Karcher K2 pressure washer

Has anyone here repaired a Karcher K2 pressure washer ?  Mine stopped and has had no life since. I am trying to research any problems and have checked the water pressure. Tomorrow I will try opening up the yellow case and see if I can find a simple repair.

Once I have repaired it I will feel more confident next time. A bit like the TR3

If there is anyone who knows the answers please let us know.

Richard & B

Thanks for the link Roger. I am a bit nervous about opening the motor casing inside the yellow outside case. The video was useful but he did not find a problem and ended with the pressure washer working.

So later on I will open up the inside and see if I can get the same result.

Richard & B

Start by checking the state of the filter where the water arrives. It may begunged up.

Taking the pump apart isn’t a big deal.However the pump components wear rather more quickly than they should, particularly if the water is not too clean. If this is the case the reduction in pressure at the business end is slow but constant.

My betting is on the filter being clogged up.

james

I've just watched the video  -  DO NOT DO WHAT HE DOES.   It is potentially lethal and the video should be withdrawn in my opinion. 

1/  DO NOT play around with mains powered equipment on a un- earthed metal bench. 

2/  DO NOT plug the thing in with the covers off whilst holding onto it.   

3/  Water and electrics do not mix - he made no attempt to drain the thing before starting.  

It is best not to run anything with the covers off but sometimes it is the only way to fault-find. 

The only safe way to functionally-test the thing is to clamp it securely to a non-conducting bench to prevent it moving. DO NOT plug it in until this has been done.

Stand clear before plugging it in and use an RCD-protected socket.  If you must operate any switches on the device for it to work, wear clean, dry rubber gloves and only touch with one hand. 

If you need to make voltage measurements, disconnect the thing from the mains, clip the meter on the points to be measured, stand back and plug it in. Observe the meter from a distance.

Unplug again before moving the meter to the next point if any and repeat. 

Edited by RobH

Thanks for the advice Rob. I have found a company who will service my K2 and I will take it in to them. I hope to get a quote first ??

Richard & B

Yes - apologies if that was a bit of a rant Richard but I spent a fair proportion of my working life trying to stop people electrocuting themselves - and that video is an object lesson in what you should not do.  

Richard,

Does the motor run? I have had two different models of Karcher washers where the capacitor on the motor has died. It is a simple task to replace.

I have also had the on/off switch fail again a very simple repair once you have the case off but that switch went intermittent before it's  final demise.

All the Karchers I have worked on just need the obvious screws removing and the case pulls apart to give full access.

Alan

Richard,

Fingers crossed you get it sorted, but just incase, I happened to spot the following on Martin Lewis’s website earlier today: 

“Kärcher's doing a 20% off sale this week, starting at 12.01am on Friday 29 March... but we've Blagged an early access code so you can get the deal NOW – just in case sale stock runs out. The code – YWMSE20 – is valid on all items, including those already reduced. Just enter it at the checkout by 11.59pm on Thursday 28 March (after that the discount will be available to all, so you won't need it).”

Cheers,

ben.