Is there a knack?

Hi all, no doubt me being dumb (again). Realised the choke isn't completely closed when knob pushed home - no doubt relates to rich running prob. Despite repeatedly adjusting inner cable I can still manually just nudge the lever a smidgeon. Suspect the linkages in the mechanism or brittle SU cork seals are the problem.

Got SU service kits but am somewhat intimidated by this never having done this before.

TIA for help/ideas

Please wait while image is uploading...

Hi John, what carbs do you have ?

Ralph

Is the choke inner a solid wire or a bicycle type twisted multi strand type.

the former work both pulling and pushing it back the later doesn’t like the pushing and will need strong springs to drag the choke mechanism back to closed.

H6 carbs with solid wire inner choke cable

9 hours ago, John Mellor said:

H6 carbs with solid wire inner choke cable

Right, firstly the H6s can be a b---er to set the choke up so it works correctly on both carbs. I managed it on mine after fitting new brass lever assemblies as these can wear badly at the pivot points, fitting new pull off springs and careful adjusting of the interconnecting rod. I always adjust the choke cable so the knob does not go fully home when the choke is off, leaving it about 6mm out from the bezel, that way you can apply pressure to push the linkages the final bit to make sure the choke is fully off.

Secondly, if the car is running otherwise OK, then unless you have a problem with fuel leaking out of the bottom of the carbs I would leave well alone, especially if you are not sure about doing the job, as not only will it upset all the carb adjustment, but you could end up with more problems than you started with.

Start by disconnecting the interconnecting rod from the front carb and work on getting the front choke working properly, then reconnect the link rod and adjust until the rear carb works in harmony with the front.

If after doing the adjustments to cable, rods, springs etc, if the chokes still stick on I would limit your tinkering to removing the jet tube carefully which can be done after removing the pin that goes through the fork at the bottom of the tube and it will then slide out. Clean it with a non abrasive cleaner such as Duraglit to remove any crud which can build up where the brass tube passes through the cork seals. Oil it lightly and carefully slide it back into place, do not use force as it passes through the small cork seal as they are easy to damage.

Hope this helps,

Ralph

John - why don't you contact Glen at GW Carbs in Bicknacre, not very far from you, who do a superb job of reconditioning both H6 and HS6 Carbs - they will also bead blast your manifold and sort out all your linkages so they come back better than new

https://www.sucarbs.co.uk/gallery/      

GW Carbs:

07803 593126

Cheers Rich

Richard,

How does this company compare with Andrew Turner please? I want the SU carbs off my early TR4 reconditioned together with the operating mechanism.

Thanks

Graham

4 minutes ago, Grahamgl said:

Richard,

How does this company compare with Andrew Turner please? I want the SU carbs off my early TR4 reconditioned together with the operating mechanism.

Thanks

Graham

AFIK Andrew Turner has retired.

Stuart.

Stuart,

I was in email contact with him less than a month ago when he quoted me for the work.

Graham

1 hour ago, Grahamgl said:

Richard,

Thanks

Graham

Graham - I think you would struggle to find a difference between the two in terms of their quality and finished product - Glen has done a few complete H6 set ups for me over the years with no issues as far as I am aware.

See attached photos 

PM me if you want further info

Cheers Rich

IMG_0138 (1).jpg -Resized.jpg

IMG_0137 (1).jpg -Resized.jpg

4 hours ago, Grahamgl said:

Stuart,

I was in email contact with him less than a month ago when he quoted me for the work.

Graham

OK thanks, I do my own but its good to know he is still doing them.

Stuart.

Many thanks folks, good info in these replies

John M