fitting the stop tail LED bulbs but the reflector part is very dull / plating missing

as heat is not generated on LEDs i was thinking of gluing baking foil to get a good reflection

que the comments whether good or bad

david

Do the LED bulbs actually need a reflector?

The ones I've seen would appear to only face towards the lens.

Make an interesting experiment to compare without any reflector.

Jerry

Jerry

not sure but the reflectors need painting as the coating is all flaky

i got the ones the forums lads advised they have LEDs at the side and front

David

Edited by dblenk

FWIW the brake LEDs from Classic Car LEDs I installed have LEDs on the sides of them and the outward facing round side. Seem very bright to some following me.

Thanks Rob

i also have the chrome paint in the garage

Steve yes those are the ones i got

going to use the chrome paint it will tidy the holder up then the LEDs should be a good safe set up

thanks everyone

cheers

David

2 minutes ago, dblenk said:

Thanks Rob

i also have the chrome paint in the garage

Steve yes those are the ones i got

going to use the chrome paint it will tidy the holder up then the LEDs should be a good safe set up

thanks everyone

cheers

David

I have used chrome spray paint when restoring the reflectors on my BMW 635 CSi….it worked well. Can recommend 

Earlier this winter I took my lights apart to clean them and change the gaskets.  During the cleaning I was surprised to see how fragile the silver coating in the reflectors is so I used a good quality aluminum tape (3M) to replenish the areas where i had rubbed it off.  I have LEDS also but want my lights to be as bright as possible…

Years ago I had great success with aluminium foil tape to improve tarnished lamp reflectors    It was called speed tape in the aircraft world.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-aluminium-foil-tape-silver-45m-x-75mm/4415v

PS Beware it is conductive.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Peter

remember the chrome looking tape to seal the joints for the insulation on laminate flooring when that was all the craze

moved to tiles and underfloor heating now haha 

the chrome paint i had worked a treat

David

well you know i am not electrical

so done the rear lights 

so a question

fitting LEDs to the stop and tail

does it mater which lead goes to the connector on the bulb holder or does it sort its self out ??? the prong on the bulb one is further up the bilb holder 

obviously i will connect them the same

thanks

David

14 minutes ago, dblenk said:

does it mater which lead goes to the connector on the bulb holder or does it sort its self out ??? the prong on the bulb one is further up the bilb holder 

obviously i will connect them the same

thanks

David

David, just put them in and you're good no orientation required. LED/Bulbs work the same as there is no electric to them unless pedal pressed.

Edited by Steve-B

The bulb base with offset pins are used on a 'dual filament' bulb to make sure you can only fit the bulb one way round, so the connections to each part are correct.

If you are connecting the wires to the  bulbholder it does matter which way round they are.  Get it the wrong way round and the brakelights will be dimmer than the sidelights.