Hello

About to reassemble my TR4 rear suspension when I found the attached photo taken from the Roger Williams "How to restore Triumph TR4 and TR4A", p134. It shows what I think is 2 "D" washers and a spacer on the front pin? (Instead of 1 "D" washer). Says it's a Revington mod.

Another edit: not a spacer but the shoulder of the pin, and 1 "D" washer plus a washer of same outer diameter but will fit on pin.

Comments please?

Thanks, Adrian

leaf spring location on pin.jpg

Edited by adriantr4
More information, another correction

All the TR suppliers especially those involved with motorsport offer them.

I first saw Darryl at Racetorations fitting them to his car back in his early competition days but I'm pretty sure they were "of their time and a well known" mod for 1950s - 60s owners to improve handling by controlling the rear axle side movement where the rubber bushes allow a little too much side movement without going full "Tonto" and fitting a Panhard rod.

I fit them on my road car, easy and cheap to do (as long as you source them yourself from a hardware supplier) and any cheap betterment that can be had to roadholding that helps car control..."is my sort of mod".

Don''t forget yesteryears spring mod of clamping the spring leaves together with a small square section U bolt (hopefully Stuart will post a photo of his fitted) both behind and in front of the axle position U bolts, it allows a degree of spring stiffening that gives a halfway house between standard and radically stiffened leaves which shake your fillings out. By changing their position down and up the spring length it even gives a degree of adjustment in their strength application. 

Mick Richards

9 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

I first saw Darryl at Racetorations fitting them to his car back in his early competition days but I'm pretty sure they were "of their time and a well known" mod for 1950s - 60s owners to improve handling by controlling the rear axle side movement where the rubber bushes allow a little too much side movement without going full "Tonto" and fitting a Panhard rod.

I fit them on my road car, easy and cheap to do (as long as you source them yourself from a hardware supplier) and any cheap betterment that can be had to roadholding that helps car control..."is my sort of mod".

Don''t forget yesteryears spring mod of clamping the spring leaves together with a small square section U bolt (hopefully Stuart will post a photo of his fitted) both behind and in front of the axle position U bolts, it allows a degree of spring stiffening that gives a halfway house between standard and radically stiffened leaves which shake your fillings out. By changing their position down and up the spring length it even gives a degree of adjustment in their strength application. 

Mick Richards

thanks Mick, 

everyday's a school day!

John.

14 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Mick Richards

You mean like this Mick ;)

Stuart.

422247077_Rearaxle011.thumb.jpg.dd8d5666ac311af2029ea156d627b1b2.jpg183015829_Rearaxle006.thumb.jpg.24d75d47c6bbf5da3447e0a2241c296f.jpg

Thanks Stuart, yes just the job.

Mick Richards

Hello

Thanks to all responders.

Below is the link to the Revington kit

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr3059k/name/location-kit-rr-springs-tr2-4

Which comprises 4 washers: 2 "D" washers and 2 washers that fit over the leaf spring locating pin. 

As a cheapskate I intend to attempt to make my own equivalent.

My last question: although hardly worth it, should I shave a little bit off the inner bush of the Silentbloc (but leaving the inner metal bush still proud of the outer metal bush)? The picture shows a bit of a gap.

In other news I got the remnant outer part of the Silentblocs out of the leaf spring eye, and they fought me all way.

Adrian

IMG_00007_BURST20240313222726.jpg

Did my own many years ago using phosphor bronze washers on the inner between chassis and spring, the washers came from some large vehicle king pin kit.

Worth noting also that nylatron bushing the rear spring shackles aids the spring location too.   I used  the bushes meant for MGB.

Good idea there from Peter.

I never shaved the silentblocs on mine, even with the small gap between inner tube and the outside of the bush where the additional washer will locate against (from memory about 3mm on mine). I reasoned that a few mm which the gap would allow the spring on it's silentblock bush to deflect across before being restrained, would still be immeasurably better than the original unrestrained travel that occurs.

Mick Richards.

Many moons ago I shaved the inner down flush with the spring and took a bit off the rounded spring edge to leave a flat against the washer and minimum clearance. I give them a quick spray lube every now and again when I’m under the car. 

Revingtons instructions for fitting that "Kit" do say to shave the bush

Stuart.

Attached is my homework - custom washers to fit the leaf spring pins, and the Silentblocs inner metal bush trimmed back. With hindsight perhaps we could have taken a bit more off, but in practice for my car I don't think its critical.

The only minor issue in adapting the Silentbloc is that the inner bush isn't totally centered, so it does wobble in the lathe.

Lastly, I spotted that the clamps on the leaf springs were trying to loosen off, so simple to compress them up tight in a vice.

My thanks to Dave Smith of the Wessex group of the TR Register and his vintage lathe for his time, and to the Posters of this thread. All very interesting.

Cheers, Adrian 

IMG_20240315_120109_072.jpg