Emerald K6 ecu dimensions.

Hi, can anyone confirm the dimensions of the Emerald K6 ecu. Their website says 110×190×44 but it is not clear if that includes the connector. I have emailed them to confirm but they have not replied.

I will give them a call on Monday if no-one can help on here.

Thanks 

Chris.

Edited by TRsixchris
Typos

Thanks Mike,

Don't worry if its difficult to get at - I can speak to Emerald on Monday. I would be interested in how / where is your ECU mounted though? 

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, the size of the box itself excluding  the plugs on each end is: 110x47x167 (I may be a couple of mill out due to my contortions to get there). There are plugs on each end of the box and including them the overall length is 240. 

My unit is mounted unseen behind the glove box, roughly underneath the wiper motor. So from the engine bay all you see are a couple of small bolt heads holding it in place.

The cable for PC etc access "in case" is looped out of the way within the footwell.

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

The info is much appreciated. I was thinking of trying to mount the ECU in the engine bay but will probably do similar to your installation.

Chris

3 hours ago, Mikell said:

My unit is mounted unseen behind the glove box, roughly underneath the wiper motor. So from the engine bay all you see are a couple of small bolt heads holding it in place.

The cable for PC etc access "in case" is looped out of the way within the footwell.

Mike.

Also tucked mine under there, two bolts diagonaly opposite so all I have to do is loosen them slightly, twist the ECU a small bit and it drops down.

20 hours ago, TRsixchris said:

Thanks Mike,

The info is much appreciated. I was thinking of trying to mount the ECU in the engine bay but will probably do similar to your installation.

Chris

Needs to be mounted in the driest place possible, up under passenger footwell is favourite mounted so the remote cable plug is easily accessible

Stuart.

On 3/16/2024 at 5:57 PM, TRsixchris said:

Thanks Mike,

Chris

Hi.

My K6 Emerald ECU is mounted just under the battery tray, inside the cabin, away from any passengers accidentally knocking it with their feet. It has two brackets to hold into position, and velcro straps to remove if necessary for ease of access.

My K6 is under the glovebox area. Hinged on a drop down purposed made cage and secured by spire clips. I have been running my EFI since 2010 and been relatively trouble free. One hot water sender kaput, one coil pack with a misfire, Crank sensor tried to make a run for it but overall very, very good.

Changed out  for Heritage throttle bodies in 2017 (I think) and that induction roar is fab.

EmeraldM3D are a great company and Dave Walker (company founder) is a guru on EFI and training up a younger guy to take over his mantle.20201221_150214_resized.thumb.jpg.4387590947ad20247559b189b5a2dbfd.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I am building my efi around modified standard throttle bodies (Fred Millturn). I have the throttle bodies on the car but am still running lucas injection

I see jenvey do a tr6 specific throttle body set up which also looks good but will persevere with what I have for now.

The cam bores in my current engine are a bit loose so need to get them line bored and bearings fitted. 

So plenty of work to do.

Chris

The Jenveys do look very much like the CR inlets but at a considerable premium over the Fred Millturn ones.

I think that Emerald don't recommend fitting in the engine bay.

Chris,

I fitted an Emerald ECU a few years ago and subsequently wrote a technicalities article for TR Action which was published in Issue 317. It might give you some help.

After much "faffing about" I located the ECU on the passenger side footwell side wall behind the carpeted side trim panel, main socket facing the bulkhead, map switch and mapping sockets facing rearwards. I fitted an aluminium spacer below the ECU to ensure the trim panel did not bear on the ECU, just scoring the millboard backing of the panel to allow it to fold around the ECU. It makes little difference to the overall width of the passenger footwell and made the ECU more accessible without too much contortion. I also ensured there was enough spare length in the cable loom to allow easy disconnection of the main plug from the ECU i.e. I put a complete loop in the main loom adjacent to the main plug.

Ian

17 hours ago, TRsixchris said:

Thanks for all the replies. I am building my efi around modified standard throttle bodies (Fred Millturn). I have the throttle bodies on the car but am still running lucas injection

I see jenvey do a tr6 specific throttle body set up which also looks good but will persevere with what I have for now.

The cam bores in my current engine are a bit loose so need to get them line bored and bearings fitted. 

So plenty of work to do.

Chris

Do you have a local machine shop to do the cam bearings ? If you're stuck, give me a shout, there is a company near me that offer this service. Had mine done in 2011 by them.

Cheers.

I was thinking of using Ivor Searle as I know they have done a lot of these however they are quite a way from me. Where is your company?

There is also a company nearer to me, Classic & Modern Engine Services but they were expensive and were pretty off hand when I spoke to them. They do generally seem to have a good reputation however.