K&N HP2009 OIL FILTER TR4

Hi All,

Is it a serious threat if a K&N filter sounds as if there is something loose internally when it is shaken gently?  I put such a unit in on Sunday during oil & filter change, and gave it a short run to refuel. I was going to ask the question on the day, but I got locked out when trying to log in to ask!  Oil pressure is completely normal, but I just want to be sure. The filter did roll off the bench so it could have been shaken up!

Best wishes     Willie

Could be non return valve as a lot of cars these days have the oil filter facing upwards on the side of the block.

Stuart.

Thanks James. I am hoping someone can say if there is [harmless] experience of this. Nothing severe has happened to the cartridge compared to operating conditions!

Willie

1 minute ago, Willie said:

Hi Stuart,

Would the K&N have one of these? A pal asked that question.

Willie

I believe most have that now as it seems the way cars these days are built, you could always ask the factors you got it from.

Stuart.

A couple of questions for you

Are you concerned about the noise and that it may harm your engine?

How much is another oil filter?  Buy one and shake that?

Alternatively…..How much is a crank re grind plus shells?

If I doubted the filter I would replace it for peace of mind

If when the new replacement arrives and it too makes the same rattle,  you can put the new filter on the shelf and leave the one you noted as rattling fitted to the car. 

Hi Peter,

I've obtained another just in case, and it doesn't rattle. Nor did the unit removed, but if the loose component will be OK, I'd rather leave it on.  I weighed up the risks on the day. It is a bit more awkward for me to get back under the car to effect a swap than the average person, and I have a gut feel that the filter is better made than to be "broken" by a drop of a metre to the floor. I wondered if anyone had experienced the phenomenon and found it to be non-critical, saving me the bother. Agree with all rationale expressed!! Had there been the slightest indication that all was not normal during the road test, I wouldn't be asking the question.  I'll still sleep on it, but if anyone can reassure me, so much the better!  Off to WyeDean's monthly meeting shortly, so I'll ask there too.

Best wishes    Willie

Most filter elements are bonded in to the cases, there is a good chance that the drop has broken away some of the adhesive so it is probable that your filter has become partially detached. That would be like poking a hole through the filter element allowing unfiltered oil through and into the engine. Do you still feel happy leaving it on?, I know I wouldn`t.

Ralph

For the sake of a small amount of hassle, the small cost of the replacement filter and the small amount of oil to fill the new filter/top up the sump, I’d replace this. You can quickly damage the crank if there’s a problem, and I’m sure that if this happens, you’d regret not changing the damaged filter.

It’s well worth avoiding that potential scenario.

David

I've never hear of a rattle and would totally agree with the feedback on here, replace if uneasy. I do have references to "other" filters that fit, can I run them past the collective to make sure they are correct?

Bosch 0451 103 033

Mann W719/5

13 hours ago, Nigel C said:

I've never hear of a rattle and would totally agree with the feedback on here, replace if uneasy. I do have references to "other" filters that fit, can I run them past the collective to make sure they are correct?

Bosch 0451 103 033

Mann W719/5

I can add to that Mahle OC21.  A short filter that fits on my TTR3 spin on adapter. Good  quality filter made in Austria and an OE supplier to auto makers. Have been using them for years on all my vehicles .