TR3A Moss rack and pinion conversion.

I have this conversion on on my TR3A and there is a lot of play on one side. Can anyone confirm if this is the Mini rack that Moss do?

I spoke to two people there and neither was able to confirm with any certainty. The parts are not shown in the catalogue or on the net and I would like to see an exploded diagram before I take things apart. I did ask if there were any shims needed but no answer. I have ordered the two tie rods.

2 hours ago, roy53 said:

To my knowledge it was a LHD mini rack slightly shortened.

Roy

The inner rods are threaded further in and then shortened. It is indeed a LHD Mini rack as they have the rack fitted behind the wheels.

Stuart.

Many thanks..

Never having touched a steering rack before I'm not sure how easy it will be with the rack in situ. As I said one side has a lot of movement.

Moss don't show a breakdown and at the moment I have bought two tie rods and the gaiter set. Not sure where the wear will be. Is there something simple like a nylon collar or what, that might be the culprit?

Anyone had one apart and can offer some guidance before I start?

3 minutes ago, TwinCamJohn said:

Many thanks..

Never having touched a steering rack before I'm not sure how easy it will be with the rack in situ. As I said one side has a lot of movement.

Moss don't show a breakdown and at the moment I have bought two tie rods and the gaiter set. Not sure where the wear will be. Is there something simple like a nylon collar or what, that might be the culprit?

Anyone had one apart and can offer some guidance before I start?

Usual wear point is in the bush at the left hand end of the rack tube on later TR racks but I dont know on a Mini rack, probably ask on a Mini forum might get you an answer..

Stuart.

From previous experience with my Daughters 70's mini it was the nearside Bush at the end of the rack which was badly worn, causing mot fail.

Bob

11 minutes ago, Lebro said:

From previous experience with my Daughters 70's mini it was the nearside Bush at the end of the rack which was badly worn, causing mot fail.

Bob

So basically the same part that wears on the original TR 4/5/6 rack item 76 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/steering/steering-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Brand new LHD rack from Mini Spares is only £80.  

Ralph

Just need to tap the thread further down and reduce the length.Or fit the replacements you have purchased if the same length as those on your existing one.

What I ment was buy the new rack and adapt or fit the new parts you have

i had one fail and got a replacement from moss