Number of cover fixing posts? (rear cockpit)

Evening all,

just taken delivery of a new hood stick cover from John Skinner trimmers. Only 7 new lift the dot fixings were supplied, our 1958 3A has 12 to affix the reader of the soft top. is that the same as everyone else’s? 

Mine has 12. In fact 14 if you include the ones under the corners of the hood sticks, though these were impossible to use with the cover I bought so I used them along the back edge instead, about 18 inches apart, to stop the cover billowing up. The pic makes it look as though these extra studs are right in the corner but they are not, they are 9 inches either side of centre. I attach these first, then put the hood sticks down and wrap the cover up and over to attach the back studs. 

Ralph

20240414_074754.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

My 1959 TR3a has 14 around the body at the rear and four on each door.   This aligns with all the info I had at the time of doing the original restoration back in 2010ish. Two of the body ones are low down alongside the ‘B’ post for the doors. One each side.

Rgds Ian

I have loads of the lift the dot fasteners for hoods and tonneaus if you need any.

Stuart.

!2 external on mine, + 2 internal to keep it from "flappin"

FWIW my 1st cover was from Moss, & no way would it fit, just made too small. Got a refund, & purchased one from Rimmers - it fitted fine !

Bob

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all your comments, I understand there maybe variations depending on preference etc. was hoping I hadn’t missed something! I’ll get hold of some more fasteners. This only leaves me with one issue, and that’s the “point” at the end of the cover. I have no post on the car to attach another fastener, so hoping it won’t flap around too much when the side screens aren’t fitted. I think a modification of the cover maybe needed if it does (my other half is very handy with a sewing machine) 

IMG_2410.jpeg

Edited by Chris Fleet

Your car is a TR3A.   You seem to have a hood stick cover with the longer ears that goes on TR2 and 3.

Skinner do make the right one for your car.   Here is a photo from their web page

IMG_2681.jpeg

40 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Your car is a TR3A.   You seem to have a hood stick cover with the longer ears that goes on TR2 and 3.

Skinner do make the right one for your car.   Here is a photo from their web page

IMG_2681.jpeg

That’s brilliant, I’ve forwarded on the above to the trimmers, hopefully they can swap out for the above

I never realised that there were different covers for the hood sticks.  My car is a 3a and I was sent a cover with the long ears, so just added the missing peg to the B post.

Ralph

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

IMG_2681.jpeg

The fit of that isnt a good advert

Stuart.

Looks like they haven't fitted (or used) the inside pegs, which should straighten out the wrinkles

Bob

Edited by Lebro
5 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I never realised that there were different covers for the hood sticks.  My car is a 3a and I was sent a cover with the long ears, so just added the missing peg to the B post.

Ralph

...and the extra peg gets close to or touches the sidescreen?

Heard back from skinners, the long eared cover was standard up until TS41743 but was “upgraded” to remove the ears thereafter. The long ears wouldn’t have had a fixing hence the update. 

now, our car falls in the pre mod range (TS40935) so, stick with what was supplied or go modified!? 

Hmm…..

well it seems our car may have the “later” positioning of the posts. As far as I can tell, the rear quarter panels are the originals, as there is no mention in the paperwork of them being replaced, however, I guess they could still have been done at some point. 

18 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

...and the extra peg gets close to or touches the sidescreen?

Yes it is close but the sidescreens just miss them.

Ralph

The higher position of the LTD peg was done when the solid skirt sidescreens were introduced.

Bob