Following on from Bob’s excellent recent initiative to fabricate some rear axle pullers it occurs to me that it might be worth the Register holding a list of which members have special tools available for loan and where they are located. I’m quite happy to lend the ones I have, namely a gearbox crane and a pinion depth setting tool for rear axles - both in Frome, Somerset  

Anyone else? And who would pick up something like this on behalf of the Register if there were enough people interested?

Rgds Ian

PS and following Roger’s post, I have a four pot cam bearing puller and a front spring compressor, both homemade, plus a liner puller, also homemade. 

You use the spring compressor at your risk because although I have used it successfully several times, there’s a lot of energy in a compressed spring. 

Edited by Ian Vincent

Hi Ian

Chris Marx rear seal mandrel

TR4/4a Cam bearing puller

Mig/Tig and Arc welder

18" high ramps for any TR (quite frightening thou'

Numerous   Taps/Dies

Assorted metal stock

Spanners & Sockets

Roger

Hi all, 

Firstly credit to Ian, for airing this topic.

On the face of it a very good idea, and if it could be combined with TR Transport, 

a real boon to fellow TR'ers.

That said, I'll ask for  a discussion with fellow mods, not I think its a moderator issue, 

as well as MT to see any potential shortfalls.

John.

Rather than advertising the sometimes well stocked contents of our workshops/garages in this light fingered age, what's wrong with posting a request for a six-tined sprocket aligner, and being willing to provide suitable personal details, including TRR membership, as security if borrowed?

I'm very happy to lend on such a basis, but reluctant to advertise, having had burglars in my garage a while ago.

John

Hi JD

that is a better idea but members may be reluctant to ask out loud.

How about having a separate forum title within the General topic area  ' Tool(s) Required - Help! '

Did you want to borrow my six Tine'd sprocket aligner

Roger

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Rather than advertising the sometimes well stocked contents of our workshops/garages in this light fingered age, what's wrong with posting a request for a six-tined sprocket aligner, and being willing to provide suitable personal details, including TRR membership, as security if borrowed?

I'm very happy to lend on such a basis, but reluctant to advertise, having had burglars in my garage a while ago.

John

Exactly the kind of issue that would need to be discussed?

John.

Within Cambfollowers we have a tool loan scheme, we have one person who is the coordinator and he has the list of who has what that is available and who has it. Then should you need a tool you contact the coordinator and he puts you in contact and keeps a record of what is out on loan and to who.

It works quite well, and on the odd occasion when I have mislaid somthing and have an idea I might have loaned it out but can't remember who to the coordinator has the list.

George 

Hi George.

I think that your scheme is probably the best within a local group, and am going to suggest it to my group the Red Rose.

Dave.

34 minutes ago, dave bailey said:

Hi George.

I think that your scheme is probably the best within a local group, and am going to suggest it to my group the Red Rose.

Dave.

Our scheme has been running for a few years now and it works OK, but as you say it works best on a local level, after all there is no point in travelling the length of the country to borrow the sort of tools that are required for a TR

I think its this sort of benefit that should come as standard with Register membership,  I can't see why the office doesn't have a template for this sort of thing that can be issued to local groups. The local group doesn't have to take it up but I bet most will. I am sure there are loads of similar ideas out there. For example we have recently received from TR Club North Holland a spread sheet to produce Tulip Routes. 

George 

The Traction Avant Citroen is next to impossible to work on without the special tools so a major handicap to car ownership. The Traction Owners Club supplied each area organiser with a set of tools which could be lent out to members, fortunately the situation is not as critical for TR owners.

Cheers

Richard