After some struggle with my foto files I put my hands on a picture of two 6's in different colours, but still as lovely. The interesting thing here is that the red 6 has a folding soft top integrated in the hardtop, what I have never seen before, up to now I only saw glass panels like the Francorchamps had.

Jean

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Have decided to give my hardtop a good going over.

On inspection there are small areas of rust mainly where the dooe rubbers go. My sprayer thinks it would be a good idea to sand blast it. The blue colour it is now has been sprayed over the original red.

Has any body heard of the Farrow System which is a low pressure non aggressive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards GUY

After some struggle with my foto files I put my hands on a picture of two 6's in different colours, but still as lovely. The interesting thing here is that the red 6 has a folding soft top integrated in the hardtop, what I have never seen before, up to now I only saw glass panels like the Francorchamps had.

Jean

I think it was always possible to fit a Webasto or Weathershield roof into the majority of hardtops.

I had one on an Alpine in 68.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have a Sapphire Blue Tr6, i have just had a look at my steel hardtop.

I bought it years ago from someone who had it stored in their barn, it was in excellent condition but was red.

I had it resprayed to match the car, and looked great on the car. It has not been used for the last three years and has suffered alot of paint splashes , mainly emulsion, from when i painted garage. I recal i did not cover it and thought i will be carefull. With all the care its covered, also has scratches from being moved about etc.

Am thinking of putting it back on the car, however it will need respray. My question is should i keep it the same colour or maybe spray it white.

Trying to imagine it in my mind, what do you think ?? :unsure:

Guy

Hi Jersey Royal

Just come in on this subject (bit late I know) but great reading through the replies etc, I too gianed a hard top from a freinds tip off and it had been stored for some time in a garage and was mustard yellow ( my TR6 is Signal Red ) so I had to change the colour not a problem as the tip off got me a hard top at a silly price silly cheap that is

I had mine sprayed Truimph white ( off white) and also wondered how it would look, however the results have brought some complimentary comments from some very traditionally minded members of my group

I too wanted to put a UJ on the roof but chickened out. this is a very 70s look and being an ageing hippy can remember some very good looking cars with the UJ on the roof

Oilys blue 6 with the hard top on is fantastic, I will post some shots of mine in the next couple of days

see what you think??

Painting your hardtop in any colour other than body colour would look like you've nicked it. :)

Or you ran out of money and couldn't afford to paint it.

.............or a BMC works car, they had white hard tops, never bother to match the body colour. Don't want to be mistaken for a Big Healy or a works MGB do you :blink::D

[

Hi Red Arrow,

Would be nice to see some photos, i have taken the windows and lining out of my top in preparation for a bit of a sand blast whn i can get round to it.

Also i have to add although i think i will have top resprayed to match car , i am still very tempted to have a Union Jack on it !! :rolleyes:

Guy

<_< Guy whoever blasts it make sure that they are very careful with the pressure on the centre unsupported section of the roof its very easy to stretch the metal,(see previous threads about blasting.)

Stuart.

<_< Guy whoever blasts it make sure that they are very careful with the pressure on the centre unsupported section of the roof its very easy to stretch the metal,(see previous threads about blasting.)

Stuart.

Good point Stuart, will make sure i tell them.

Tar Muchly

Guy

• 10 months later...

Well i never got round to finishing hardtop, so am giving it additional thought now

Has anyone ever considered cutting the factory 6 hardtop to make it into a suurrey top?

Having not really seen a surrey top in the metal i am interested to know how the centre section fits and whether a similar method could be used on the Tr6 hardtop?

What do you think? Am i mad or should i stick with the original idea of colour of car wint Union Jack on?

Your thoughts appreciated

Guy

hi mate, how are you.

i had this very same conversation only last week. whilst i consider that the hard top looks better than the soft top and better than the surry top, i dont think that taking two hard tops, doing the metal work, and fitting will result in a happy result. reason is that, imagine the converted hard top in place with the center section removed. to my eye it doesnt quite gel.

conclusion of the conversation was. take two hard tops, cut and shut to produce a steel, factory type sun roof using capri running gear. almost the same desired effect whilst retaining the lines if the roof. webasto sunroofs ruin the lie.

noel

hi mate, how are you.

i had this very same conversation only last week. whilst i consider that the hard top looks better than the soft top and better than the surry top, i dont think that taking two hard tops, doing the metal work, and fitting will result in a happy result. reason is that, imagine the converted hard top in place with the center section removed. to my eye it doesnt quite gel.

conclusion of the conversation was. take two hard tops, cut and shut to produce a steel, factory type sun roof using capri running gear. almost the same desired effect whilst retaining the lines if the roof. webasto sunroofs ruin the lie.

noel

Hi Noel,

Greetings from sunny Jersey today.

I am well, even better for going out for a blast in my motor, abolutely great fun.

With regard to the top, an interesting thought to put in a factory type metal roof, seems like a lot of work when you can just take the thing off. I agree with you about the lines of the hardtop.

