Misfiring Backfiring TR2

OK, anybody got any advice on the following.

TR2 started missing and backfiring on Saturday having taken her for a 10 mile or so run - we limped home. I have checked out nearly as much as I can. - points, plugs, distributor, leads, carbs, air filters etc.

The spark at the plugs looks a bit weak and the plugs are wet from fuel but I have to use lots of choke to get her to run anyway. When I can get her running she then seems to run very rich before she starts shooting me! But would that just be because the plugs are flooded?

Am planning next to change the condenser.

I am also going to change the plugs because I suspect fuel will be tracking along them and weakening the spark anyway. Current plugs are BP6HS - is this best for my TR2?

Any other thoughts before I call in the professionals?

Cheers Peter

You’re doing well Peter don’t be spending dosh on a professional just yet

Condenser Yes and you might swop the coil if you have or can borrow a spare

John

Check the needle valves in the carb bowl for obstruction. Had same symptoms when the rubber fuel pump gasket broke up part blocking the valves. Would limp home on full choke.Plugs and points and condenser always a good point to start.

Roy

If all 4 plugs were wet with fuel that suggests its not a single carb at fault.  Has points gap closed up ?

As above, the condenser is the usual first go to. Change that, make sure the points are clean and gapped properly, dry and clean and gap the spark plugs. If that doesn't work, try a new coil and/or new plug leads. Nine times out of ten the issue is electrical, in my humble experience.

Edited by Rod1883

Modern plugs don't like getting wet. If they have been soaked I suggest you replace the plugs and the condenser.

I'm 95% it is the condenser. I've been through a lot of them in the past 5 years. I have kept points only on my Concours TR2, the others have electronic ignition.

If you stay with the points I'd recommend you get a Distributor Doctor condenser, the Moss ones are useless.

Okie dokie, so have changed Condenser this morning and she is back running beautifully smoothly. Perhaps I should have done that first off but I suppose at least I've been all over most of the other options and checked they are all OK so that's no bad thing!

Thanks for input everybody.

Happy motoring.

Peter

I has problems with the condensers. I ended up buying one specially made for a racing mini and costing £30.00 ++ It had to be mounted on the coil bracket on the engine. Some of the cheaper ones are a waste of time and cause roadside emergency.

I have modernised other ignition parts and now the engine starts much more easily.

Good luck Peter

Richard & B