B737 Max - more problems

Just a short while ago Alaskan Airways had a serious decompression when a fuselage body panel decided to leave the aircraft - ooer!

It looks very different to the Aloha Airlines B737 that lost its roof quite a while ago.

The panels are chemically thinned where they are not attached to the structure. The pictures on the TV looked as if this thinned area had failed.

But Why!!!!

Roger

It looks as though the fixings have given way as the whole panel has disappeared quite neatly - not a ragged hole as such. I looks like this is an emergency door: 

737.jpg.9bbd075b04b1e579fcbd5e0a2b6a06c9.jpg

On the 737Max9 there are these behind the wing on each side:

7372.jpg.6d784e121f900030ea63220801efd9c1.jpg

" If it's Boeing, I ain't going "

Edited by RobH

If you are going Norwegian Air, they fly a mix of older 737s, (300s, 500s and 800s) which have a good safety record. They also have the newer 737Max8 which is shorter than the above Max9 so doesn't have that door. :D

I bet all the airlines are double-checking doors now..... :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, RobH said:

If you are going Norwegian Air, they fly a mix of older 737s, (300s, 500s and 800s) which have a good safety record. They also have the newer 737Max8 which is shorter than the above Max9 so doesn't have that door. :D

I bet all the airlines are double-checking doors now..... :rolleyes:

Thanks Rob 

Yes it's Norwegian and after checking the booking I see it's  an 800 :)

George 

Hi George,

There are a number of emergency exits and are usually  very safe.

However, ALWAYS keep your seat belt done up.

The news this morning did not say it was a door that fell off but a panel that blew out - significant difference.

Roger

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

The news this morning did not say it was a door that fell off but a panel that blew out - significant difference.

The photo I posted is a clip from here Roger of the actual plane.  The reports seem to have become 'garbled', quel surprise,  but the picture is here at 2:13:

edit- the first video was removed from youtube but this one shows the same.

Edited by RobH
add new video

Looks to me comparing photo and drawing, it was door or emergency exit. Lucky it did not impact the tail plane.

That section of the fuselage is either a window or an emergency exit depending on the airline/spec

……. Andy

2 hours ago, harlequin said:

Well if it happens again on Monday I will be able to let you know if it was a door or a panel :unsure:

George 

Keep your seatbelt fastened, just in case... ;)

Pete

20 minutes ago, stillp said:

Keep your seatbelt fastened, just in case... ;)

Pete

‘Twas always thus :) 

The British method of fitting these emergency exit doors was such that once it was unlocked it had to be brought into the cabin  (just a few inches)                          and then tossed outside.  The door was bigger than the hole. The structure holds it in place.

It would appear that this door exited straight out    Interesting design.

Roger

29 minutes ago, RogerH said:

The British method of fitting these emergency exit doors was such that once it was unlocked it had to be brought into the cabin  (just a few inches)                          and then tossed outside.  The door was bigger than the hole. The structure holds it in place.

Roger

As Boeing use robots to rivet skins to spars perhaps the robot ran out of rivets but just got on with the job.   No software to detect whether the rivet hole was actually filled and the rivet swaged?  Perhaps the  method must be approved by the FAA.

Question now is will Ireland’s second national carrier (Ryanair) be thinking hard about its commitment to buy 150 of these aircraft ?

Did anyone else listen to the BBC radio play called Plane Speaking?   All about the components of a 737Max discussing their lives before they fell out the sky.   I notice the BBC have suspended it from their iplayer.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
32 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Roger

Same door arrangement MD used in the DC10 as seen disintegrating at Paris when a Turkish Airlines aircraft freight door blew out  That failure was due to integrity of latch construction.  You could close the external locking handle of the freight door when the latch bolts, door to airframe, were not engaged.   Thankfully for B737 Max the panel that blew out carried no flight control cabling as was the case of the DC 10 

How many more crashes, deaths and emergencies will the aviation regulators allow before this version of the plane is declared unsafe?

Hi Pete,

I thought that the cabling on the DC10 didn't go near the door but the pressure differential between cabin and freight bay caused the floors to collapse

thus trapping the cables.

Roger

18 minutes ago, Steve-B said:

How many more crashes, deaths and emergencies will the aviation regulators allow before this version of the plane is declared unsafe?

Hi Steve,

sadly flying is still a risky business.  There are many issues that never see the light of publicity but only just by a dab of luck.

It is only when something topical keeps popping up that the news boys start a hulabaloo.

The B737Max has had more than its share of problems.  Boeing have not done well.

If you get rid of the aircraft another will replace it given time.

A friend of mine wenbt to Boeing in the mid 80's and all was very good. Then they changed their management style and the bean counters came in.

Disaster suddenly struck.  You can't run an aerospace manufacturing industry on a show string.  You can make savings, but with caution.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

I thought that the cabling on the DC10 didn't go near the door but the pressure differential between cabin and freight bay caused the floors to collapse

thus trapping the cables.

Roger

Yes that is my understanding. the passenger floor collapsed onto the control cables etc.

So, how long before a family refuse to fly to their holiday destination on a 737.Max?   And that spreads  panic and objection through the air travelling public.    At least you should be able to check what aircraft your carrier have scheduled to complete the flight you have chosen to use.   Could be a lot of empty seats on 737 Max aeroplanes.

Interesting reports coming out today that the plane in question had recently been restricted to only flying over land as the decompression warning lights had come on on more than one previous flight.