Instruments lights

Hello everybody,

Here are the new LED lights that I put in the instruments of my TR4A. I am very happy with them! Warm and clearly visible.

cruscotto TR4 luci nuove.jpg

That’s exactly what I’d like to do too. How difficult/easy was it, how long did it take you and where did you source your bulbs? Have you also done the external lighting?

David

Wow - positively dazzling!

As I shall be removing 4VC's gearbox (again) when the garage gets warm enough, I think I ought to have a go.

Ian Cornish

2 hours ago, Dady said:

That’s exactly what I’d like to do too. How difficult/easy was it, how long did it take you and where did you source your bulbs? Have you also done the external lighting?

David

Dady, I bought them on ebay at Saibuy.Ltd. It is not a difficult job and it takes maybe a couple of hours, all in all. First you have to remove the tachometer and the speedometer, unscrewing the two rear screws for each, the cables and the bulbs . Then unscrew the screws holding the wooden panel (on the TR4A) and access the 4 small instruments. Two of them have a bayonet connection: I adapted them to the thread with pliers. If you want, buy just these two bulbs with the bayonet connection. Be careful not to disconnect the various wires that pass behind the dashboard when you work. I had also changed the high beam blue lamp but then I reinstalled the original one, as a possible problem of induction in the wires made this light come on briefly when I honked. LEDs are much more sensitive than filament bulbs. But this is just a small detail.

warm white led 12 v negative earth TR4 instruments.png

Does TR4 have a dimmer switch for the instrument lights like last knocking of TR3A had?

If so you need a different sort of dimmer to work with LED bulbs I am told.   

Bob will be along in a while with the link to what he did 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
8 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Does TR4 have a dimmer switch for the instrument lights like last knocking of TR3A had?

If so you need a different sort of dimmer to work with LED bulbs I am told.   

Bob will be along in a while with the link to what he did 

Exactly! If you want to have a dimmer with the LEDs , you must install a potentiometer as suggested but I suggest you to forget about it. The  brightness of the LEDs is fine as it is. The dimmer knob will only be used to turn on the instrument lights. 

I was slightly disappointed when I fitted my LEDS that there appeared to be a colour difference between them although they were all supplied as Warm White. When I mentioned this to the supplier they said that it is essential that they are all supplied from the same batch. The supplier sorted it all out without any questions at all. Very happy with the end result though.

Pics below show the mismatched lights.

Cheers,

Tim

20230526_213906.thumb.jpg.f2706496613728b5eaf5be5fb1c98cea.jpg

20230526_213932.thumb.jpg.1d843f9795cb0847980f19a2210a8317.jpg

Then I was lucky. My bulbs are evidently all from the same batch.The difference in the light tone of the speedometer on the photo I posted is only due to an effect of the cell phone's flash.

Edited by mcgrison
On 1/11/2024 at 7:49 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My early 4 (Jan 1962) doesn't have a dimmer, my 6 had one but it's now redundant!

Dave