tr3 steering box oil seal

Hi All and Happy New year

I currently have the front apron off to fix a cooling issue and thought I should try and fix the steering box oil leak.

So I ask for your guidance - Can I change the seal with the box in situ.

Looking at the box it seems that I could remove the drop arm and slip off the trunnion by undoing the bolts.

Is the seal pressed in place and also can the bush be changed by this method

Thank you for your advise in advance

Regards

Brian

1 hour ago, RobH said:

If wear in the 'box is not an issue, just a small oil weep,  you could change to one of the semi-fluid greases like this Penrite one. 

https://penriteoil.com.au/products/semi-fluid-steering-box-grease

Yes that’s a good solution and what many recommend.

7 hours ago, iain said:

Yes that’s a good solution and what many recommend.

Slow to fill though worth the effort

If you feel the rest of the steering box needs restoring it is best to remove it entirely rathe than grovel about doing a fraction of the task.

Replacing the drop arm bush means pressing it out, a new one back and then reaming to size.    Fit the seal last and protect the inside of the seal lips from the sharp edges of the drop arm spline.   They will cut it otherwise and perhaps cause a leak.

Do not hammer the drop arm in situ.  You may chip the worm.    RH helix worm is for RHDrive TR.

On 12/30/2023 at 6:33 PM, iain said:

... it’s slow to fill...

I fitted a grease nipple to the top of the box (In the centre of the usual fill plug) and and have a small grease gun filled with the thicker Penrite oil. It can also be used on the front suspension trunions.

Charlie.

8 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

I fitted a grease nipple to the top of the box (In the centre of the usual fill plug) and and have a small grease gun filled with the thicker Penrite oil. It can also be used on the front suspension trunions.

Charlie.

Neat idea! 

On 12/30/2023 at 6:33 PM, iain said:

Agree it’s slow to fill……best done after a good run, let the engine heat sink into the steering column, then use warmed semi fluid grease. 

stand the oil bottle in boiling water beforehand :) 

Hi All

Thank you for the responses and advice.

As there is not much play in the steering I think I will leave it alone. I have purchased the Penrite grease and will live with any leaking until absolutely necessary.

At some stage may look for another box to renovate at my leisure so will have a backup.

Regards

Brian