beast starts to peep through :D Will have to wait and get a few more miles on to see what she will really do. Purely in the interests of science, I'm sure you'll understand :rolleyes:

Iain.

After a wait of just over 18 Months, last Friday morning I was reunited with THA610G. She's now much much nicer than when I handed her over to Racetorations all that time ago. The work they have done is to the highest standards and to say I'm pleased would be a massive understatement.

<snip>

Even the weather has smiled on me this last week. The words WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO spring to mind, oodles and oodles of torque...Then at 4000 the beast starts to peep through :D Will have to wait and get a few more miles on to see what she will really do. Purely in the interests of science, I'm sure you'll understand :rolleyes:

Iain.

Nice job Iain !. I wonder if you can share the details of what was done to that engine (rods, pistons, block, head, cam etc) and if you have measured torque and HP ?.

Stan

OK guys, you asked for it, this going top be rather a long post but here's a summary of what was done. As you'll see from the list there's not actually a lot left from 1969 :P

Engine.

Triple Weber, fully mapped Omex ignition. Steel rods, forged 77.5mm pistons. 16

row oil cooler and thermostat. St./steel ceramic coated manifold and

supersports system, Alloy sump. Lightened flywheel. Tuftrided crank. Fully modified

unleaded cylinderhead. Block strengthening kit.

Gearbox and Overdrive.

Stag roller thrust conversion and lay bearing improvements. Uprated 28%

reduction A Type. Both units fully rebuilt. Co-axial release kit.

Drivetrain.

Competition driveshafts. Balanced propshaft. Uprated rear hubs. Salisbury Limited

slip differential. Rebuilt differential. Roller bearing trailing arms.

Uprated coil springs. Rose jointed anti roll bars front and rear. Posiblox.

Quick rack. Uprated poly ,nylon and s/steel suspension bushes. Aeroquip

hoses. All fuel and brake piping replaced. Rose jointed top arms. Alloy

front hubs with new bearings and studs.

Chassis.

New upgraded and strengthened chassis c/w tow eyes. Full roll cage fitted.

5 point full harnesses fitted to chassis/cage.

Body.

Repair bodyshell throughout. Fit new floors and sills. Convert for wing

louvers. Make louvers in both front wings . Fit repaired body to new

chassis and realign panel and door fit. Seal, stonechip, undercoat and

paint as required. Fit alloy firewall between driver compt. and boot. Fit

long range alloy foam filled fueltank. Fit aerostyle fuel filler. Fill all

bumper holes in body.Fit new n/s rear wing.

Electrical.

Change loom to accommodate various improvements. Fit electrical cut outs..

Fit increased capacity fuse box. Fit relays for driving lights. Fit new

alarm and immobiliser kits. Move radio to H

section. Fit electronic tacho into existing tacho.

Interior and various.

Fit lighting bar between dumb irons. Fit f'glass covered door panels. Fit

new sub frames and Ridgard sports leather seats. Upgrade door locks.Fit

new leather steering wheel. Repair leaking screen and pedal bushes. Fit

f'glass rad cowl. Fit new Afin rear drums. Fit duck material hood.Fit door

tops without finger top channels. Fit pull handles.Fit fireproof and

waterproof underlay.Fit new crash pads.

All finished off with real magnesium Minilites with 205-60-15 Dunlop D84 type R

So that's the spec, here's the figures from the engine bed in and set up runs on the dyno

BTW the head made 90CFM at full lift on the flow bench:

517910745_79a2fbd6fe.jpg

I'm guessing this translates to approx 175BHP at the rear wheels. I should find out next week as the car will be going on the rolling road after fitting K&N's for rejetting to suit.

Here's the rear end view requested:

517910865_2f0f6d2747.jpg

Interior:

517929731_86f6dcc175.jpg

All fuses, relays plus the Omex unit now live here:

517929743_a507117cbc.jpg

No more bob weights,springs, points or condenser, now just a spark delivery system:

517929791_28de179dda.jpg

Throttle position, Temperature and crank pick up sensors for ignition system:

518000576_fa81a729a0.jpg

Finally here a picture taken while the car was being roadtested along with the Racetorations Talisman for Octane magazine. I'm told the article will appear in the July issue.

463113838_1cf6b57283_o.jpg

My initial driving impressions are that there isn't quite the kick in the pants I was expecting from a 70 odd BHP increase ( I'm sure no one here still believes in the 150BHP fairy) but thats more than compensated for by the sheer amount of torque. As I'm sure all 6 cyl drivers will agree it's the effortless torque that's a huge part of the appeal of these engines. However once you get the revs above 4000 you really do notice the extra power as it comes on the cam. Of course as it's effectively a brand new car again everything is is lovely and taut, no rattles and bumps. Turn in is really precise and the whole car feels really planted. The suspension is a good compromise between comfort and handling. I really like my new overdrive arrangement with the switch on the gearlever and it disengageing when you change gear, a great improvement. In fact the whole setup of the car really highlights the care and attention that Racetorations have put into the build of the car. Which includes all the bits you cant see as well.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned wallet damage...well I wouldn't want to pay for another one anytime soon, but, I certainly feel that I have got good value for money and have received exactly what I asked Darryl to build for me. Which is my idea of what I wanted a TR6 to be. I'm now looking forward to many happy years of fun to come.

Iain.

• 10 years later...