TR5 Sump Gasket Oil Leaks

Hi All. I accept that this topic has been covered before but would like to get the latest thinking on how to cure it. On inspection, a lot of the sump retaining screws have blobs of oil on their heads, which presumably then drip and are replaced in an ongoing process. During driving oil is flung rearward onto the plate that is between the engine and gearbox. What is the best gasket to buy and which sealant should I use with it? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Denis

Denis, 

That the leak(s) seem to be from the securing bolts may be a sign of a typical defect, not of your car but of the Damned Previous Owner!     The sump bolts should be tightened to barely more than hand tight, 20lbs-ft, but so many wrench on them.

A result is to 'bell' the holes in the sump flange, to raise a rim of metal around the hole.   After that, the sump cannot compress any gasket and leaking is inevitable.

Some time ago, here, I wrote up with pics on how to detect and deal with this.   I'm on my mobile now, and finding a link to that post would take some time so please search for it.

Good luck!

John

PS you seem to have double posted!  Remove the extra, please?

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply and your useful suggestion. I'll check for belling when I remove the sump. I'll search for your post. I have tried to remove my duplicated post but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing it. For now I have made it clear that it is a duplicate and will phone the office on Tuesday to sort it out.

Thanks,

Denis

You will notice that 2 of the sump bolts go into the inside of the block, all the others are either in the bridge for the crank bearing, all the others are external and are easily noticed,  and so probably a copper washer would be useful in this place + some sealer.

But cannot remember exactly their position, if you a use a small screw driver in each hole I'm sure you will find them.

John

Thanks John. Very useful. Any thoughts on which sealant to use? 
regards,

Denis

3 hours ago, DenisMc said:

Thanks John. Very useful. Any thoughts on which sealant to use? 
regards,

Denis

Hi Denis

Use this its the best sealant I've used for lots of applications (used by VW and BMW) its yet to leak far better than Blue Hylomar which has let me down on quite a few occasions. Just use gloves as its difficult to get off your skin and don't over tighten the bolts 8-10 ft/lbs is enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166406446549?epid=249614517&itmmeta=01HXA8G9VCJPYM0EMRDA5CW4TE&hash=item26be98ddd5:g:Hc0AAOSwpmJlP5h3&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAABAOI%2B8N7vfZB5NKeO4hnPxCD9OfFiVrrwsjgJg33R1ZrQUtcOaldJ5os3iR27Ib5X4bF2cKLw1TbSvllyh%2BomasiAXdygdT8Qh1i9F7EBgYmieg0jZb051eApeOSmL1gL6XO4A1qlqYy9Rlxwf2DSkmpPEh5NtOGgZfOAqpOAJlfQs3KyE%2BjnUdXarsM9A%2BFGcEmp5XKXi%2BzV7iF74Dbnflx8YPYNmNmNeS1puE2JZryrkghXtACEg9Ty%2FtsOUSEUd7r2%2Bi%2FzuKB%2BK0ptKt4sRfVov5YHavV3tTl6PbkalVtvOwVPSJ56NghY4ZLn70rV8lkqfqKlSBpD8W5hJBbmX6Q%3D|tkp%3ABFBM6p3ByOpj

Andy

Denis if you use a silicon based sealant make absolutely 100 percent sure that you do not get any silicon on the inside edge of your sump! I didnt use a silicon based sealant - I forget what I did use actually but I did a few trial runs with silicon based and no matter how careful I was I always ended up with some on the inside edge of sump- obviously I removed all traces and fitted a new gasket.

If you make sure the flange is level especially around the bolt holes you will only need a thin smear.

A lot of sumps bolts get over tightened to try stop leaks and end up distorted its worth some time with a hammer and dolly to sort them and check with a flat edge.