Yep I know and I have seen it mentioned before but had a look and cannot find it. I have used Muc Off in the past it makes a good job of cleaning a very muddy bike and chain but know I have the diff out squeaky bum time, somebody had been there before the nuts on the prop were all rounded off :wacko: managed to get 2 off with spanners and 2 with mole grips and spanners but it was a close thing and they were so so tight. How ever after cleaning the diff with muff off only did half a job do people still use Gunk or is there something far superior . I intend to drop the sump hopefully next week clean and straighten it if required, and suspect what ever is left in the sump after draining will take something better than Muff OFF to get clean.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I use Wynn's Brake & Clutch cleaner. It works very well on any grease / oil

I prefer the aerosols for convenience but not cheap.  A 5ltr can is significantly cheaper but less convenient.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=Wynnes+Brake+%26+Clutch+cleaner&_sacat=0&_odkw=Brake+%26+Clutch+cleaner&_osacat=0

Roger

Phil - I always use petrol but be careful not to cause a spark and use a stiff brush/old toothbrush/small flat bladed scraper to shift the really hard crusted stuff, a lot of which is often around the diff. Once cleaned off of oil, I then go over the steel bits with an angle grinder with cup brush to get all the rust off and provide a nice base for a coat of paint. If the Coxes are rebuilding your diff, get them to put a drain plug in the bottom of the casing - if you want it to look the dos do-dahs, get then to powder coat the front and rear mountings to get it looking like the one in the photos below

Cheers Rich

IMG_3224 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3226 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3228 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3229 - Resized.JPG

19 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Phil - I always use petrol but be careful not to cause a spark and use a stiff brush/old toothbrush/small flat bladed scraper to shift the really hard crusted stuff, a lot of which is often around the diff. Once cleaned off of oil, I then go over the steel bits with an angle grinder with cup brush to get all the rust off and provide a nice base for a coat of paint. If the Coxes are rebuilding your diff, get them to put a drain plug in the bottom of the casing - if you want it to look the dos do-dahs, get then to powder coat the front and rear mountings to get it looking like the one in the photos below

Cheers Rich

IMG_3224 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3226 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3228 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3229 - Resized.JPG

Hi Rich, what paint are you using on the casing itself, looks smart. Mick Richards

Mick - the black paint on the main body is Lidl metal protection gloss black - I do however go over the main casing with twist knot wire wheel in a angle grinder to remove all rust and scale  - you can then read the serial numbers which are often too faint to read under years of crud and rust

The front mounting bracket is powder coated black and the rear one powder coated silver

Cheers Rich

Posted (edited)

thats ok Rich today I am going to try and make a wooden buck that the diff can sit in when I lift it back into the car hopefully make it more stable can also use it for transporting it down to Peter Cox sports cars next week.

Phil

Edited by phil Dean