I wonder if someone can shed some light on a window/roof gap.

Mohair hood from Moss fitted by a local trimmer before I purchased the car. I put the roof up at a local show last summer when rain was imminent and noticed the window finished an inch or so under the external sealing flap of the roof on both sides, pretty sure I would get very wet if driving it in the rain.

incorrectly fitted roof or door glass?

Roof looks correct when up

Hi Nick, I think I have see on the forum that at one time you couldn’t get TR4&4a glass so people used TR6 glass that is a slightly different size, found this page but didn’t give size of glass.

Mike Redrose Group 

IMG_4162.jpeg

40 minutes ago, brenda said:

Hi Nick, I think I have see on the forum that at one time you couldn’t get TR4&4a glass so people used TR6 glass that is a slightly different size, found this page but didn’t give size of glass.

Mike Redrose Group 

IMG_4162.jpeg

With a soft hood the different glass doesnt really matter that much its only really noticeable with a hard top fitted, it will be the height stop for the window that I expect needs adjusting. Item 110 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/doors-fittings/doors-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

This was mine back in 2007 when it still had the soft top fitted and fitted with 5/6 door glasses before the correct 4/4a ones were available.

Stuart.

Copy of My TR4a 002.jpg

I have the same problem with my soft top car with the side windows there is a 16mm gap at the bottom but tight against the screen surround at the top. Please see pictures below.. John Morrison suggested there is a way of adjusting the angle could somebody advice how you do this I think the back of the glass needs to go down to bring the front of the glass up and make it parallel with the screen surround. Also I have noticed it only just goes over the inner flap for the soft top and stops well short of going between the inner and outer flap on the soft top pictures below explain it better.1247057563_sidewindowbottom.thumb.jpg.5c08269727dc2ed7cd8928f9ae4cdedd.jpg424024299_sidewindowtop.thumb.JPEG.de30e71398444f623b8758d083a4164e.JPEG350747640_glasstosofttop..thumb.JPEG.da760f9f98de984775e3aa07b38d4efa.JPEG

Edited by phil Dean
9 hours ago, phil Dean said:

Anybody got any ideas on this one the manual just tells you how to remove and place the glass not how to adjust the angle

Phil. 

There is only minimal adjustment if you have the right glass and that’s in the mounting of the winder itself as those holes are slotted, I have on odd occasions managed to fit a small wedge in the glass mounting channel but you do need to be careful or the glass can slide out of it, you can also alter the angle of the screen frame too 

Stuart 

1 minute ago, phil Dean said:

Hi Stuart. I have tried altering the front screen frame without much success and doing some research this afternoon I presume you mean the adjuster circled in yellow below. Phil.

Phil1575155551_windowwindermechblownup.thumb.jpg.cbf479321651955db5b2e1df676d27ec.jpg

That adjusts the height that you can wind the window up to but doesn’t alter the rake of the glass 

Stuart.

Hi Phil,

you may need to re-shape the regulator arms to crank the bottom of the window to a better angle.

If you look at the regulator cross arms you will see where thjey ahve been partly cut through and then locked.

This does work. However see if you can find another answer first.

Look carefully at the cross arms you should be able to see where they are partly cut.

Roger

P1060810a.jpg

HoodDoesNotFit1.pdfThis is a very interesting thread and I like to share my experience. I worked on this problem 2 years ago and managed to get the front of the glass edge parallel to the frame of the windshield. However, the back of the glass edge shows a deviation of 25 mm as shown in the photo. I have checked the type of glass extensively with the information on the forum and I am sure that I have a TR4A glass. How far can the windshield be tilted forward? If the glass could be turned further afterwards, I wonder how far. I suspect that the gap of 25 mm cannot be bridged; I will obviously have to buy a new hood since the current hood will be too short at the front.
However, I would be grateful if some of you could share his experience regarding the maximum rotation of the windscreen and the effect on the gap.
Jean-Marie

My hood is a tight fit and at first I thought the hood when up and clipped into place  was pulling the top of the windscreen surround back so I measured it with the hood up and down the difference in the gap. 2 mm

its not so say over a period of time the windscreen surround hasn’t settled in that place having been pulled back slightly when the hood is up .

Jean-Marie how did you get the front of the glass parallel with the windscreen surround.. 

Phil

Edited by phil Dean

Hello,

Folding the regulator arms can be done in situ. The attached images show how the arms are first clamped to a steel bar. The last photo shows the crowbar which is inserted into the gap, and which is then moved downwards (movements 1 and 2) to fold the regulator arm. I don't remember there being any cuts (weakening’s) in the regulator arms and I didn't put any in them. However, folding the regulator arms was relatively easy ones the clamps were firm fixed, you should disconnect the right (front) vertical guide to prevent bending them during this operation.

There is still a gap at the top of the glass. This is because the hood is not wide enough. I measured the width of 3 hoods (2 old ones) and 1 mounted on the car and got the following results (see photo): hood mounted on the car when I bought it (Coming from California): 1105 mm; hood bought in USA (around 2010): 1065 mm and hood bought in UK (2019): 1090 mm. There are differences that influence the good fit.

I have a lot of respect for those who make everything fit perfectly on a car with a surrey top. Taylor made hood is an alternative, but expensive.HoodWidth.pdf

Jean-Marie

BendingRegulatorArm1.JPG

BendingRegulatorArm2.JPG

BendingRegulatorArm3.JPG