This is my first post on the forum having recently joined after owning my first TR6, a 1971 PI in red. Anyway the horn doesn't work and when I took off the centre horn push there is a small nut in the centre and tfsts it. I think I need a metal plate or wire to connect it to the small shaft that sits to one side of the wheel retaining bolt. I am no electrician but tried to connect said nutcwith said shaft and got a beep of the horn when pressing the centre whilst grounding the side ring onto the wheel. If you could help me that would be great

There should be a hole in the boss with a spring-loaded horn pencil in it (plastic tube with metal contacts either end). That connects the ring to a contact on the horn push, which in turn is grounded via the boss.

If you can beep the horn when making contact between the spring-loaded pin and mass (like the nut that keeps the steering wheel fixed), the button is the likely culprit.

The button should have a brass(?) plate the connects to the metal spring which is at the side of the push. This provides the electrical path from pin to mass when you press the button.

Waldi

Sounds like I am missing a metal plate that connects horn push centre nut to pencil. That connection is constantly made, right and the horn sounds when you push thr horn button and it breaks the connect to earth?

It’s the other way Trevor,
pushing the button “shorts” the horn circuit to mass.

Waldi

2 hours ago, Waldi said:

It’s the other way Trevor,
pushing the button “shorts” the horn circuit to mass.

But, either way, it sounds like you're right. There should be a metal contact extending from the small nut in the centre of the horn push to make contact with the end of the pencil. The problem is always related in some way to the nut at the wheel...

John

This old thread has some photos that might help:

Sorry, senior moment - I have a Motolita wheel so the original setup may be different...
John

Your horn push should have a Copper strip that goes from that centre nut to contact with the pencil.

Stuart.

11 minutes ago, stuart said:

Your horn push should have a Copper strip that goes from that centre nut to contact with the pencil.

But is there a nut behind the wheel?

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

But is there a nut behind the wheel?

:lol::lol::rolleyes:

Stuart.

• 1 month later...