Hi all, I know this is an old topic, but last info I can find is 2008 posting.

I would like to replace LH lower, mine has one vertical split. My question is what does the offering from Rimmer/Moss look like? I'm not keen on an obviously new part on a very original white dash.Have people gone down the recovering route ( diy or professional )

Many thanks  John Mellor

Hi John,

are you referring to the grab handle?

If so most DIY type members can recover it. I've done a couple. I believe TRGB also undertake this service.

The TRShop sell there NEW grab handle  and Moss also have a new grab handle.  Not sure what Rimmer has.

The TRShop item looks very good.

If you recover your own do consider that the extra layer will make fitting the back plate a bit difficult.

The new ones do not have the back plate.

Roger

13 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi John,

are you referring to the grab handle?

If so most DIY type members can recover it. I've done a couple. I believe TRGB also undertake this service.

The TRShop sell there NEW grab handle  and Moss also have a new grab handle.  Not sure what Rimmer has.

The TRShop item looks very good.

If you recover your own do consider that the extra layer will make fitting the back plate a bit difficult.

The new ones do not have the back plate.

Roger

Is it possible to add an original metal backing plate to one of the new TR Shop ones Roger?

Stuart.

Hi Chris, been thinking of doing this. Did TRGB use all your original pads (do they accept an odd split ?) or diid you buy and cover new pads ?

Mick Richards

Hi Mick l supplied the dash top and crash pads they sent them down the road to the trimmers. The ‘H’ frame l did myself with a kit from eBay . The small splits and missing bits of vinyl they fill as long as it’s not too big a piece missing ,l believe they use body filler and sand back, from the conversation l had with Gary 

Chris

Guys - my understanding is that the trimmer TRGB employed to do these parts retired a few years ago and they haven't been able to replace him - hence they haven't been able to provide this service for quite some time. I have been regularly checking with them and that was still the case when I last checked fairly recently so maybe that has just changed. Be good if it has.

In the meantime, I'm working on doing some complete sets of these myself which would include the dash top, the switch plinth, the left hand grab handle and right hand crash pads, and the H frame, but it is a very time consuming exercise - I am hoping to have them ready for Malvern but I'm not sure they are going to be ready at this rate

Attached are some photos of a previous batch I did a few years ago, but I did have some problems with the glue used which caused a few issues - these have now been resolved - the photos are an example of what I am hoping to do, whereas the new batch will have some minor changes to switch plinth

Cheers Rich Crewe-Read

389810039_IMG_7176-Resized.thumb.JPG.60807400d979f429c32a2af564977873.JPG1590056613_IMG_7172-Resized.thumb.JPG.0495a184e48a4a7ab01b33c3be100fb2.JPG716041689_IMG_7174-Resized.thumb.JPG.01d5f56ef74ad9590b8cd7fadf683091.JPG

IMG_7173 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7175 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7177 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7178 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7179 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7180 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7181 - Resized.JPG

That looks impressive Richard, did you have failures before finally cracking it. What glue did you use? Adhesive and my limited talent don't blend well judging by my attempts with boot rubber

10 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Guys - my understanding is that the trimmer TRGB employed to do these parts retired a few years ago and they haven't been able to replace him - hence they haven't been able to provide this service for quite some time. I have been regularly checking with them and that was still the case when I last checked fairly recently so maybe that has just changed. Be good if it has.

In the meantime, I'm working on doing some complete sets of these myself which would include the dash top, the switch plinth, the left hand grab handle and right hand crash pads, and the H frame, but it is a very time consuming exercise - I am hoping to have them ready for Malvern but I'm not sure they are going to be ready at this rate

Attached are some photos of a previous batch I did a few years ago, but I did have some problems with the glue used which caused a few issues - these have now been resolved - the photos are an example of what I am hoping to do, whereas the new batch will have some minor changes to switch plinth

Cheers Rich Crewe-Read

389810039_IMG_7176-Resized.thumb.JPG.60807400d979f429c32a2af564977873.JPG1590056613_IMG_7172-Resized.thumb.JPG.0495a184e48a4a7ab01b33c3be100fb2.JPG716041689_IMG_7174-Resized.thumb.JPG.01d5f56ef74ad9590b8cd7fadf683091.JPG

IMG_7173 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7175 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7177 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7178 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7179 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7180 - Resized.JPG

IMG_7181 - Resized.JPG

Hi Rich, will you be offering these on an exchange basis or straight sale?

1 hour ago, Nick Seber said:

Hi Rich, will you be offering these on an exchange basis or straight sale?

Nick - probably on an outright straight sale basis as I've got a small stock of sets and they take up a lot of space

4 hours ago, John Mellor said:

That looks impressive Richard, did you have failures before finally cracking it. What glue did you use? Adhesive and my limited talent don't blend well judging by my attempts with boot rubber

John - it took a while to work out a method to restore the original vinyl/foam - this is what takes a lot of time and quite honestly I doubt if it would be viable/cost effective on a commercial basis as with age, as there is usually so much vinyl/foam damage which needs stabilising before covering. Putting a thin foam over the whole item before covering just doesn't look right as it makes it bulkier so the finish on the part has to be totally smooth before gluing the covers.

I don't make or glue the covers - I used to have a local trimmer do this but he gave up and I've only recently found another trimmer who may be able to do them so fingers crossed. The glue I supplied in the end was Alfa 178 which is a heat resistant contact adhesive recommended by Stuart on here

Hope this helps

Cheers Rich Crewe-Read

10 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Be aware.... The dash pads that I bought from Rimmers were moulded plastic

There two types of material that can be used.

One is a black spongy material that also forms the outer surface. It is the cheaper of the two but looks ****

The second material is a white foam sponge that has a separate moulded vinyl outer layer. Is more expensive but similar to the original construction.

Roger