Think i will stick to my original plans respray top as is, the one on your car sticks in my mind and looks brilliant. However i know an excellent graphics chap over here and he can do the Union Jack, on the top.

Hope you are well and is great to hear from you.

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy

Just a thought (it's Sunday afternoon and I'm bored).

Don't suppose it's relevant with blue cars but certainly is with red ones:

If you leave your hardtop in the garage and only use it occasionally, you will find it becomes a different colour over the years as your car paint fades and the hardtop doesn't.

It then does not look right on the car even more so than a white one :( .

I have bought a hardtop for my (red) TR6 but will probably paint it white, when I get round to doing it, for that reason.

Also, If I change to another TR6 or respray mine green, I can still use the hardtop as is :D .

Cheers

Tony

Sunny day!!!!!!!. thats a phrase i havent heard for a long time. All we seem to get now is a hole in the clouds. But when tha happens its scramble to the car and follow it.

Got to admit that this summer has put a major dampener on things and eroded my open top driving resolve. i guess its like four wheel drive owners feeling superior during the floods. but they had to wait for x number of years to get any real use. Begining to feel the same way about soft tops.

Got the loud and monster all steel engine fitted. It is much more enjoyable with the hard top stiffening up the car. This is what prompted the conversation last week. Trying to get the best of both worlds.

Could always follow the natural evolution of this and have four wheel drive fitted.

Are you sure its politically correct to have a union jack on the roof. The missus called me a knobhead the other day and i picked her up on sexist remarks.

noel

Are you sure its politically correct to have a union jack on the roof. The missus called me a knobhead the other day and i picked her up on sexist remarks.

noel

Noel,

You may be correct, and this could be sexist, could try it on your hardtop.

Follow this link, which is not politicaly correct and is sexist, you have been warned.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...:en-GB%26sa%3DN

Thanks for you thoughts Tony, you do have a point.

Cheers

Guy

Guy,

before you tie up Noel's sister to your hardtop, could you still tell me, where you got your roll over bar from? Is it fixed to the floor and the deck, or is it completely fixed to the deck?

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I think Noels sister would cause to much turbulance and upset the aerodynamics. :lol:

The Roll Bar was fitted to the car when i bought it 12 years ago, so can say where it came from . Its attached in four places, on the side of wheel arch and on the top deck. It is bolted through onto large thick plates. How much protection it woud offer in the event of a roll over is debateable. It may help stiffen up the rear end though. As i do not as yet use the car on the track its not a problem.

Think it had a green label on it with "Alleybar" on it. Am sure you can obtain a suitable roll bar , dependant on the use you want from it from all the main Tr Suppliers, however i know that Revington have a stock of them , as i helped them load some into there vans for Malvern 07, (there vans got turned back due to the floods )

Regards

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Hardtop is finally in the hands of the spray shop, they will be "slotting it in". :rolleyes:

I have decided on the colour of the top, which i will be keeping quiet on. ;) Oileys sister or not

I am replacing headlining once i find a supplier .

I have a question though, is it worthwhile sticking some sort of sound proofing or insulation material to the underside of the top , obvoiusly prior to fitting new headlining. ?

Also i have mislaid the two vent covers, i have looked at a couple of suppliers however these parts seem to be unavailable.

Doies any one know of a source, or is it better to make some .?

Thatks for you input

Regards

Guy

Update.

Hardtop is finally in the hands of the spray shop, they will be "slotting it in". :rolleyes:

I have decided on the colour of the top, which i will be keeping quiet on. ;) Oileys sister or not

I am replacing headlining once i find a supplier .

I have a question though, is it worthwhile sticking some sort of sound proofing or insulation material to the underside of the top , obvoiusly prior to fitting new headlining. ?

Also i have mislaid the two vent covers, i have looked at a couple of suppliers however these parts seem to be unavailable.

Doies any one know of a source, or is it better to make some .?

Thatks for you input

Regards

Guy

Guy

TR Trader have some on eBay at the moments item number 330169013000

Auctions ends soon. Just noticed highest bidder is guyt**** - probably you! Better to be told about them twice than not at all and miss them!

Pogo

http://cp54542.co.uk/

Guy

When i had my liner put on i wish i had got it lined. I dont know how much of a difference it will make but better to do it than not. I will try to relocate the name of the firm that did the lining. A most excellent job was done. They had liner left over from a bently refit that matched the beige colour of my interior. Make sure to treat the inside of the pillars and ensure the windows are well sealed.

Noel

Sister sends best wishes

Edited by oily

If it's not too late, you can put carpet underlayment against the roof affixed with spray adhesive. I've done (3) surrey tops this way and they seem to have the same style of listing rods for the headlining - it's tight but the underlayment will fit between these and the roof.

I would expect this to be quieter than a padded headliner since it contacts the drum surface directly.

Thanks Pogo, Oily and Tom,

For your input.

I have ordered some 12mm felt from a company called wollies. And no not Woolworths, :lol: , see link below

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/

Some interesting stuff.

Oily, Regards to your sister, hope shes not been stuffing her face (i didnt say that) :lol:

Dont want her putting on weight, only just redone front suspension.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal