Noisy Bosch fuel pump. Opinions sought

Hi all, My Bosch fuel pump has started making an awful noise. I went out for about an hour and the car ran great, got back took the wife out for coffee and it misfired quite a bit as if fuel was an issue. Anyhow, when I stopped the car and then got back in to turn on the ignition I heard the noise you hear on the video.

The pump is of unknown age though is going to be old because the link pipe is the old shape/style. I replaced the filters a little while ago with ones from prestige when it made a similar noise but then the pre pump filter was clogged up with scale from the tank. Nothing in there now. The car now runs ok but still with noise.

My ask from this group is if you think something else is occurring in the pump and I should bin it and get a new one. 

Thanks

. I was expecting to hear buzzing noise like the usual suspects, but that does not sound good. More of a terminal sound to me.

could it be a plugged up filter from some dodgy fuel? you could clamp the tank and PRV lines,disconnect filter then run it and see if sound the same. If so, possibly bad news for pump?

Edited by Steve-B

Thanks for the feedback. No matter what I do to test it still makes the noise though hitting it quite hard seems to have quieted it down :rolleyes:

As the pumps are not crazy money I will order a new one from Carl at Prestige.

Thats definitely an "EX" pump sounds like one of the rollers has fractured.

Stuart.

Hi Tim,
Have you checked the voltage between pump-positive and earth?

Waldi

Probably a bad pump but it could be an intermittent electrical supply due to something like a stuttering relay. Maybe try it with a good  12V supply direct from the battery.

On 5/7/2024 at 3:17 PM, timpress said:

Hi all, My Bosch fuel pump has started making an awful noise. I went out for about an hour and the car ran great, got back took the wife out for coffee and it misfired quite a bit as if fuel was an issue. Anyhow, when I stopped the car and then got back in to turn on the ignition I heard the noise you hear on the video.

The pump is of unknown age though is going to be old because the link pipe is the old shape/style. I replaced the filters a little while ago with ones from prestige when it made a similar noise but then the pre pump filter was clogged up with scale from the tank. Nothing in there now. The car now runs ok but still with noise.

My ask from this group is if you think something else is occurring in the pump and I should bin it and get a new one. 

Thanks

Check the fuel supply rate at the pump as per Bosch spec it s/b 2-2.5l/min but what sort of pipework have you got after the pump if it is non flexable that is a no no???

Bruce.