After reading an article in the latest TRAction about rear stub axle failures and the possible life threatening consequences I am a bit concerned !

Is there any way of checking these or should they be replaced every ?? thousand miles as a precaution  ?

Thanks........

I think the only way to test them is to send them for None Destructive Testing (NDT)

Not sure there's a mileage factor involved, they've been breaking since the IRS system came into use.

Personally I decided not to take a chance and fitted CDD hubs when I converted to their CV driveshafts.

Edited by Macleesh

Hi Stuart,

indeed when failure happens the situation is not good.  You lose a wheel and the brakes are compromised.

There is no way to test if and when failure is likely.  You can test to see if a crack is present but that may b e too late.

These axles have done quite a few decades of work with an unknown history of kerbing, fast corners, etc.

New ones are available from Moss and Bastuk.  My Moss hubs are still running very well after 6 years.

If you do consider a refurb it MUST have NEW axles  (rarley carried out)

Roger

Edited by RogerH
23 minutes ago, Macleesh said:

I think the only way to test them is to send them for None Destructive Testing (NDT)

Not sure there's a mileage factor involved, they've been breaking since the IRS system came into use.

Personally I decided not to take a chance and fitted CDD hubs when I converted to their CV driveshafts.

NDT will only tell you that they are cracked. You will not know how much life is left if NO crack is found,  Thus NDT is useless in this case.

The TR cars have had a reasonable history with these axles/hubs The Stags less so.

New hubs should give you many years of reliable service

There have been failures with the CV hubs.

Roger

PS - having just read Neil's comments I agree totally with what he says.

Edited by RogerH

Hi Stuart,

I don’t know what is written at TRAction, this is what I did years ago because of that issue:

the play of the rear hubs is a pain to adjust new,

and because I noticed a noticeable play there my thought was —> why!

I immediately ordered new ones from Goodparts and gave no thought on

reconnecting the original ones and spent any more worry on that problem.

Ciao, Marco 

7 hours ago, Macleesh said:

they've been breaking since the IRS system came into use.

That statement is neither quantifiable or can be proven. Triumph IRS is generally robust & long lived.

In recent years there have been rear hub failures, possibly due to hubs being rebuilt and the stresses put into the components on disassembly. Personally I wouldn't rebuild one  

Jerry

On 1/27/2024 at 4:47 AM, Z320 said:

I immediately ordered new ones from Goodparts and gave no thought on

reconnecting the original ones and spent any more worry on that problem.

Ciao, Marco 

I also went with the Goodparts Hubs, they are really well made:

https://www.goodparts.com/product/rear-hub-assembly-tr4a-tr6-heavy-duty-for-original-axle/

image.png.56ad976128f7dfff56e6a10342d09796.png

I think Goodparts hubs maybe selling fast now!…….or people just fit new OE again from Rimmer/Moss!!???? They look a great piece of kit….. How much sent to the uk I wonder? ££££ ….. birthday soon lol

I bought 2 new ones from Bastuck. One failed after 2 weeks, one is still working (since 8 years or so, but poor milage). The failed Bastuck hub was replaced by a refurbish one from Rimmer. That last for 7 years and low milage. It was replaced by a new designed hub from a German dealer, I think that design is also available from English manufactures and should last forever.

http://www.trshop.co.uk/newsite/product/uprated-rear-hub-tr4a-tr6/ 

9 hours ago, SirHector said:

I think Goodparts hubs maybe selling fast now!…….or people just fit new OE again from Rimmer/Moss!!???? They look a great piece of kit….. How much sent to the uk I wonder? ££££ ….. birthday soon lol

Not sure about custom fees but looks like $500 US for the hubs and shipping direct from Goodparts. Might want to look at their others parts as additional shipping is probably negligible.