Dash installation TR4A

Good Morning

Stuck at home recovering from surgery and the phone rings from my local garage who are installing a new dash for me as I will be laid up a while

So they have a problem without me being able to see the issue in person they are saying the new dash does not fit if you note from the attached photo the top dashboard is the old one which appears to have had the lip cut off below the glovebox

The new dashboard still has the lip would I be correct that removing the crash below the glovebox would the dash the fit and be screwed to metal and refitting the crash pad would leave no gap once refitted?

As ever your thoughts suggestions ideas etc are great fully received 

I bought the new dash at 75th anniversary meet was advised it fits a Triumph TR4A 

IMG-20240228-WA0012.jpg

Edited by Tiger123

Do you have the left hand side grab handle? That bit goes down behind it.

Stuart.

So just had a what's app call with the restorers why are the bloody obvious things not obvious? It won't fit as the the car has a TR6 crash pad instead of the TR4A crash pad with the grab handle which would accommodate the lip in the void of the grab handle

A few phone calls and I find that RHD TR4A grab handles are as rare as hens teeth have emailed and contacted suppliers even a used one and recovered would work

My options are

1. By a third party grab handle will need modifications to fit (Spoke to Steve at TRGB who confirmed this would the case)

2. Have the old dashboard reveneered as lip has been taken off (any recommendations in Somerset area)

3. The least palatable option cut the lip off the new dashboard and run the risk of chipping the veneer

Edited by Tiger123

Moss are doing the crash pads for the passenger side now...

Part number 808732

Tom

2 hours ago, Tiger123 said:

So just had a what's app call with the restorers why are the bloody obvious things not obvious? It won't fit as the the car has a TR6 crash pad instead of the TR4A crash pad with the grab handle which would accommodate the lip in the void of the grab handle

A few phone calls and I find that RHD TR4A grab handles are as rare as hens teeth have emailed and contacted suppliers even a used one and recovered would work

My options are

1. By a third party grab handle will need modifications to fit (Spoke to Steve at TRGB who confirmed this would the case)

2. Have the old dashboard reveneered as lip has been taken off (any recommendations in Somerset area)

3. The least palatable option cut the lip off the new dashboard and run the risk of chipping the veneer

I spent many years building high end acoustic guitars and having to make very accurate cuts in exceptionally expensive thin woods.  The secret of a clean cut is to use a marking knife to define the cut line, not a pencil.  Clamp a steel straight edge on to the wood where you want the cut to be and score through the veneer with a very sharp knife.  When you make the final saw cut do so on the waste side of the score line then clean up with sandpaper on a block.